The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Tweets about ref lands coach in hot h20

Tweets about ref prompt KHSAA to punish Jeffersontown coach Morrow | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal

Tweets about ref prompt KHSAA to punish Jeffersontown coach Morrow

The Kentucky High School Athletic Association has reprimanded Jeffersontown boys' basketball coach Jeff Morrow for critical postings he made about a referee on Twitter after a game this month.

Morrow used his Twitter account to call out referee Tom Wallace, who counted a last-second basket that gave Bullitt East a 56-54 overtime victory over J'town on Jan. 14 in the quarterfinals of the Republic Bank/Coca-Cola Louisville Invitational Tournament.

TV replays showed that Derek Willis' basket came after the buzzer, meaning the game should have gone to a second overtime.

KHSAA commissioner Julian Tackett said he is not aware of any coach previously being penalized for a posting on a social network. It's the third time in four seasons that Morrow has been penalized for KHSAA rule violations.

The association ruled Morrow violated the organization's Bylaw 11 concerning sportsmanship and issued the following penalties:

The J'town boys' basketball program was fined $1,500.

Morrow loses coaching-box privileges for three games and is confined to the bench.

Morrow must appear and make a public apology at the next regularly scheduled meeting of Kentuckiana Basketball Officials.

Morrow must make public presentations at in-service professional-development sessions to Jefferson County coaches, administrators and principals on the subject of negative media relations and improper or inappropriate use of social networking.

Morrow will appear as a presenter at the 2011 HYPE Student Leadership Conference and discuss the subject of acting while under stress without regaining one's composure.

“Public coaching commentary about officiating is a natural part of the contest,” Tackett said in a release. “But when the individual names or positions are used by the coaches in such criticism, it crosses the line of what's permitted.”

Morrow has spent two games confined to the bench — Saturday against Tates Creek and Tuesday against St. Xavier — and will complete that penalty Friday against Male. He said he will pay the $1,500 fine himself.

“I don't think it's fair to have the school pay it,” he said. “They're not the ones who did it.”

Morrow said he let his emotions “get the best of me.”

“I regretted it shortly after it happened,” he said. “I'm sorry that it happened, and I've learned from it and it won't happen again.”

He said he hasn't spoken to Wallace, but “I plan to speak to him when the time is right and apologize.”

Morrow was suspended four games during the 2007-08 season for violating recruiting rules, and he was suspended for the first eight games of the 2008-09 season after violating rules concerning the summer “dead period,” when coaches are not allowed to watch or have contact with their players.

J'town athletic director Jeff Edwards said that he talked to Morrow and that the program “is moving on.”

“I think we're all on the same page that we'd rather not see these things happen,” Edwards said.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:39am
Esteemed Participant

Wow...pretty stiff penalties. I like that! Of course, the fact that the guy has been in hot water with the KHSAA several times before probably had something to do with that. This makes three out of the last 4 seasons he has been suspended/disciplined...why is the school keeping him around?
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
TV replays showed that Derek Willis' basket came after the buzzer, meaning the game should have gone to a second overtime.
I'm ok with the basket coming after the buzzer.

BTW, I like the penalties also.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

J'town athletic director Jeff Edwards said that he talked to Morrow and that the program “is moving on.”

“I think we're all on the same page that we'd rather not see these things happen,” Edwards said.
Translated - "we don't really give a crap that our coach breaks rules and brings shame to our program, we are standing behind him all the way. "

What a class act program
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I'm ok with the basket coming after the buzzer.
What does that mean?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

We just got an email last week from the state office, warning us of the consequences of making inappropriate remarks about games, coaches or players on social networking media. Be careful what you say, posts, and do.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
What does that mean?
It means the basket can be after the buzzer, it's the shot that has to beat it.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:57pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
What does that mean?
Maybe the basket came after the buzzer. But, did the try leave the player's hands before the buzzer?
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What does that mean?
Ball leaves hands.....then buzzer....then ball goes in basket....good bucket
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Maybe the basket came after the buzzer. But, did the try leave the player's hands before the buzzer?
But depending on how you read the OP

Quote:
....I took it to mean the shot left the player's hand AFTER the buzzer. If that is the case, it should not have counted but still doesn't justify his actions.

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Thu Jan 27, 2011 at 01:05pm.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post

....I took it to mean the shot left the palyer's hand AFTER the buzzer. If that is the case, it should not have counted but still doesn't justify his actions.
Sure that's likely what it means, just sloppy reporting.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post

....I took it to mean the shot left the player's hand AFTER the buzzer. If that is the case, it should not have counted but still doesn't justify his actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Sure that's likely what it means, just sloppy reporting.
Or whoever consulted the TV Replay before the Twitter comments were made doesn't know the rules. That's just as likely.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Or whoever consulted the TV Replay before the Twitter comments were made doesn't know the rules. That's just as likely.
Maybe, but chances are the coach knows a shot doesn't have to go in before the horn. My money is on sloppy writing.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 02:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
“Public coaching commentary about officiating is a natural part of the contest,” Tackett said in a release. “But when the individual names or positions are used by the coaches in such criticism, it crosses the line of what's permitted.”
Am I reading this right? It's OK to crap on officials publically as long as you don't name or identify 'em?

Or am I missing something?
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 04:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Am I reading this right? It's OK to crap on officials publically as long as you don't name or identify 'em?

Or am I missing something?
A local coach in our area was fined by FHSAA for inappropriate comments to the media about the officiating in a particular game.

Not naming specific games and situations SHOULD be a given for anyone who posts here, or anywhere else. Even references other than A1, B1 are much safer than V45 & H23 when describing plays. Sometimes, people want to publicly talk about a situation, but should refrain. 'No comment' never hurt anybody.