The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
This is a foul under every single rule set.

Could I do without the theatrics? Sure...not a big fan of it. But I also would have the belief, that at that level, if my partner comes in like this, he saw something that I didn't see and had to be got...like a foul preceding/causing a travel.
Sure, but why did Luckie wait until after the L had gone with a travel to hold up his fist and then storm on in to let everyone know who was in charge? I guarantee that if Luckie had just talked to him instead of flying in like a madman and looking like a buffoon, the L would have acquiesced without any argument.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

He probably thought the lead saw the same thing he did and was going to call the foul..then realized that oh **** he went with a travel.

At this point, he's going to have to come up with a fist. And with such a late whistle, he's going to have to sell it a bit. I still don't agree with the theatrics of running in and all the pointing and what not...that I think should have been done without.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 03:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Maybe these 2 officials have worked together enough they have an understanding about these types of situations.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 04:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Maybe these 2 officials have worked together enough they have an understanding about these types of situations.
I was just going to say that. We work in crews mostly here, so I work with the same 2 officials 25-30 times a season. If one of my guys comes in like that, I thank him.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
My point is, it was a bush league move by Jamie Luckie, and I would not tolerate it, whether my call was wrong or not. You want to race in and talk to me about it and let ME change it, that's fine, but to come in like that, make both of us look like complete buffoons.. yea that's not going to happen without a major talk in the locker room after the game.
What was there for the L to change? Luckie had a different call that preceded that travel. He was not saying the travel was incorrect. He, like we are taught to do, watched the entire play from start to finish. The L beat him to the whistle so he held off. But, when he realized that the 2nd infraction was called instead of the first, he came in with what he had. He didn't overrule his partner. Nothing about what he did said the travel didn't happen. He just said he had a foul before the travel. That happens a lot....all without discussion. It is usually done with less theatrics, however.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
What was there for the L to change? Luckie had a different call that preceded that travel. He was not saying the travel was incorrect. He, like we are taught to do, watched the entire play from start to finish. The L beat him to the whistle so he held off. But, when he realized that the 2nd infraction was called instead of the first, he came in with what he had. He didn't overrule his partner. Nothing about what he did said the travel didn't happen. He just said he had a foul before the travel. That happens a lot....all without discussion. It is usually done with less theatrics, however.
He may have observed what he believed to be a foul before the travel, but he didn't actually call it before the travel. Instead he waited until after his partner whistled and signaled for a travel to then sound his whistle, put a fist in the air, and come running in like a crazy man.
That foul had better be a smack to the head or a flagrant 1 or 2 for an official to conduct himself like that. Then again we would have to ask why he simply doesn't put a whistle on the play when he observes it. If he is going to be looking there, then call there instead of trying to stay out of it until something he doesn't like occurs. In my opinion, the time for him to get involved had passed. He should have lived with and supported his partner's call.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 09:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

1) It was not a travel per 9-6.7 and A.R. 198.

2) NCAA-Men's wants a foul called when A1 goes to the ground following contact from a defender who is behind A1.

3) The Lead recognized right away what Luckie was calling, and gave a nod of approval. These guys have known each other for years. They know each others' officiating personalities.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 23, 2015 at 11:50am.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 09:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
1) ...

3) What is Jamie Luckie doing on this play other than holding up his fist AFTER the travel call, storming in to take the call WITHOUT any concern for his partner, and then pointing at a million different bodies? I'm not convinced a foul was the correct call there, either. I'm also not happy if I'm the lead in that situation, although I realize who I'm working with.
He pointed twice at the offender, and once up court for the free throws.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In my opinion, the time for him to get involved had passed. He should have lived with and supported his partner's call.
The lead probably went into the locker room and thanked his partner for not having this mentality and getting the call wrong....especially on a contact emphasized as a foul by the powers that be.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 01:02am
AremRed

Quote:
He may have observed what he believed to be a foul before the travel, but he didn't actually call it before the travel. Instead he waited until after his partner whistled and signaled for a travel to then sound his whistle, put a fist in the air, and come running in like a crazy man.
That foul had better be a smack to the head or a flagrant 1 or 2 for an official to conduct himself like that. Then again we would have to ask why he simply doesn't put a whistle on the play when he observes it. If he is going to be looking there, then call there instead of trying to stay out of it until something he doesn't like occurs. In my opinion, the time for him to get involved had passed. He should have lived with and supported his partner's call.
How much should the official have been fined this time?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
How much should the official have been fined this time?
Honestly, as an assignor, I don't use Luckie for two games for being overbearing towards and embarrassing his partner.

People skills are important in this and Luckie didn't exhibit any in that situation.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 09:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Honestly, as an assignor, I don't use Luckie for two games for being overbearing towards and embarrassing his partner.

People skills are important in this and Luckie didn't exhibit any in that situation.
His partner wasn't embarrassed.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This...is a two game suspension for you?

Perhaps a talking to, but a two game suspension is over the top. You know it, and we all know it...this is nowhere close to worthy of losing any games...not in the real world.

Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 10:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Then you are terrible as an assigner. End of story.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
1) It was not a travel per 9-6.7 and A.R. 194.
I think you're right about keeping the pivot in the play. Not travel. AR 198 in latest book.