Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Teams during the summer do not have legal jerseys,
Why does this constantly happen?
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

I have worked summer leagues where this is an option and I agree that it is a great tool.

However, when it is not an option and an official suggests that you do that it might be a good idea to agree. If not, the next foul on that player just might be flagrant Not saying I would do that...but it could happen.

Would you rather sit the player for a few minutes or sit them for the rest of the game?
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 10:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
It is summer, that is why?

Are you telling me where you live they play all the rules during summer that they play during the regular season?

Where I am and even in my experience in other states, summer games are running clock games where you are lucky if they even keep track of fouls, individual points or any regular stats. There are games were we will not even shoot bonus FTs like a normal game and we certainly do not have the same substitution standards.

The purpose of summer leagues are to be exposed to their high school coaches and players and give kids a chance to play or run their systems so that they are familiar with what they will be doing when real practice starts. Heck teams are even lucky to have all their players playing during any particular game, league or tournament.

It seems like there is this total disconnect for what summer is for most of us.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Teams during the summer do not have legal jerseys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
It isn't a huge amount but it is cheaper to use 6, 7, 8, and 9 than to use double digits. An extra dollar or so per digit, front and back, on either a reversible jersey or two sets adds up with 10-15 players.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 11:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It isn't a huge amount but it is cheaper to use 6, 7, 8, and 9 than to use double digits. An extra dollar or so per digit, front and back, on either a reversible jersey or two sets adds up with 10-15 players.
I am sure that is the case, but I did not work a tournament this summer yet (for high school) that kept track of any personal fouls. And team fouls were not tracked the same in many cases either. Some did not even shoot FTs until the last minute or couple minutes of the game. I doubt jersey cost is an issue when leagues are not using those rules as normal in the first place.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Might vary by locality, but at the (very few) games I've been at, it looked like teams were just wearing their reversable practice shirts -- including two-digit numbers in the 60s and 70s.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. The summer camp actually did keep fouls which is why I would have preferred just calling an offensive foul if he saw it that way, so that maybe the player would have learned something from the play. And like I said I complied happily, just wanted some clarification since I couldn't find any reference for the situation in a rulebook... unless my players jersey got pulled out from the wrestling.

Thanks for the helpful replies.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 04:18pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Cameron - Interesting. That's really the first viable explanation I've heard. But, I'll have to keep an eye out to see if I see more 8s and 9s than 72's and 67's.

I know I have a league that only has numbers on the front for this reason. Pain in the butt to try and find a number sometime. But, they have a running clock, so, it's not that big a deal to ask them to turn around.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Might vary by locality, but at the (very few) games I've been at, it looked like teams were just wearing their reversable practice shirts -- including two-digit numbers in the 60s and 70s.
This is what we see. Most of the time they are just a practice jersey that might have any number on them because they came in a pack. I am not even convinced they asked for specific numbers most of the time. And there are even kids that have no jersey, but some T-shirt that may not even have the school's name on them.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 04:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The summer camp actually did keep fouls which is why I would have preferred just calling an offensive foul if he saw it that way, so that maybe the player would have learned something from the play. And like I said I complied happily, just wanted some clarification since I couldn't find any reference for the situation in a rulebook... unless my players jersey got pulled out from the wrestling.

I cannot speak for your camp or league, but many times where I live these are overall teaching environments. They are places to teach kids things they might not get during the regular season. I know I talk to players a lot more during the summer than I ever would during the season. I would suspect that that is what the official was doing and the rules based on the laid back nature of these things was giving you a chance to correct the situation without calling a T or even making a higher level call like an intentional or flagrant. Again a lot of this is based on the culture of these games, which is why many are not talking about rules in these kinds of situations. Usually rules would complicate these situations when you do not keep track of fouls and not shoot all the proper FTs.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 10, 2015, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

penalty box

A few years back, my son was playing in a junior high summer tournament in Oregon. One of his teammates was a known hot head who was getting close to boiling. When he got too physical on a play, the ref called a common foul, then came over to the bench and said, "32 out, two minutes, pushing." I thought to myself, "We're at a hockey game?"

Coach put him on the bench for 2 minutes, the kid cooled down, came back in and finished the game with no problems.

At that level, at that venue, I thought it was a great piece of officiating.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2015, 11:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post

Regular season (high school or above), it might be worth challenging him, or suggesting he just call the PC foul. There is no rule justification for doing this.

Summer ball where the rules are "adjusted" a bit (either officially or unofficially), sit your player down and send him right back in.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2015, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP View Post
A few years back, my son was playing in a junior high summer tournament in Oregon. One of his teammates was a known hot head who was getting close to boiling. When he got too physical on a play, the ref called a common foul, then came over to the bench and said, "32 out, two minutes, pushing." I thought to myself, "We're at a hockey game?"

Coach put him on the bench for 2 minutes, the kid cooled down, came back in and finished the game with no problems.

At that level, at that venue, I thought it was a great piece of officiating.
Mark Padgett reffed your son's game? Cool.