Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Or just completely unnecessary.
Based on what I saw, unnecessary.

Peace
Old Sun May 17, 2015, 04:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I don't care myself. I'll simply call whatever the rules are. But let's not pretend he made it up out of thin air...it used to be a rule.
Old Sun May 17, 2015, 04:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't care myself. I'll simply call whatever the rules are. But let's not pretend he made it up out of thin air...it used to be a rule.
It had not been a rule like 10 years ago. It is not a rule at the other levels from what I can remember.

Peace
Old Sun May 17, 2015, 04:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

It was a rule up to when free throws were changed the last time. Don't care about other levels.
Old Sun May 17, 2015, 04:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It was a rule up to when free throws were changed the last time. Don't care about other levels.
I get you do not care, but that is what influences other rules and current rules changes. If no other level has such a restriction, they might not care what the NF once had as the rule. I think the point was to mirror other levels as the NF was the only level that had such a rule that required all players a restriction until the ball hit the rim or was in the cylinder. And that is why I mentioned this, because the NCAA Men's side has no such restriction.

Peace
Old Sun May 17, 2015, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
I've tweeted at the NFHS twice asking when they will come out and haven't gotten responses either time.
Tells you what they think of you.
Old Sun May 17, 2015, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I remember it being a problem -- defenders weren't letting shooters follow through and were backing into and sticking a butt into the shooter. Not enough to call a foul, but certainly violating the spirit of a "free throw."
Nothing that interferes with the follow through after the release affects the shot. By the time they get to the shooter any thing the shooter needs to do should be done. If they're leaving early enough to get there in time to affect the shot, they were already in violation.
Old Mon May 18, 2015, 06:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Psychological Perspective ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Nothing that interferes with the follow through after the release affects the shot.
Physics would support your conclusion 100%. But from a psychological perspective, the shooter being slightly bumped into, and slightly displaced, while in a vulnerable follow through position, could have a detrimental effect on the shooter's accuracy in subsequent shots during the rest of the game. It's called a "free" throw for a reason.

I like the restriction (free throw line for both teams). There must have been a reason why the NFHS had it in the rulebook the last time the NFHS allowed movement on the "release".

Did the NFHS just "forget" to include this (free throw line) restriction, or did they intentionally decide to exclude it from the new (old) rule?

Why did a basketball official training organization, IAABO, unilaterally take on the role of the NFHS and "make up" rules?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon May 18, 2015, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

According to the LA Times High School beat writer here are the 2015-16 rule changes.

Basketball: Rule change for 2015-16 to help post players from excessive contact
By Eric Sondheimer

A rule change last season in high school basketball prohibiting excessive contact against dribblers has been expanded to include all ball-handlers on the court, including post players.

The revision in Rule 10-6-12 approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations Board of Directors states that "a player becomes a ball-handler when he/she receives the ball."
cComments
Got something to say? Start the conversation and be the first to comment.
Add a comment

The acts that constitute a foul are a) placing two hands on the player, b) placing an extended arm bar on the player, c) placing and keeping a hand on the player and d) contacting the player more than once with the same hand or alternating hands.

Last year, ball-handlers and dribblers outside of the post area became protected from excessive contact. Now adding post players will likely free up big men to maneuver better in the post.

The Basketball Rules Committee approved four points of emphasis for the upcoming season: post play, rebounding, protecting the free-throw shooter and NFHS mechanics and signals.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon May 18, 2015, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Nothing too exciting

http://ohsaa.org/news/201516BasketballRulesRelease.pdf
Old Mon May 18, 2015, 10:14am
Do not give a damn!!

I am trying to figure out other than language was there any changes?

Peace
Old Mon May 18, 2015, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
According to the LA Times High School beat writer here are the 2015-16 rule changes.

Basketball: Rule change for 2015-16 to help post players from excessive contact
By Eric Sondheimer

A rule change last season in high school basketball prohibiting excessive contact against dribblers has been expanded to include all ball-handlers on the court, including post players.

The revision in Rule 10-6-12 approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations Board of Directors states that "a player becomes a ball-handler when he/she receives the ball."

The acts that constitute a foul are a) placing two hands on the player, b) placing an extended arm bar on the player, c) placing and keeping a hand on the player and d) contacting the player more than once with the same hand or alternating hands.

Last year, ball-handlers and dribblers outside of the post area became protected from excessive contact. Now adding post players will likely free up big men to maneuver better in the post.

The Basketball Rules Committee approved four points of emphasis for the upcoming season: post play, rebounding, protecting the free-throw shooter and NFHS mechanics and signals.
Sadly, it appears that the NFHS isn't aware of its own rulings!
Post players were indeed included in these contact rules last year.

Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2014-15
By NFHS on November 21, 2014
basketball
Publisher’s Note: The National Federation of State High School Associations is the only source of official high school interpretations. They do not set aside nor modify any rule. They are made and published by the NFHS in response to situations presented.

Robert B. Gardner, Publisher, NFHS Publications © 2014

CLARIFICATION ON POST PLAYER: A post player becomes a ball handler/dribbler when the post player receives the ball, regardless of position on the floor or the direction he/she is facing.
When the offensive player gains possession of the ball, the actions listed in Rule 10-6-12 committed by any defensive player shall be charged as a foul.
Old Mon May 18, 2015, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Do we really need an official run-the-baseline signal?

Another thing to.get yelled at about at the state rules meeting.
Old Mon May 18, 2015, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
A lot of, if not most, officials already use it. Why not make it an official signal?
Old Mon May 18, 2015, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post

Most officials I've seen have been using this signal in some form or fashion for at least 7 years. Another signal that the NFHS is late in adding
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Closed Thread