Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 03, 2015, 05:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Lone Star State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
A few years ago here in Central Virginia the refs were "asked" to stay in their locker room in a few schools until two minutes were left in warm-ups so that the players could dunk without consequence.
Our brother, and sister, officials in Texas sound their whistles before entering the visual confines of the court to warn players to stop any pregame dunking that might be occurring.

I wonder if they do this for a middle school girls game?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun May 03, 2015, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rumor has it...

A few years ago here in Central Virginia the refs were "asked" to stay in their locker room in a few schools until two minutes were left in warm-ups so that the players could dunk without consequence. The refs that told me that shared that the noise from the gym was deafening. True home court advantage.
You didn't mention whether or not the officials actually adhered to the request, but game administration wouldn't be dictating when I enter the court.
Old Mon May 04, 2015, 06:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Do They Ask For The Scorebook To Be Taken To The Dressing Room ???

Quote:
... the refs were "asked" to stay in their locker room in a few schools until two minutes were left in warm-ups so that the players could dunk without consequence.
Good luck to those guys to take care of any scorebook problems before the ten minute mark, and possibly preventing some technical fouls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon May 04, 2015, 07:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Our brother, and sister, officials in Texas sound their whistles before entering the visual confines of the court to warn players to stop any pregame dunking that might be occurring.

I wonder if they do this for a middle school girls game?

Just another case where game management doesn't do its job and the officials are the bad guys.

Why do they need us to enforce this at all? Aren't the coaches and administrators adults?

"Hey, don't dunk."

That said, I'd be thrilled to not come out till 12 minutes or so. In our state, we take the floor at 20 minutes...
Old Mon May 04, 2015, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

1967, in HS, dunking during the game was deemed illegal, understood to be associated with the NCAA making dunking illegal, to avoid Lew Alcindor, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar from dominating the college game while he played for UCLA.
Then, as an afterthought, in 1970, dunking was prohibited in warm-ups.
In 1972, a clarified definition of dunking was expressed, which was expanded in 1975.

With interest in our current Rules set, NFHS decided to allow dunking except before the game or during intermission, in 1976.
Old Mon May 04, 2015, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rumor has it...

A few years ago here in Central Virginia the refs were "asked" to stay in their locker room in a few schools until two minutes were left in warm-ups so that the players could dunk without consequence. The refs that told me that shared that the noise from the gym was deafening. True home court advantage.
And if one of the players had been injured the schools/parents would have...sued the officials for not being on the court at the prescribed time.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon May 04, 2015, 10:55am
Lighten up, Francis.

My old HS interpreter used to tell a story about the pre-game dunking rule. I don't remember any of the details -- dates, schools involved -- but I'll give you the general story.

A game was scheduled for two college teams. But the visiting team's campus had been ravaged by an outbreak of some flu or virus something. The basketball team's players were all sick. So the AD calls the home school and asks to reschedule.

The home school AD realizes that his team can grab an easy win and so says that the game can't be rescheduled. They have to come and play on the original date.

So the visiting team loads up and drives to the game site. They come out on the floor with 5 players for warm-ups. And the first kid in the lay-up line dunks, hangs, and rips the ring off the board.

They turned around and headed back to the locker room and the game was rescheduled.

The next season dunking in pre-game was banned.

I have NO idea if that story is true at all. But I love it and hope it's true.
Old Mon May 04, 2015, 05:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Dunk To Remember ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
... NFHS decided to allow dunking except before the game or during intermission.
You got most of the rule covered, but don't forget that you also can't dunk a dead ball.

Interesting story, even if it is NCAA, and happened forty-five years ago, and the details are a little cloudy. Springfield (MA) at Southern Connecticut State College (now University). SCSC "wins" at the final buzzer and a SCSC player dunks, after the final horn, in celebration. Officials charge player with a technical foul for dunking a dead ball, Springfield hits the free throw(s), game goes into overtime, and Springfield wins the game.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 05, 2015 at 06:07am.
Old Mon May 04, 2015, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

All one has to do is walk into any multi court facility where phi slamma jamma is allowed and look at all the off kilter and floppy rims to understand why its not a good idea
Old Mon May 04, 2015, 06:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I have NO idea if that story is true at all. But I love it and hope it's true.
The best legends SHOULD be true.
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You got most of the rule covered, but don't forget that you also can't dunk a dead ball.

Interesting story, even if it is NCAA, and happened forty-five years ago, and the details are a little cloudy. Springfield (MA) at Southern Connecticut State College (now University). SCSC "wins" at the final buzzer and a SCSC player dunks, after the final horn, in celebration. Officials charge player with a technical foul for dunking a dead ball, Springfield hits the free throw(s), game goes into overtime, and Springfield wins the game.
I did omit the rule change from 1978, in which the NFHS added a statement prohibiting a player dunking a dead ball.

We are privilged to participate in a game which is continuing to evolve. And of course, the personalities of those who hold the positions of power are evidient in the rules changes, and nuances that are introduced. Sometimes, those chages are accepted, and become part of the fabric of the game. At other times, as evidenced by the NCAA attempt to change the block/charge rule last year, experiments in rules modifications, demonstrate that existing parameters are well suited to the game's structure, and need no further modification.
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 07:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
... The rule changed in the early 1970s so that dunking a live ball was allowed and dunking a dead ball was not allowed. The reason for not allowing the ball to be dunked in both cases was a safety rule.

MTD, Sr.
It wasn't the early 70's that the rule was changed, it was 1976. I remember Marques Johnson of UCLA being the first great college dunker after the rule change.
Old Wed May 06, 2015, 12:22am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It wasn't the early 70's that the rule was changed, it was 1976. I remember Marques Johnson of UCLA being the first great college dunker after the rule change.

BNR:

Give me a break, I am 63 and started officiating basketball in 1971; I was writing from memory and without climbing up into the attic to look up the exact year, so please do not fault me for not listing the correct part of that decade.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed May 06, 2015, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

The only reasonable reason for the rule today is to protect the basket from damage...especially since no level, except for the schools in the Power 5 conferences, are going to have a standby basket ready. I saw this play out at a local AAU tournament 2 weeks ago.

I also laugh at the "intimidation" reasoning. If a team is "intimidated" by the fact that the other team is dunking during pregame...well they've lost the game already. With that reasoning, let's just ban dunking from the game entirely cause the other team might get scared.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed May 06, 2015, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

I still contend that there is no reason to ban dunking in the warm up. Ban hanging on the rim- absolutely but dunking as a whole is unnecessary.

Last edited by constable; Wed May 06, 2015 at 07:16am.