The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Interesting sitch from another Intramural game (basically NCAA rules) involving 3 T's being given out.

3 whistle crew:
I'm L. Starts with B1 guarding A1 in backcourt T has foul goes to report and as he walks by B1 slams basketball against backcourt backboard right in front of T (he calls nothing and as he and C are alot closer than I am I don't want to jump their call so to speak, plus I may be missing something from L).
As we line up to shoot the bonus, B1 runs his trap to calling official and winds up with a T. B1 continues to run his mouth and grabs a 2nd T (in calling the first T partner pretty much prevokes the 2nd by getting in B1's face). At this point being most experienced of the crew I pull aside the T that started this all off (called original foul and both T's) and calm him under the guise of "discussing what has happened.
While all of this is going on, third official should be watching all the other players, but when I turn to announce that we will have 4 shots for the T's and go POI, I see A2 hanging on the rim (not just jumping and touching, but hanging like a monkey) so we have another T (which warrents ejection, but only 1 T in our league).
Lots of fun at this point, but I have one of my officials telling me that we should only shoot 2 shots and then POI. I corrected the whole thing and we shot 4 shots at A's goal then 2 at B's and then went back to the 1-1 shots. B goes crazy saying that should get the ball at half court and bonus shouldn't even be shot (got very heated almost another T).
Thankfully the supervisor of the entire IM program stepped in and calmed the situation. Magically his word is gold and mine is dogie poo. Amazing how a ref's word is typically final but gets poo poo attitude all the time.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Sounds like a fun night! How come you shot all the T's and they didn't cancel each other out? I assume you are using NCAA rules.

My two sense!
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Yes NCAA rules, but the T's don't cancel out as it is a false double tech situation. FT's only cancel out if they are part of a double T sitch.

For example, I don't remember the proper case number, but in Fed if prior to the game A1 dunks (give him the smack down), team B shoots 2 shots to start the game. However still prior to the game, but 4 minutes after A1 dunks, B1 gets into the dunk fest (more smack down), but now team A will get 2 shots. B will shoot their 2 followed by A shooting 2 and B will get the ball at the division line to start the game. Despite the fact that both teams will shoot Tech FT's back to back - False Double T shoot them all, and in the order they occured.

Of course if I'm wrong be sure to let me know, but I'm pretty sure of this.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Boomer...I'm sure the IM director didn't step in to make you look bad. Being one myself, sometimes students just want to yell at someone else. Glad to see you in here. i wish I could get more of my officials to learn from this forum. But, we do what we can. Do you just officiate or do you work for the IM department in any other role? Take care and I hope your IM season finishes well. We start playoffs next week.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

BoomerSooner, been there, thats one of the reasons I quit doing mens leagues. Good luck.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
For example, I don't remember the proper case number, but in Fed if prior to the game A1 dunks (give him the smack down), team B shoots 2 shots to start the game. However still prior to the game, but 4 minutes after A1 dunks, B1 gets into the dunk fest (more smack down), but now team A will get 2 shots. B will shoot their 2 followed by A shooting 2 and B will get the ball at the division line to start the game. Despite the fact that both teams will shoot Tech FT's back to back - False Double T shoot them all, and in the order they occured.

Of course if I'm wrong be sure to let me know, but I'm pretty sure of this.
Your almost right! 2003-2004 Case Book pg 45 6.3.1
Team A will get the ball at the division line; B was the last team to get a T. Arrow to B when you start.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

I was on the right track, I just didn't have my case book.

As for my position in IM, I just officiate although I am the senior official (being a 5th year senior has its advantages). All it really means is my input as to the other officials progress and on how to handle certain game situations goes a little farther than the other officials.

As for the IM director making me look bad, I know that wasn't his intention at all. It's just common in our league for his word to be gold, mainly cause he can boot teams w/o refund for poor behavior. Officials just don't get the same respect.