The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Multiple tweets of the whistle

I know this isn't new, but in watching the NCAA tournament, I noticed that the officials almost always blow their whistle multiple times on fouls/violations that result in a turnover. So if its a simple foul on the defense, you get "tweet", but it its a charge or a travel, you get "tweet-tweet, tweet-tweet" or some variation followed by a signal going the other way.

Does anyone know how this started? Is this something that is specifically addressed at the college/pro level in the officials manual, or is this left unwritten at the college/pro level and become a best practice of sorts?

I only see it occasionally at the HS level which makes sense since it directly contradicts what the NFHS manual says.

Personally I like it and wish NFHS would adopt it as a standard, but if NCAA/Pro don't have this as a written standard, I would assume its not going to happen any time soon.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 01:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Just something that has evolved apparently. I will occasionally hear an observer comment on the unnecessariness (yes, I just added that word to my dictionary to eliminate the squiggly line) of it.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I know this isn't new, but in watching the NCAA tournament, I noticed that the officials almost always blow their whistle multiple times on fouls/violations that result in a turnover. So if its a simple foul on the defense, you get "tweet", but it its a charge or a travel, you get "tweet-tweet, tweet-tweet" or some variation followed by a signal going the other way.

Does anyone know how this started? Is this something that is specifically addressed at the college/pro level in the officials manual, or is this left unwritten at the college/pro level and become a best practice of sorts?

I only see it occasionally at the HS level which makes sense since it directly contradicts what the NFHS manual says.

Personally I like it and wish NFHS would adopt it as a standard, but if NCAA/Pro don't have this as a written standard, I would assume its not going to happen any time soon.
Yes, I do it some times. Also, what you also may be hearing on TV is two different officials whistles, one right after the other.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 09:39am
High Five Master

thumbs down

Not a fan of tweeting the whistle. Seems to me it is becoming more prevelant in college ranks too. I prefer the sharp blast of the whistle. To me, that gets the point across just fine. Multiple tweets seem less confident and unnecessary to me.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

I inadvertently tend to do it on some travels and wish I could break myself of it.

I also do it on held balls when two players are about to wrestle each other for the ball. I'm okay with that because I want the players to hear the whistle to know the play is over.

I can't recall ever sounding the whistle more than once for team or player control foul, and I don't see the point.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 03:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Seems I do my double tweets on travels, illegal dribbles, and held balls. Why, I do not know.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Apr 02, 2015 at 03:32pm.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 03:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Thought I Saw A Pussy Cat ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
I inadvertently tend to do it on some travels and wish I could break myself of it.
Me too. It's a hard habit to break.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Apr 09, 2015, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Back from vacation. Hope nobody missed me.

A D1 women's official I know from CA called it a "staccato" whistle. He had no issues with it. Basically felt it was helpful for selling certain calls, either 50/50 fouls or unexpected ones. He didn't advocate it for every call, just some. Officials are generally given some latitude to develop their own style points, and I think this is merely an extension of that.

Anyway, aside from a purist or two, he's never been criticized for it. Seems to me it's widely accepted now as an extra-manual practice. So I guess I don't feel like it's a bad habit in need of breaking as some have posted.
Old Thu Apr 09, 2015, 07:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Back from vacation. Hope nobody missed me.

Where were you, In D Anapolis?
Old Thu Apr 09, 2015, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Seems I do my double tweets on travels, illegal dribbles, and held balls. Why, I do not know.
I find myself doing it on travels, illegal dribbles, and some OOB violations by a dribbler.

I have no idea why I do it either but have no desire to change the habit or for it to be formally added to the manual.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

travels or illegal dribbles...or goofy fouls- illegal screens etc.