Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 04:22pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Did they somehow make this WORSE? A reasonable team member/coach/parent could read this and conclude sleeves/tights no longer need to be black, white, beige or the predominant color of the jersey UNLESS team members are wearing headbands/wristbands.

If you're not wearing bands (and I'd say most people don't), every color under the rainbow seems in play for sleeves/tights.

Am I missing something?
Yes you are. It's really simple. The sleeves and tights must match the headbands and wristbands. Since wrist and head bands must be black, white, beige or uniform color, the same goes for the sleeves and tights. They all have to be the same color if worn. It isn't that hard.
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 05:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Yes you are. It's really simple. The sleeves and tights must match the headbands and wristbands. Since wrist and head bands must be black, white, beige or uniform color, the same goes for the sleeves and tights. They all have to be the same color if worn. It isn't that hard.
I do not know if it will be easy either. We had a lot of different colors. We have many times colors that were not solid (if you include the stitching). And parents do not read these rules. And that includes the undergarments that were worn that are more complicated to remove. Again, why do they care what color stuff is?

Peace
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 05:02pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
As to the above cited fashion police rule revisions as well as the "post players"actual addition to 10-6-12, I am neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed.
Call me whelmed.
No problem this stuff being implemented this coming year.

Last edited by Freddy; Fri May 22, 2015 at 07:44am.
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 05:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Colour My World (Chicago, 1970) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why do they care what color stuff is?
To be able to easily identify teams, and numbers.

I worked a boys high school varsity scrimmage back in the fall where both teams wore scrimmage vests, one team blue, and the other team white. Because it was only a scrimmage, we let both teams wear any color undershirt that the players wanted to wear, and we ended up with about a half dozen different color undershirts, including opponents with the same color undershirts.

It was not very easy to identify teams, especially during rebounding action under the basket.

Granted, the NFHS has gone overboard with some of the "Fashion Police" rules, but same of the color rules are really needed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 05:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
To be able to easily identify teams, and numbers.
I am not talking about jersey.

Quote:
I worked a boys high school varsity scrimmage back in the fall where both teams wore scrimmage vests, one team blue, and the other team white. Because it was only a scrimmage, we let both teams wear any color undershirt that the players wanted to wear, and we ended up with about a half dozen different color undershirts, including opponents with the same color undershirts.

It was not very easy to identify teams, especially during rebounding action under the basket.
I guess traveling must be really hard for you too?

Quote:
Granted, the NFHS has gone overboard with some of the "Fashion Police" rules, but same of the color rules are really needed.
I have never had a problem before identifying the color of head bands and wrist bands. Remember we had no color restrictions of these items before.

Peace
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know what he is saying and there is a hole in the rule. The color restrictions are on the headbands/wrist bands. It only says that sleeves much match any headbands/wristbands. If there are none, then there is nothing to match. So, are there really any color restrictions? I know what they meant, but the wording leaves open the possibility of the sleeves being any color at all, as long as all sleeves match each other.
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I know one who finds this post ironic.
Particularly when the won is far more egregious than mixing baseline and endline.
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
My 2nd camp ever ( 1989 ) I believe....Dallas Shirley jumped all over a bunch of us for using the term "baseline ".....from that point on I have always said end line... For you guys west of the Appalachian Mountains, there was no other like J. Dallas Shirley....considering he is in the HOF in Springfield it is END LINE. Case closed !!!!

If that is all he had to complain about, you were not getting your money's worth. That is a waste of time, IMO. It is a distinction without a difference. I don't care who he was, at least he could have picked a term that actually conveyed something incorrect.
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 08:56pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I know what he is saying and there is a hole in the rule. The color restrictions are on the headbands/wrist bands. It only says that sleeves much match any headbands/wristbands. If there are none, then there is nothing to match. So, are there really any color restrictions? I know what they meant, but the wording leaves open the possibility of the sleeves being any color at all, as long as all sleeves match each other.
if A and B have color restrictions, and C and D must match A and B, C and D have color restrictions. It really isn't hard, I just don't get why would be confusing at all. I do understand the NFHS has editorial, and wording problems everywhere, but if you understand the intent of the rule, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by OKREF; Thu May 21, 2015 at 08:58pm.
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 09:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
if A and B have color restrictions, and C and D must match A and B, C and D have color restrictions. It really isn't hard, I just don't get why would be confusing at all. I do understand the NFHS has editorial, and wording problems everywhere, but if you understand the intent of the rule, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Right or wrong, all of this will likely be clarified in their Guidebook or on the Power Point. It will be a little more than wording that will be at issue.

Peace
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... except there usually aren't any A & B, especially in boys games, so there's nothing to match.

Last year's rules clearly indicated the colors for each (bands & sleeves/tights), albeit not in the same order, which is symptomatic of the lack of attention to detail we're harping on.

Now, in their effort to have them match, they suddenly (and unwittingly) left out the color specifications for "C & D."

Of course "everyone" understands the intent of the rule ... except the parents who buy the gear, the players who ask for it and the coaches/ADs who read these hacky rules and rightfully tell them, "Yup, as far as I can tell, you're good to go."

Just because WE know what the NFHS meant to say, it's hard to explain to someone who reads the rules and justifiably comes back with, "Ummm, it doesn't say that."

No, it's not likely to cause too many of us problems, but that doesn't make it any less pathetic.
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know that is what they meant, but what they wrote is different.

If A and B don't exist, then there is no color for C and D to match.
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 06:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rainbow Connection ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not talking about jersey.
And neither was I.

I was talking about undershirts, one of the items some consider to be a frivolous "Fashion Police" issue.

Again, there have to be some color rules, sure there are too many right now in the rulebook (wrist bands, headbands, sleeves), but there still have to be some. We can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Let's be sure to just throw out the bathwater.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 22, 2015 at 03:27pm.
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

My thing with this session of deciding on rules/mechanics/signals, I don't even think there had to be too many drastic rules changes (though what was asked of us in the survey suggested that big changes will be in the way in the future)...

If you don't want to change too much this year rules wise, is it too much to add some f'n signals to the book?! There are so many common signals that could have been added especially this year...borrowed from the pro/college ranks, that are easy and give clear information. Off the topic of my head:

Hit to the head
Hook
Armbar
Two hands on the dribbler
Trip
Chuck
Violation of verticality (some would say the frankenstein signal)

I'm probably forgetting a signal or two (punch all "offensive fouls" or fists for a blocking foul)...but the point is we could add so many more signals that would more clearly denote what type of foul is called...

Yet they add a signal that officials have been using for at least 10 years already. Most officials are gonna see that "change" and think it was already in the books already.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri May 22, 2015, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I know that is what they meant, but what they wrote is different.

If A and B don't exist, then there is no color for C and D to match.
Camron's right. If the goal is for sleeves/tights to be black, white, beige or the predominant color of the jersey then write that into the rule.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Closed Thread