The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Ref Schools

Are any of you Texas Refs familiar with Southwest Basketball Referees School (www.ricerefschool.com) or West Side Ref Clinic (www.westsideref.com) ? Both from the TASO site. Are do you recommend any others in the Houston area?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have attended the West Side Clinic for the past four years. In my opinion it is outstanding. The clinicians are knowledgeable and helpful. I have not been to the Southwest Basketball Referee's School, but I have heard good things about it. Another Camp starting up in the Houston Area is Camp Texas (www.camptexas.us).I believe Camp Texas will be having a session in Pasadena during the summer.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

It will depend on where you are at in your officiating career . . . Rice Ref School (Steve Ellinger's Camp) is OK, and does a good job of covering basics. Westside Ref School (Bill Carter) is a little more advanced. Personally, I think you would be fine with either, but if I had to choose . . . Westside Ref School. I know several of their instructors, and they are outstanding. If you are looking to move up into the college ranks, there are a few camps you can go to as well. Hope that helps.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Sweet! I will check that website as well. I was hoping to hear from those who have actually attended and get a true response. Thanks. Too often the websites over state what you really get. I will check this school out further.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
It will depend on where you are at in your officiating career . . . Rice Ref School (Steve Ellinger's Camp) is OK, and does a good job of covering basics. Westside Ref School (Bill Carter) is a little more advanced. Personally, I think you would be fine with either, but if I had to choose . . . Westside Ref School. I know several of their instructors, and they are outstanding. If you are looking to move up into the college ranks, there are a few camps you can go to as well. Hope that helps.
Thanks for discussing both. I am just beginning and would like to cover as much as possible and get some real court time to determine if I have the ability to add to this great avocation. I have enjoyed my very limited exposure and now have the fever. But I dont believe in doing anything half way. Either I will learn to do it correctly or not participate. It sounds like the West Side may be my best bet.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

I looked up camptexas. It appears to have many of the same staff as West Side and the Houston Chapter President James Burkhalter involved. Is this an extension of Bill Carter's school?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

No, it's a separate camp, although Bill Carter is one of the instructors.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Camp Texas and Westside

Westside has been around for over 15 years. Bill Carter is the main administrator and does an outstanding job. He also has many tournaments including one at the end of each clinic. So, if you do a good job at camp, you can earn your fees and then some. There are 4 sessions. The first three are for 3 person or 2 and 3 person mechanics. The last session is for advanced refs that already have a good foundation. Check the website at http://www.westsideref.com

Camp Texas is in its first year. Its target market is more experienced refs that have a good foundation and want to advance. They have two sessions. One in Spring and one in Pasedena. Many of the clinicians are the same, but they are in fact two seperate groups. Some of Camp Texas administrators are part of GHRA (Greater Houston Referees Association) and will have tournaments during the Spring and Summer too. Their website is http://www.CampTexas.us.

btw. I am the webmaster for both.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Awesome. Very informative. I appreciate your response. It certainly sounds like I need to visit the West Side Clinic, but I may need to put off CampTexas for a few seasons.