The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   dunking in the warmups (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99728-dunking-warmups.html)

constable Sat May 02, 2015 12:33am

dunking in the warmups

September 2016, Ontario will be switching to FIBA with a few modifications ( federation timing, 35 second shot clock :mad: and a few others). One of the other modifications is that dunking in the warmup will continue to be a no-no.

My question is what is the rationale behind this rule? I'm told it is to prevent damage to the rims and backboards. Would not banning hanging on the rims accomplish the same thing?

BillyMac Sat May 02, 2015 11:01am

Grasping For Straws ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 961583)
One of the other modifications is that dunking in the warmup will continue to be a no-no. My question is what is the rationale behind this rule? I'm told it is to prevent damage to the rims and backboards. Would not banning hanging on the rims accomplish the same thing?

If the modification is based on the NFHS rule then, "hanging" is already banned.

NFHS 10-3-3: A player shall not: Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent
injury; dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

Adam Sat May 02, 2015 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 961589)
If the modification is based on the NFHS rule then, "hanging" is already banned.

NFHS 10-3-3: A player shall not: Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent

Billy, he stated that they're using FIBA with modifications.

BillyMac Sat May 02, 2015 03:40pm

How Might The Modifications Read ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 961597)
Billy, he stated that they're using FIBA with modifications.

I'm not familiar with FIBA rules, I don't know what rules he used in the past, and I guessed that they might (note the word "if" in my previous post) use modifications based on NFHS rules, like no dunking a dead ball, or grasping a basket, except to avoid injuries.

I doubted that the modification would simply read: "Dunking in the (pregame) warmup will ... be (illegal)".

constable Sat May 02, 2015 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 961589)

I know that rule. The FIBA rule about dunking during the game is very similiar. Thou shall not hang on the rim unless to prevent injury.

My question is what is the rationale behind banning dunking in the warmups?

bballref3966 Sat May 02, 2015 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 961605)
I know that rule. The FIBA rule about dunking during the game is very similiar. Thou shall not hang on the rim unless to prevent injury.

My question is what is the rationale behind banning dunking in the warmups?

The rationale is that warmups aren't meant to be an entertainment show. Also takes away the possibility of breaking the rim or backboard before the game even starts.

Disagree if you want, but that is the reasoning.

BillyMac Sat May 02, 2015 06:45pm

Impress The Cheerleaders ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 961607)
The rationale is that warmups aren't meant to be an entertainment show. Also takes away the possibility of breaking the rim or backboard before the game even starts.

Agree. A secondary concern might be to prevent injuries. Kids, who are barely able to dunk, might try to impress the crowd, or the opposing players, and sustain same type of injury.

Mark Padgett Sat May 02, 2015 07:02pm

I wonder if the no dunking during warm-ups rule has anything to do with intimidation? If one team is more athletic, and perhaps taller, they could really do a job on the minds of the other team right before the game is about to start.

I remember when I was in HS (13th century), at our home games the visitors would come out first to warm up, then after a few minutes, our band would start playing the school song really loud, our team would dribble out of the locker room in a line to our side of the court with the first 4 or 5 players dunking the ball. Our fans would go crazy and it really had an intimidating effect on the other guys. I gotta say - it was incredibly exciting.

constable Sat May 02, 2015 07:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 961607)

Disagree if you want, but that is the reasoning.

I figured as much. I don't have a problem with the preservation of the rims and backboards, but I disagree with the rest of the rationale.

I think it is NFHS interjecting themselves when they don't need to. There is nothing wrong with one team intimidating the other.

Many of our top flight tournaments waive the rule.

BryanV21 Sun May 03, 2015 09:04am

Perhaps it's just curiousity as to why the rule exists, but if it's anything other than that I ask you this...

Why is dunking in warm-ups being illegal a problem? Dunking is not necessary, whether it's in pre-game or during the game, anyway. If the team needs to dunk to get pumped up, then that's a problem. And if the crowd needs the team to dunk to get pumped up... who cares? The game isn't about them.

so cal lurker Sun May 03, 2015 01:31pm

The no-dunking rule came in *long* before springed rims and even break-away rims. Part of the logic was protecting the rims. With modern rims, not as much chance- though there are occasional incidents. I suspect the rule remains for two reasons. Some coaches are worried about their smallest teams being intimidated and some coaches are worried about their team thinking more about dunking than getting ready for the game.

BillyMac Sun May 03, 2015 01:42pm

I Never Want This To Happen In Any Of My Games ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 961630)
With modern rims, not as much chance- though there are occasional incidents.

How many high schools (not college, or professional) in anybody's local area would be able to fix this (below) that night, in time to start, or finish a game?

In almost all cases, I'm sure that there would be a postponement, and that no more basketball would be played there that night.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RLu4Gdi8oc0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DRJ1960 Sun May 03, 2015 04:32pm

Rumor has it...:eek:

A few years ago here in Central Virginia the refs were "asked" to stay in their locker room in a few schools until two minutes were left in warm-ups so that the players could dunk without consequence. The refs that told me that shared that the noise from the gym was deafening. True home court advantage.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun May 03, 2015 04:39pm

The prohibition of dunking a dead ball was adopted by the NBCoUS&C (now the NFHS and NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committees) back in the late 1960s: The rule originally prohibited the dunking of the ball during the game and pre-game dunking was allowed. The rule changed in the early 1970s so that dunking a live ball was allowed and dunking a dead ball was not allowed. The reason for not allowing the ball to be dunked in both cases was a safety rule.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun May 03, 2015 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 961643)
Rumor has it...:eek:

A few years ago here in Central Virginia the refs were "asked" to stay in their locker room in a few schools until two minutes were left in warm-ups so that the players could dunk without consequence. The refs that told me that shared that the noise from the gym was deafening. True home court advantage.

The schools can "ask" all they want but my partner(s) and I will be on the court at the time required by the rules and proper mechanics.

MTD, Sr.