The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 25, 2015, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Disallow the Goal?

This is a play that happened in a 3-on-3 game between some Old School work buddies down at the park after work last night.

A1 makes a short jump shot which passes thru the hoop. As the ball is traveling downward thru the net, and is probably 2/3 of the way thru the travel, player A2 contacts the net. The ball finishes traveling thru the net and exits downward, falling on the ground for an apparent Team A victory. Team B self-designated captain, protests that this was illegal contact with the net, and the goal is disallowed and a violation is called on Team A, giving Team B the possession out top.

What is the correct call?
Old Thu Jun 25, 2015, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Grab a rules book and read the definition of basket interference.
Old Thu Jun 25, 2015, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Basket interference by rule. However, I've seen officials not call it when a player just swipes a finger on the net.
Old Thu Jun 25, 2015, 09:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpshooter40 View Post
This is a play that happened in a 3-on-3 game between some Old School work buddies down at the park after work last night.

A1 makes a short jump shot which passes thru the hoop. As the ball is traveling downward thru the net, and is probably 2/3 of the way thru the travel, player A2 contacts the net. The ball finishes traveling thru the net and exits downward, falling on the ground for an apparent Team A victory. Team B self-designated captain, protests that this was illegal contact with the net, and the goal is disallowed and a violation is called on Team A, giving Team B the possession out top.

What is the correct call?
Did y'all tell them that was a weak-a$$ call?
Old Thu Jun 25, 2015, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Did y'all tell them that was a weak-a$$ call?
Not sure if you remember the play, but this happened in one of your camp games last Saturday!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jun 25, 2015, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, this is an infraction by the letter of the rule but I've never called it short of it actually affecting the shot...a mere touch of the bottom of the net is not what the rule was intended to address.
Old Thu Jun 25, 2015, 02:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Not sure if you remember the play, but this happened in one of your camp games last Saturday!
Most definitely. I was Lead tableside at the opposite end of the court from you and Mark. I had an And-1 and I saw a hand pull on the net as the ball was about to drop completely through.

Did Mark have any thoughts on it? He didn't say anything about the play after the game.
Old Thu Jun 25, 2015, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Most definitely. I was Lead tableside at the opposite end of the court from you and Mark. I had an And-1 and I saw a hand pull on the net as the ball was about to drop completely through.

Did Mark have any thoughts on it? He didn't say anything about the play after the game.
We talked on the play briefly. Mark asked if it was a rule difference between the NBA vs NFHS/NCAA. Under NBA rules, it's not a violation unless the pulling of the net causes the ball to take an unnatural bounce.

All and all, said it was a good one to lay off on.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jun 25, 2015, 10:04pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Under NBA rules, it's not a violation unless the pulling of the net causes the ball to take an unnatural bounce.
Which is the intent of the NFHS/NCAA rule and the way I call it.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Which is the intent of the NFHS/NCAA rule and the way I call it.
It is?

Quote:
9.11.1 SITUATION D:

The ball is on the ring of Team A's basket when A1 hits the net.

RULING: Basket interference by A1. No goal. The ball became dead when A1 touched the net as it is part of the basket. (4-6; 6-7-9)

NCAAM A.R. 225/NCAAW A.R. 231:

Before the ball is in flight for a two-point try, A1 is fouled in the act of shooting. A1’s try enters the basket. A2 touches the ring while the ball is in the basket.

RULING: Basket interference on A2. The goal shall be canceled. A1 shall be awarded two free throws because of the foul. (Rule 9-18.3 and 10-1 Penalty d[1])
I realize the NCAA case book plays only mention the ring but there aren't any that mention the net. However, since touching the net while the ball is within the basket is also BI under both codes I'll take a leap of faith that the ruling would be the same.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
It is?

I realize the NCAA case book plays only mention the ring but there aren't any that mention the net. However, since touching the net while the ball is within the basket is also BI under both codes I'll take a leap of faith that the ruling would be the same.
I see it happen quite often and have yet to have seen it called even once. In all the times I've seen it there has never been a word said about it by coaches, announcers, players, or anyone around the game. Most people realize that merely touching the net as the ball is falling through or on the rim really isn't enough to affect the shot. Grabbing the net is, of course, different.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I see it happen quite often and have yet to have seen it called even once. In all the times I've seen it there has never been a word said about it by coaches, announcers, players, or anyone around the game. Most people realize that merely touching the net as the ball is falling through or on the rim really isn't enough to affect the shot. Grabbing the net is, of course, different.
Oh, I understand that part. However, the day one of my NCAAW or HS assignors tells me the intent of the rule is "it's not a violation unless the pulling of the net causes the ball to take an unnatural bounce" will be the first.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Oh, I understand that part. However, the day one of my NCAAW or HS assignors tells me the intent of the rule is "it's not a violation unless the pulling of the net causes the ball to take an unnatural bounce" will be the first.
Every time they see this play and don't criticize the officials for not calling it, they are effectively doing exactly that.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 03:40pm
Stubborn Member

What's the definition of "on" the rim?

The OP makes it sound like the ball had already gone past the ring. At that point it doesn't sound like the ball is "on" the rim, and therefore should be counted.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
What's the definition of "on" the rim?

The OP makes it sound like the ball had already gone past the ring. At that point it doesn't sound like the ball is "on" the rim, and therefore should be counted.

ART. 1 . . . Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.