The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 01:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Well, it's not. Although I was thinking about this last night. How many times did I remember officials in the NCAA tournament pointing toward the spot. Few to none, now that I think about it.

Makes me wonder if I'm going to get downgraded for pointing at the spot if I go to a try-out camp.
Only if you stand there lingering. However you do it, just make sure it is crisp and polished.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 01:31pm
Back from the DL

Been doing one IAABO camp for the last three years. Here's my insight:

*During a game, you run through the mechanics exactly as if it were a real game, with the exception of making up a number at the table. (Many times, teams wear their practice jerseys without numbers.) No "summer mechanics" here, strictly IAABO mechanics. If your games are assigned and evaluated by IAABO, I can't imagine what other mechanics you'd want to be taught.

*Games are what they are. At my camp, it has been boys' varsity basketball. Talent can vary, but in the end, it's all about your work and dealing with whatever's on the court. Choosing talent level is not part of our job, anyway.

*Even though a majority of the clinics push the same things I've been hearing for years, there's always something I pick up that either misunderstood or just somehow eluded me. My board does very little in-season evaluations (unless you're a rookie or happened to be assigned to a rookie that day), so these camps are the only real evaluations I get.

One thing I've learned is to have a more patient whistle. (We do this in soccer, would like to see it more in basketball.) E.g., if A-1 is displacing B-2 during a rebound, and B-2 or a teammate gets the ball, we may want to pass on that call. It took a camp for me to learn that.

If you think you're not getting enough evaluation during the year, then a camp is probably for you.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 01:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Wow. Someone has too much time on their hands to even think of this scenario.
Not really that uncommon a scenario. I'm guessing it'll start happening every game unless the NFHS actually makes the rule what Tom Lopes says it is.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 02:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
From the March/April 2015 IAABO Sportorials Magazine:

Rules Questions For The IAABO Interpreter

1) A1 is fouled while in the act of trying for a goal. The try is not successful. A1 is awarded two free throws. The first free throw is successful. Upon the release of A1’s second free throw, B3, located in the free throw lane space nearest the free thrower, enters the free throw lane and then, with his/her foot, breaks the far plane of the free throw line prior to the ball contacting the basket ring, or the backboard. The official rules this action by B3 a violation. Is the official correct?

Answer: Yes. Reference 9-1-3-D (may enter the free throw lane; the free throw semicircle is not part of the free throw lane; the free throw semicircle if “off limits” to all, excepting the free thrower, until the ball contacts the basket ring, or the backboard.)

I worked a camp this weekend under NCAA-M's rules. I called a foul from the trail when B3 displaced the free throw shooter. As I crossed paths with the Center, he told me "good get". Not a word about the play from the observer.