The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Controversial end to Oregon Tournament Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99473-controversial-end-oregon-tournament-game.html)

paulsonj72 Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:03am

Controversial end to Oregon Tournament Game

Saw this come up in my twitter feed, This happened in an Oregon tournament game. The call be the officials was no good. Watch said video and tell me what you think. Ignore comments after the story.

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.c...mas-game-poll/

AremRed Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:09am

Shot looks good to me.

mutantducky Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:23am

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.c...oss-to-jesuit/

the cell phone video appears to show the shot released before the buzzer. does anyone see the clock? I wonder if that was right.

I have no problem with overturning these type of calls if the video evidence is clear. Let's move forward to the 21st century people!

Camron Rust Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 957427)
http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.c...oss-to-jesuit/

the cell phone video appears to show the shot released before the buzzer. does anyone see the clock? I wonder if that was right.

I have no problem with overturning these type of calls if the video evidence is clear. Let's move forward to the 21st century people!

That video doesn't show anything. Neither the ball nor the shooter's hand is even in the video at the time of interest. The clock also isn't visible. All you can tell from that video is that the horn sounded sometime after the ball and the shooter's hand exited the top of the video frame. It is also very hard to tell when exactly the horn started sounding.

I had just worked the team in white in the prior round on Tuesday night. It wasn't such a close game. Then I worked this same school's girls team the day after the game in question. Some of the staff at the game that day told me about it and said they thought the shot should have counted.

MechanicGuy Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:44am

Glad I wasn't on that game.....and it seems it was 2-man too

Yikes. That's a long way to go for the trail to make that call, no?

Camron Rust Tue Mar 10, 2015 01:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 957430)
Glad I wasn't on that game.....and it seems it was 2-man too

Yikes. That's a long way to go for the trail to make that call, no?

It was, but 3-person really wouldn't have helped if the last shot belongs to the official opposite the table as is the case in some mechanics systems, including NFHS. It would have still been on the trial and he would have still been coming from as far away.

Instead, the T, coming from so far away, should have obtained input from the Lead (or both the Lead and Center if it had been a 3-person game) rather than make the call on the run.

I think it would be better on short-clock situations starting in the backcourt for L to take it (or the C in a 3 person game) regardless of which side of the court they are on. The C, in a 3-person game, is a lot more likely to be in a good position to make the call on such length-of-court plays.

MechanicGuy Tue Mar 10, 2015 01:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 957432)
It was, but 3-person really wouldn't have helped if the last shot belongs to the official opposite the table as is the case in some mechanics systems, including NFHS. It would have still been on the trial and he would have still been coming from as far away.

Instead, the T, coming from so far away, should have obtained input from the Lead (or both the Lead and Center if it had been a 3-person game) rather than make the call on the run.

True, but if the goal is more information, a 3rd official (C) would have the best idea on this play, just by virtue of being within 50 feet of the play lol.

Rich Tue Mar 10, 2015 01:16am

It's sad that anyone would try to defend 2-man as anything but the dinosaur that it is.

Who's to say that in a 3-man game that wouldn't have been the C opposite?

Camron Rust Tue Mar 10, 2015 01:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 957434)
It's sad that anyone would try to defend 2-man as anything but the dinosaur that it is.

Who's to say that in a 3-man game that wouldn't have been the C opposite?

I agree that 3-person may have improved the odds of getting the call right in many games (and we do need 3-person on these). However, the location of the throw-in in the backcourt would have still had the T opposite....so it still would have been the T's call. The T would have had to ask for input on the call....something he could have done in 2-person too. If it is his call (it was and would have been with 3-person too) and he sells the call without asking for help, what could the C do?

Nevadaref Tue Mar 10, 2015 03:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 957436)
I agree that 3-person may have improved the odds of getting the call right in many games (and we do need 3-person on these). However, the location of the throw-in in the backcourt would have still had the T opposite....so it still would have been the T's call. The T would have had to ask for input on the call....something he could have done in 2-person too. If it is his call (it was and would have been with 3-person too) and he sells the call without asking for help, what could the C do?

That would depend upon which official is the R.

Raymond Tue Mar 10, 2015 07:40am

This is a play that deserves a sell job.

If the shot is not going to count we should be hearing a whistle from the Trail BEFORE the ball is going through the hoop.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 10, 2015 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 957447)
This is a play that deserves a sell job.

If the shot is not going to count we should be hearing a whistle from the Trail BEFORE the ball is going through the hoop.

A. Totally disagree with your first statement.
B. While your second statement is the proper procedure, it would be hard to blow the whistle at that point in this video since the horn hadn't sounded yet.

Raymond Tue Mar 10, 2015 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 957450)
A. Totally disagree with your first statement.
B. While your second statement is the proper procedure, it would be hard to blow the whistle at that point in this video since the horn hadn't sounded yet.

If a shot is not going to count, the ball should still be in the player's hand or just released, when the whistle sounds. The first whistle to disallow a shot shouldn't come after the ball has gone through the basket.

IUgrad92 Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:09am

Give a solid whistle at the time the horn goes, then mark the position of the ball on the whistle. I have a problem when partners don't give a whistle on a last second shot until the shot is over (missed or made), as it gives the appearance that an official could be making the decision (count it/don't count it) at the time the shot is made.

Anything close like this play, why would you NOT get with your partner or partners?? What are the negatives in doing so? To me, it only looks better when the crew comes together and at least gives the appearance that the call made was in agreement with the crew.

Bad Zebra Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:22am

As I've posted in the past...this situation illustrates the need for a specific mechanic to end a period (at least for HS). Nowhere in the FED rule book, case book, or Officials' Manual does it indicate how a whistle should be used to end the period. Thus, everybody does it differently. There is no consistency among states, associations...sometimes no consistency within a crew. Debates occur every year as one of these tight games always seems to happen near the end of the season. Video replay is addressed for state tournaments...but not the use of the whistle. Always find that curious.