Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 08:24am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Camron's right. If the goal is for sleeves/tights to be black, white, beige or the predominant color of the jersey then write that into the rule.
What? Color restrictions were written into the rule last year.

Basketball Comments on the Rules - 2014-15

By on November 21, 2014

TEAM MEMBER’S EQUIPMENT, APPAREL (3-5-3 NEW): The 2013-14 rule implementation regarding arm and leg sleeves was difficult to monitor and enforce by contest officials and coaches. Anything worn on the arm and/or leg is considered to be a sleeve, except a knee brace, and shall meet the color restrictions. Tights that extend below the knee are now legal and must meet the color restrictions by rule. Medical verification of arm and leg compression sleeves has been eliminated. All sleeves/tights shall be the same solid color per individual player. The sleeves/tights shall be black, white, beige or the predominant color of the uniform. The same color arm and leg sleeves/tights shall be worn by all teammates. For example, the guidelines specify that if white arm sleeves are worn, then the leg sleeves/tights must also be white.

All they did this year is say that they must all match, they didn't take away the color restrictions.
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 09:27am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
My 2nd camp ever ( 1989 ) I believe....Dallas Shirley jumped all over a bunch of us for using the term "baseline ".....from that point on I have always said end line... For you guys west of the Appalachian Mountains, there was no other like J. Dallas Shirley....considering he is in the HOF in Springfield it is END LINE. Case closed !!!!

I agree that it is the ENDLINE and not the baseline. And don't forget J. Dallas' most famous quote: "Never say never and never say always!"

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
My thing with this session of deciding on rules/mechanics/signals, I don't even think there had to be too many drastic rules changes (though what was asked of us in the survey suggested that big changes will be in the way in the future)...

If you don't want to change too much this year rules wise, is it too much to add some f'n signals to the book?! There are so many common signals that could have been added especially this year...borrowed from the pro/college ranks, that are easy and give clear information. Off the topic of my head:

Hit to the head
Hook
Armbar
Two hands on the dribbler
Trip
Chuck
Violation of verticality (some would say the frankenstein signal)

I'm probably forgetting a signal or two (punch all "offensive fouls" or fists for a blocking foul)...but the point is we could add so many more signals that would more clearly denote what type of foul is called...

Yet they add a signal that officials have been using for at least 10 years already. Most officials are gonna see that "change" and think it was already in the books already.
+1. Like I said before, the irony for me is that the evaluated perception of my game is better when I do use these signals to more effectively communicate. Occasionally I stumble across a federation purist who reads me the riot act regarding "approved signals," and I pretend to care, keep my mouth shut, and then move on. Oddly, my schedule continues to improve each year, anyway.
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My thing with this session of deciding on rules/mechanics/signals, I don't even think there had to be too many drastic rules changes (though what was asked of us in the survey suggested that big changes will be in the way in the future)...

If you don't want to change too much this year rules wise, is it too much to add some f'n signals to the book?! There are so many common signals that could have been added especially this year...borrowed from the pro/college ranks, that are easy and give clear information. Off the topic of my head:

Hit to the head
Hook
Armbar
Two hands on the dribbler
Trip
Chuck
Violation of verticality (some would say the frankenstein signal)

Why do they need a signal for this...

Old Fri May 22, 2015, 03:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Signal Suggestions ...

Quote:
... is it too much to add some f'n signals to the book?
I give these (below) signal suggestions to IAABO every year, and get rejected every year.

1) Change “Delayed Lane Violation” to “Delayed Dead Ball: Withheld Whistle” to allow for delayed free throw violations that do not involve a lane violation, i.e. disconcertion, or three point arc violation.

Rationale: Presently, IAABO does not have a signal for delayed violations such as disconcertion, or a three point arc violation. IAABO only has a signal for a delayed violation on a lane violation.

2) Add supplemental “Intentional Foul: Excessive Contact” signal.

Rationale: Adding this signal to the chart will allow officials to differentiate between intentional fouls for “excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball” from the other types of intentional fouls.

3) Change “Five Second Closely Guarded”” to “Five Second Closely Guarded And Five Second Throwin Violation”

Rationale: Presently, there is no signal on the IAABO chart for a five second throwin violation. It’s the same signal for a five second closely guarded violation, but it’s not specifically described in the IAABO signal chart label.

4) Add “Shooter Has Foot Touching Three Point Line” signal.

Rationale: This signal has been used in Connecticut successfully for several years. It gives coaches, fans, and scorekeepers more information than the signals that we presently use for three point attempts. With this signal, coaches, fans, and scorekeepers will know, for sure, that the successful attempt will only be two points.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 22, 2015 at 03:29pm.
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 03:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Color Anarchy ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... color of head bands and wrist bands. Remember we had no color restrictions of these items before.
Nor did we have color restrictions on undershirts before such a rule ("The Patrick Ewing Rule") was added in the NFHS rulebook.

In fact, Dr. Naismith’s original Thirteen Rules Of Basketball didn't have any rules regarding the color of uniforms, or equipment. Nothing about color. Period. But rules evolve over time, sometimes, unfortunately, becoming quite, in my opinion regarding wrist bands, headbands, and sleeves, burdensome.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 22, 2015 at 03:44pm.
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 03:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well we are not talking about undershirts. The undershirt rule was changed several more years ago. I believe that rule was changed in the 90s.

Peace
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 07:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wasn't This A George Carlin Routine ???

Quote:
... why do they care what color stuff is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
To be able to easily identify teams, and numbers. I worked a boys high school varsity scrimmage back in the fall where both teams wore scrimmage vests, one team blue, and the other team white. Because it was only a scrimmage, we let both teams wear any color undershirt that the players wanted to wear, and we ended up with about a half dozen different color undershirts, including opponents with the same color undershirts. It was not very easy to identify teams, especially during rebounding action under the basket. Granted, the NFHS has gone overboard with some of the "Fashion Police" rules, but same of the color rules are really needed.
Quote:
... undershirts, one of the items some consider to be a frivolous "Fashion Police" issue.
Quote:
Well we are not talking about undershirts.
Maybe you weren't, but I certainly was, as an example of why "they care what color stuff is", and I see no reason why I can't be part of "we". "Stuff" can refer to an undershirt because some believe that undershirts fall under frivolous "Fashion Police" issues.

Now if you want to call color restrictions on wrist bands, headbands, and sleeves, "frivolous", then we can certainly agree on that.

Old Fri May 22, 2015, 07:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe you weren't, but I certainly was, as an example of why "they care what color stuff is", and I see no reason why I can't be part of "we". "Stuff" can refer to an undershirt because some believe that undershirts fall under frivolous "Fashion Police" issues.

Now if you want to call color restrictions on wrist bands, headbands, and sleeves, "frivolous", then we can certainly agree on that.
No where in this conversation or in the new rules is there anything about undershirts. And the undershirts have nothing to do with color rules of headbands/wristbands or sleeves/tights. The rule is clear on undershirts, they have to match the jersey. People are not going to be possibly wearing 10 different jerseys. They can and will 10 different versions of the items were are discussing and are in the current rules announcement. Because they do not have a restriction on socks or shoes which can be all types of colors. So why worry about some other item that a school does not purchase or administer their players to wear directly.

Peace
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
All they did this year is say that they must all match, they didn't take away the color restrictions.
According to the release linked in this thread, they did. The one sentence referencing sleeves/tights does not mention colors at all.

Yes, colors were listed last year. We all agree. It appears, however, they've been removed. That's the crux of this whole discussion.
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 09:05pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
According to the release linked in this thread, they did. The one sentence referencing sleeves/tights does not mention colors at all.

Yes, colors were listed last year. We all agree. It appears, however, they've been removed. That's the crux of this whole discussion.
Or maybe they just paraphrased it in the release. I guess we will see when the books come out.
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post

My mistake. OK is right. NF only changed the specifics of 3-5-3c. 3-5-3a specifies the colors of sleeves/tights.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 11:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I've Joined The Conversation ...

Quote:
No where in this conversation or in the new rules is there anything about undershirts.
New rules? You are correct. No reference to undershirts.

Conversation? You are incorrect, even if it's only me.

Question was asked:

Quote:
... why do they care what color stuff is?
An answer was offered:

Quote:
To be able to easily identify teams, and numbers.
One could speculate that another possible reason is that the NFHS wants to prevent a motley mix of uniform, and equipment, colors that could possibly take away from the integrity, and dignity, of the game.

Undershirts can be "stuff", especially to those officials who hate being "Fashion Police", and who may consider color restrictions on undershirts to be frivolous (we have a few of these officials here in my little corner of Connecticut). Perhaps if you had added a modifier, i.e., "this stuff", instead of just, "stuff", then I may not have used undershirts as an example of a necessary color restriction based on the scrimmage example that I stated.

It appears that the NFHS believes that allowing a variety of colors for wrist bands, headbands, and sleeves, may make it more difficult for officials to "easily identify teams, and numbers", just as they probably believe the same problem exists for a variety of colors for jerseys, and undershirts.

My general point, not specific to just undershirts, is that there could be, in theory, a continuum that runs from total freedom from any color restrictions (Dr. Naismith’s original Thirteen Rules Of Basketball), which we can all agree would be difficult to officiate, to color restrictions for everything worn from headbands, and hair control devices, all the way down to underwear, shorts, compression shorts, socks, and shoes ("Fashion Gestapo"), which we could all agree would be unbelievably burdensome to officiate.

The NFHS has decided on color restrictions for uniforms, and equipment, that lies somewhere along that continuum.

It's where the NFHS draws that line in the "continuum sand" that we continually debate here on the Forum.

Many, including me, could argue that color restrictions on wrist bands, headbands, and sleeves, go a little too far, and should be outside the realm of game officials (but I'm still enforcing the rule).

A few, not including me, may argue that color restrictions on undershirts go too far (and sometimes choose not to enforce said rule).

Bottom line, the NFHS does have to "care what color stuff is", to be able to easily identify teams, and numbers, and, possibly, to protect the integrity, and dignity, of the game.

The devil is in the detail.

I remember when the only NFHS color restrictions were home team light (not just white) color jerseys, and road team dark color jerseys. Period. Over the three and a half decades that I've been officiating, the NFHS has expanded their definition of "stuff" to the point where, recently, they sent out a survey asking opinions on further expanding the definition of "stuff" to include socks.

When does the madness stop? Someday, in the future, the NFHS may limit the basketball to an exact, specific, color. Wait? I'm being told ... What? Pantone Matching System Orange 151, Red-Orange 173, or Brown 1535? What the hell does that mean? ... Never mind.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 23, 2015 at 01:59pm.
Old Sat May 23, 2015, 01:15pm
Back from the DL

Finally got around to reading the NFHS rule-change release, and found this little gem:

Quote:
The committee ... urged fouls to be called when violations occur.
Oof, that could get messy.
Old Sat May 23, 2015, 03:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Ok....

If you say so Billy, but thanks for interjecting something no one here was talking about. I am not talking about basketballs, undershirts and color of the darn rim or backboard.

I was talking about these rules the NF keeps playing around with and putting color restrictions on which no one cares about. Let the damn kids wear whatever they like. Maybe you make it where they can wear one solid color, but who cares if it is green or red or black. It causes too many conflicts that we do not need to have. The schools do not issue these things, so why cares what color they wear. All we need is to determine the jersey color. Heck the pants can be 10 different colors under the rules, but we are worried about a head band that is mostly used to keep sweat out of your eyes.

Peace
Closed Thread