The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Why disallow the basket?

I am confused by the rationale here, but I'll try talking out loud to see if I can answer my own question:

Q- A1's pass strikes A2 on the shoulder. As the ball is in flight, time expires. Ball enters the basket. Official disallows the basket. Is he correct?

Answer- Yes. (I was wrong, I said No)

We discussed this in class and the explanation was that the pass is not a try, tap or shot, therefore the goal is disallowed. I need further explanation...

However, I see that the goal is allowed if time has NOT expired (Case Book 5.1.1(a)). I also see that R 5.1.1 says a "goal is scored when a live ball enters the basket..."

It seems to me that this is an definition issue- live ball/dead ball. The ball is dead once time expires, except if there is a try or tap for a basket. Since the pass was not a try or tap, the ball is dead on the expiration of time, but the actual try or tap ball remains alive until the try for goal is good, or misses. Did I miss anything?

Being honest, I would have counted that basket 10 out of 10 times this past year if it happened. I guess that's why us young'uns go to class...

Z
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 12:57pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Talking to yourself really helps, doesn't it?

Since the pass was not a try, then the ball becomes dead immediately when the horn sounds to end the period. Once the ball becomes dead, no goal can be scored when it passes through the basket.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:03pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
I am confused by the rationale here, but I'll try talking out loud to see if I can answer my own question:
Looks like you did just that, way to go!
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Well done, Z. It's always nice when you can talk yourself through something.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

This would be like the long full court shot at the buzzer situation that after the buzzer goes off and the shot hits about the free throw line and then goes in the basket it doesn't count either because the shot/try has ended after it hit the floor! But if there was still time on the clock it would count!!! Crazy situation and have seen it happen, basket was ruled good too....Opps!!
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Also - don't forget that in the situation where the clock was still running, this would always be a two pointer even if the original shot was taken from behind the three point line.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 06:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Talk About A Headache ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Don't forget that in the situation where the clock was still running, this would always be a two pointer even if the original shot was taken from behind the three point line.
What if a long full court shot hit a teammate, who was behind the three point arc, on the head, bounced off his head, and went in, before the buzzer sounded? I think, three. Pretty sure.

What if a long full court shot hit an opponent, who was behind the three point arc, on the head, bounced off his head, and went in, before the buzzer sounded? I think two, but I'm not sure.

Same two scenarios, but the trail official decides that it's a long pass, not a shot? I don't think that this changes the answers that I gave above.

Help???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)