The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 19, 2015, 09:02am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post

I just checked both the NFHS.org website and the NFHS Central Hub on ArbiterSports and this press release still is not posted on either website.

Congratulations for the OhioHSAA for getting this information out to its boys' and girls' officials.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 19, 2015, 09:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

There's nothing new. Not a thing.
Old Tue May 19, 2015, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

How can they make a claim like rebounding vioaltions are among the leading cause of injuries that are happening?

Did they commision a study?

Are they just asking people what they see and remember because most officials aren't going to know about a sprain or strain or contusion at the time it happens its going to be in the days following . . .

Or are they using an arbitrary statement like "among the leading causes" because they can't technically be wrong but don't have any valid evidence . ..

I don't mind making rebounding action a POE but I would like a rationale for anything to be a little more grounded in evidence then the information provided.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

New rule in high school basketball looks to minimize contact - WREX.com – Rockford’s News Leader
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
How can they make a claim like rebounding vioaltions are among the leading cause of injuries that are happening?

Did they commision a study?

Are they just asking people what they see and remember because most officials aren't going to know about a sprain or strain or contusion at the time it happens its going to be in the days following . . .

Or are they using an arbitrary statement like "among the leading causes" because they can't technically be wrong but don't have any valid evidence . ..

I don't mind making rebounding action a POE but I would like a rationale for anything to be a little more grounded in evidence then the information provided.
As I recall from seeing other releases on football and baseball, they indeed do have a long-standing and well-maintained injury database going back quite a few years. Now, of course, it's only as good as the input data but that would be true of any study.

Edited to add: Here's further information on the study...one of the sponsors is the CDC.

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/co...s/default.aspx

Last edited by scrounge; Wed May 20, 2015 at 09:23am. Reason: further information, link
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource...anges-2015-16/
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Am I missing something here? Weren't we all given an interpretation last year that said a ball handler was considered any player, including one in the post? This isn't a new rule, this is just new language being added to the book that is being passed off as a new rule.
The language in the release also doesn't make sense because NF doesn't define "post players" and the "lane area" in the rule book (NCAA defines both).

NF would also be wise to spend a few bucks on a proofreader.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 11:24am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhoops View Post
After I clicked on this link, I looked around the site and found a link to some old films from the 1930s that showed games from the Illinois state tournament. In the clip from 1933, it showed the Thornton HS team (Harvey, Illinois) playing for the state championship. They won, 14-13. One of the players shown on the Thornton team was sophomore Lou Boudreaux, who later became an MLB star, manager and radio announcer. Lou went to HS with my step-father and they were really good friends. I met Lou a few times.

The court shown had no center court line, had free throw lanes only six feet apart and those lanes with the circle on top looked like a keyhole, which is where the phrase "the key" came from (according to the movie). They also center jumped after every basket.

Oh yeah, the refs were wearing black and white striped shirts with light colored tan pants.
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 03:19pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I see we also have some editorial changes related to fashion police rules.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 03:32pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I see we also have some editorial changes related to fashion police rules.
It so much better now, headbands, wristbands, sleeves and tights have to match and must be white, beige, black or predominant color of jersey, and the same for all team members.
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 03:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

I'm underwhelmed.

NFHS Basketball Rules Changes - 2015-16

10-6-12: The following acts constitute a foul when committed against a ball handler/dribbler. A player becomes a ball handler when he/she receives the ball. This would include a player in a post position.
a. Placing two hands on the player.
b. Placing an extended arm bar on the player.
c. Placing and keeping a hand on the player.
d. Contacting the player more than once with the same hand or alternating hands.

Officials Signal Chart and Officials Manual: Establish a signal to be used after a basket is made and there is a stoppage in play. The signal is used by the officials to indicate the team inbounding the ball may run the baseline. The signal will be executed by extending the arm laterally, bending the elbow at a 90-degree angle, moving the hand and forearm from the elbow in a waving motion horizontally along the end line. A new picture will need to be added to the signal chart.

2015-16 Major Editorial Changes

3-4-2c: By state association adoption one commemorative/memorial patch may be worn on the jersey. The patch shall not exceed 4 square inches, shall not be a number and must be located above the neckline or in the side insert.

3-5-3c: All sleeves/tights shall be the same solid color and must be the same color as any headband or wristband worn.

3-5-4a: Headbands and wristbands shall be black, white, beige or the predominant color of the jersey and the same color for each item and all participants. They must be the same color as any sleeve/tights worn. See 3-6 for logo requirements.

2015-16 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1.Post Play
2.Rebounding
3.Free Throw Shooter
4.NFHS Signals and Mechanics
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 20, 2015 at 04:09pm.
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 04:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Step Ahead Of You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
It so much better now, headbands, wristbands, sleeves and tights have to match and must be white, beige, black or predominant color of jersey, and the same for all team members.
We unilaterally decided to do this in Connecticut last season. We thought that a rule (sleeves, headbands, wristbands - all the same color) would be easier for players, coaches, and officials, to understand than last season's NFHS rule that would allow a headband to be a different color than an arm sleeve.

It wasn't easier to understand.

And it wasn't just the coaches, and players, that misunderstood the rule.

I guess that, in Connecticut, we're way ahead of our time, except in not assigning three officials to a game, and allowing officials to wear black belts. On second thought, never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 21, 2015 at 06:13am.
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We unilaterally decided to do this in Connecticut last season. I guess that we're way ahead of our time, except in not assigning three officials to a game, and allowing officials to wear black belts. On second thought, never mind.
What about Byron collars? Are they coming back too?
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 05:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
What about Byron collars? Are they coming back too?
Yeah - and with long sleeve shirts!

Old Wed May 20, 2015, 05:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Actually - here's the new ref jersey coming out this year. Cool.