The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 02, 2015, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

dunking in the warmups

September 2016, Ontario will be switching to FIBA with a few modifications ( federation timing, 35 second shot clock and a few others). One of the other modifications is that dunking in the warmup will continue to be a no-no.

My question is what is the rationale behind this rule? I'm told it is to prevent damage to the rims and backboards. Would not banning hanging on the rims accomplish the same thing?
Old Sat May 02, 2015, 11:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Grasping For Straws ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
One of the other modifications is that dunking in the warmup will continue to be a no-no. My question is what is the rationale behind this rule? I'm told it is to prevent damage to the rims and backboards. Would not banning hanging on the rims accomplish the same thing?
If the modification is based on the NFHS rule then, "hanging" is already banned.

NFHS 10-3-3: A player shall not: Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent
injury; dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 02, 2015 at 11:13am.
Old Sat May 02, 2015, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If the modification is based on the NFHS rule then, "hanging" is already banned.

NFHS 10-3-3: A player shall not: Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent
Billy, he stated that they're using FIBA with modifications.
Old Sat May 02, 2015, 03:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

How Might The Modifications Read ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Billy, he stated that they're using FIBA with modifications.
I'm not familiar with FIBA rules, I don't know what rules he used in the past, and I guessed that they might (note the word "if" in my previous post) use modifications based on NFHS rules, like no dunking a dead ball, or grasping a basket, except to avoid injuries.

I doubted that the modification would simply read: "Dunking in the (pregame) warmup will ... be (illegal)".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 02, 2015 at 04:10pm.
Old Sat May 02, 2015, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

I know that rule. The FIBA rule about dunking during the game is very similiar. Thou shall not hang on the rim unless to prevent injury.

My question is what is the rationale behind banning dunking in the warmups?
Old Sat May 02, 2015, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
I know that rule. The FIBA rule about dunking during the game is very similiar. Thou shall not hang on the rim unless to prevent injury.

My question is what is the rationale behind banning dunking in the warmups?
The rationale is that warmups aren't meant to be an entertainment show. Also takes away the possibility of breaking the rim or backboard before the game even starts.

Disagree if you want, but that is the reasoning.
Old Sat May 02, 2015, 06:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Impress The Cheerleaders ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
The rationale is that warmups aren't meant to be an entertainment show. Also takes away the possibility of breaking the rim or backboard before the game even starts.
Agree. A secondary concern might be to prevent injuries. Kids, who are barely able to dunk, might try to impress the crowd, or the opposing players, and sustain same type of injury.

Old Sat May 02, 2015, 07:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I wonder if the no dunking during warm-ups rule has anything to do with intimidation? If one team is more athletic, and perhaps taller, they could really do a job on the minds of the other team right before the game is about to start.

I remember when I was in HS (13th century), at our home games the visitors would come out first to warm up, then after a few minutes, our band would start playing the school song really loud, our team would dribble out of the locker room in a line to our side of the court with the first 4 or 5 players dunking the ball. Our fans would go crazy and it really had an intimidating effect on the other guys. I gotta say - it was incredibly exciting.
Old Sat May 02, 2015, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post

Disagree if you want, but that is the reasoning.
I figured as much. I don't have a problem with the preservation of the rims and backboards, but I disagree with the rest of the rationale.

I think it is NFHS interjecting themselves when they don't need to. There is nothing wrong with one team intimidating the other.

Many of our top flight tournaments waive the rule.
Old Sun May 03, 2015, 09:04am
Stubborn Member

Perhaps it's just curiousity as to why the rule exists, but if it's anything other than that I ask you this...

Why is dunking in warm-ups being illegal a problem? Dunking is not necessary, whether it's in pre-game or during the game, anyway. If the team needs to dunk to get pumped up, then that's a problem. And if the crowd needs the team to dunk to get pumped up... who cares? The game isn't about them.
Old Sun May 03, 2015, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

The no-dunking rule came in *long* before springed rims and even break-away rims. Part of the logic was protecting the rims. With modern rims, not as much chance- though there are occasional incidents. I suspect the rule remains for two reasons. Some coaches are worried about their smallest teams being intimidated and some coaches are worried about their team thinking more about dunking than getting ready for the game.
Old Sun May 03, 2015, 01:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Never Want This To Happen In Any Of My Games ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
With modern rims, not as much chance- though there are occasional incidents.
How many high schools (not college, or professional) in anybody's local area would be able to fix this (below) that night, in time to start, or finish a game?

In almost all cases, I'm sure that there would be a postponement, and that no more basketball would be played there that night.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 04, 2015 at 06:46am.
Old Sun May 03, 2015, 04:32pm
wife loves the goatee...

Rumor has it...

A few years ago here in Central Virginia the refs were "asked" to stay in their locker room in a few schools until two minutes were left in warm-ups so that the players could dunk without consequence. The refs that told me that shared that the noise from the gym was deafening. True home court advantage.
Old Sun May 03, 2015, 04:39pm
Administrator

The prohibition of dunking a dead ball was adopted by the NBCoUS&C (now the NFHS and NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committees) back in the late 1960s: The rule originally prohibited the dunking of the ball during the game and pre-game dunking was allowed. The rule changed in the early 1970s so that dunking a live ball was allowed and dunking a dead ball was not allowed. The reason for not allowing the ball to be dunked in both cases was a safety rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 03, 2015, 04:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Rumor has it...

A few years ago here in Central Virginia the refs were "asked" to stay in their locker room in a few schools until two minutes were left in warm-ups so that the players could dunk without consequence. The refs that told me that shared that the noise from the gym was deafening. True home court advantage.

The schools can "ask" all they want but my partner(s) and I will be on the court at the time required by the rules and proper mechanics.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio