The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Where are the NFHS rule changes? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99789-where-nfhs-rule-changes.html)

bballref3966 Fri May 15, 2015 08:11pm

Where are the NFHS rule changes?

We're almost two weeks past when the new rules are typically announced, and it seems like we always get the NFHS changes before NCAA. I have to wonder what is taking so long this year. Maybe rewriting rule 9-9? :D

BillyMac Sat May 16, 2015 12:57pm

See You Next Year ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 962417)
We're almost two weeks past when the new rules are typically announced, and it seems like we always get the NFHS changes before NCAA. I have to wonder what is taking so long this year.

No changes this year?

crosscountry55 Sat May 16, 2015 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 962444)
No changes this year?

That would be a first. In the absence of any substantive changes, they always come up with a fashion police adjustment or two just to prove they convened and adjourned.

Camron Rust Sat May 16, 2015 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 962450)
That would be a first. In the absence of any substantive changes, they always come up with a fashion police adjustment or two just to prove they convened and adjourned.

They're going to change the boundary lines from 2" to 6cm. Lines everywhere will need to be repainted to get the extra 1/3 of an inch to be legal!

BillyMac Sat May 16, 2015 05:34pm

Système International d'Unités ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 962451)
They're going to change the boundary lines from 2" to 6cm. Lines everywhere will need to be repainted to get the extra 1/3 of an inch to be legal!

The metric system is the twenty-first century system of measurement in all civilized, industrialized, countries, except one. In terms of measurement, what is the only civilized, industrialized, country that still, officially, uses a much, much, much older system of measurement?

Another reason (with apologies to David Lettermen) why most of the world hates us.

Now, could somebody please help me down off my chemist's soapbox? I'm getting a little dizzy, and didn't realize how high it was.

"I love you, a bushel and a peck!" (Guys And Dolls, 1950)

JRutledge Sat May 16, 2015 05:45pm

I am actually a little shocked they are not out yet. Usually about this time when we have camp starting and especially the class room parts of those camps, we have the new rules.

I wonder what is the hold up?

Peace

Camron Rust Sat May 16, 2015 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 962454)
I am actually a little shocked they are not out yet. Usually about this time when we have camp starting and especially the class room parts of those camps, we have the new rules.

I wonder what is the hold up?

Peace

Maybe someone is making sure they have clearly and completely expressed the desired changes instead of leaving big holes.

JRutledge Sat May 16, 2015 06:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 962457)
Maybe someone is making sure they have clearly and complete express the desired changes instead of leaving big holes.

It would be a first, that is for sure.

Peace

SCalScoreKeeper Sat May 16, 2015 07:12pm

This is really unusual especially with summer leagues starting soon in some places.

bballref3966 Sat May 16, 2015 08:25pm

I've tweeted at the NFHS twice asking when they will come out and haven't gotten responses either time.

BillyMac Sun May 17, 2015 07:15am

Twelve Angry Men ...

The committee is deadlocked, and sequestered, and the Theresia Wynns won't declare a mistrial.

Want to bet that IAABO Coordinator of Interpreters, Peter Webb, is the lone holdout?

He's still trying to convince everyone else that no opponent occupying a marked lane space should be allowed break the plane of the free throw line until the ball touches the ring, or backboard, or until the free throw ends.

Rich Sun May 17, 2015 11:49am

Billy, that was the NFHS rule prior to the penultimate change. Why it wasn't put back in last year is a mystery. Or just sloppiness.

Camron Rust Sun May 17, 2015 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 962490)
Billy, that was the NFHS rule prior to the penultimate change. Why it wasn't put back in last year is a mystery. Or just sloppiness.

Or just completely unnecessary.

Rich Sun May 17, 2015 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 962497)
Or just completely unnecessary.

No, I remember it being a problem -- defenders weren't letting shooters follow through and were backing into and sticking a butt into the shooter. Not enough to call a foul, but certainly violating the spirit of a "free throw."

Wouldn't surprise me to see it be a rule this year.

Once nice thing about doing this a long time is that everything that's old becomes new again...or something like that.

crosscountry55 Sun May 17, 2015 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 962498)
Once nice thing about doing this a long time is that everything that's old becomes new again...or something like that.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."