The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
Give a solid whistle at the time the horn goes, then mark the position of the ball on the whistle. I have a problem when partners don't give a whistle on a last second shot until the shot is over (missed or made), as it gives the appearance that an official could be making the decision (count it/don't count it) at the time the shot is made.

Anything close like this play, why would you NOT get with your partner or partners?? What are the negatives in doing so? To me, it only looks better when the crew comes together and at least gives the appearance that the call made was in agreement with the crew.
The whistle should be blown at the end of the quarter. However the quarter doesn't end until a shot attempt ends. While the ball is in the air there shouldn't be a whistle. Blowing it at the sound of the horn is not correct. Rule 6.7.5 exception a.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 10:28am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedYooper View Post
The whistle should be blown at the end of the quarter...
Rule citation?
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 10:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Rule citation?
You need a rule to tell you when to blow a whistle?
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 10:40am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You need a rule to tell you when to blow a whistle?
No...just a justification, based on a written rule.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
The whistle should be blown at the end of the quarter. However the quarter doesn't end until a shot attempt ends. While the ball is in the air there shouldn't be a whistle. Blowing it at the sound of the horn is not correct. Rule 6.7.5 exception a.
I agree that the FED has not established an official way to end a quarter. However, (Rule 1.14) "...... the audible timer's signal shall indicate that time has expired." I am not saying the whistle automatically ends the quarter or ends a try for goal if the shot is in the air. Putting a whistle to the audible signal/horn gives that official, as well as everyone in the gym, a reference as to where the ball is at that point. How would you ever get in trouble by putting a whistle to the scoreboard's horn at the end of a quarter?

In the OP, the T's whistle is a full second after the horn. Had he put a whistle on the horn, it may have helped him establish the fact that the ball was out of the shooter's hand at the time the horn sounded.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed that if that shot was after the horn the whistle should have been blown a lot sooner. Also, it would be an ideal time to sell it (see other thread). The video didn't instill confidence that the shot was late. However, based upon the single clip I can't tell if it was after the horn or not.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed that if that shot was after the horn the whistle should have been blown a lot sooner. Also, it would be an ideal time to sell it (see other thread). The video didn't instill confidence that the shot was late. However, based upon the single clip I can't tell if it was after the horn or not.
Agree. Agree...video(s) inconclusive.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 12:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
I agree that the FED has not established an official way to end a quarter. However, (Rule 1.14) "...... the audible timer's signal shall indicate that time has expired." I am not saying the whistle automatically ends the quarter or ends a try for goal if the shot is in the air. Putting a whistle to the audible signal/horn gives that official, as well as everyone in the gym, a reference as to where the ball is at that point. How would you ever get in trouble by putting a whistle to the scoreboard's horn at the end of a quarter?

In the OP, the T's whistle is a full second after the horn. Had he put a whistle on the horn, it may have helped him establish the fact that the ball was out of the shooter's hand at the time the horn sounded.
I'm not putting whistle on the play until it is dead. That means immediately if the ball is still in the shooter's hand when time expires. A legal shot in mid-flight is not getting a whistle from me. I will hit my whistle the shot goes through the basket or when it is obvious that the shot is no good.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm not putting whistle on the play until it is dead. That means immediately if the ball is still in the shooter's hand when time expires. A legal shot in mid-flight is not getting a whistle from me. I will hit my whistle the shot goes through the basket or when it is obvious that the shot is no good.
Me, too.

And, fwiw, this specific procedure is in the NCAW CCA manual.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Agree 100%.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 03:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Sounds Of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel, 1964) ...

Our local guys have been instructed not to sound the whistle to end a period, unless something "weird" happens to end the period (foul right before horn, shot not released before horn sounds, horn doesn't sound with all zeros, etc.)

I don't believe that there is anything in the NFHS Rulebook that states that an official shall sound his whistle at the end of a period. I don't believe that there's anything in the IAABO Mechanics Manual that that states that an official shall sound his whistle at the end of a period. I don't have access to a NFHS Mechanics Manual, but I would like to know what it states. A little help please ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 10, 2015 at 04:17pm.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Our local guys have been instructed not to sound the whistle to end a period, unless something "weird" happens to end the period (foul right before horn, shot not released before horn sounds, horn doesn't sound with all zeros, etc.)

I don't believe that there is anything in the NFHS Rulebook that states that an official shall sound his whistle at the end of a period. I don't believe that there's anything in the IAABO Mechanics Manual that that states that an official shall sound his whistle at the end of a period. I don't have access to a NFHS Mechanics Manual, but I would like to know what it states. A little help please ...

With the way they want us here to limit the number of unnecessary whistles, ie don't whistle subs in(unless timer is asleep), I don't see the need to whistle the end of the period either when its obvious that the whistle isnt needed.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
100% correct as there could be a rebounding foul while the ball is still live during the try. If IUgrad has already blown his whistle, people are going to ask what his whistle was for and how does that impact the subsequent foul call.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Agree. Agree...video(s) inconclusive.
Is this for real?

Do not get me wrong, there but for the grace of God go all of us into a pickle like this, but nothing about the second video is inconclusive.

Really nothing inconclusive about the first either (unless you are hearing-impaired) as the ball is already coming through the net when the horn sounds.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

6A playoffs and they're still doing 2 man? That's a disgrace