The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Use your mulligan?

Boys varsity game last night--insert the didn't care who won disclaimer--tied after regulation. Jump ball to start overtime is tossed really poorly, way off center toward H jumper. I'm not certain V could have gotten a hand on it had he been in the circle by himself. U's really had no reason to blow it dead, as they had no angle, and no one violated. So it was a play on.

My question is, if you're the R, and you know it's a lousy toss to start ot--do you kill the play (and possession) with a late whistle (as it's not in your mouth on the toss) and reset clock and re-jump? Or play on?

There was no question how bad the toss was. V coach certainly addressed it immediately, and he and R discussed it (civilly) between the first and second ot. Toss to start second ot was bad also, but not as egregious. To start ot 3, R opted to sub out and let U1 do the honors. Good move.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 07:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
To start ot 3...
Are you trying to kill me?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 09:49pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Boys varsity game last night--insert the didn't care who won disclaimer--tied after regulation. Jump ball to start overtime is tossed really poorly, way off center toward H jumper. I'm not certain V could have gotten a hand on it had he been in the circle by himself. U's really had no reason to blow it dead, as they had no angle, and no one violated. So it was a play on.

My question is, if you're the R, and you know it's a lousy toss to start ot--do you kill the play (and possession) with a late whistle (as it's not in your mouth on the toss) and reset clock and re-jump? Or play on?

There was no question how bad the toss was. V coach certainly addressed it immediately, and he and R discussed it (civilly) between the first and second ot. Toss to start second ot was bad also, but not as egregious. To start ot 3, R opted to sub out and let U1 do the honors. Good move.
I'm confused... why did the U1 (the one responsible for watching the tossed ball) not have a good enough angle on a jump ball?

If I had definite knowledge that the toss was bad, and my partners did nothing, then I'd blow it back.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

He may have been a little deep cheating toward the endline, but I'd have to see it again to say for certain.

It's not a bad vantage point to see a stolen tip--but not the greatest for blowing back a lopsided toss.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

I have certainly blow back my own bad toss. I would do it again in a heart beat.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Toss to start second ot was bad also, but not as egregious. To start ot 3, R opted to sub out and let U1 do the honors. Good move.
I agree with going to the bullpen to bring in the lefty!
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

A few years ago I worked on a toss where I just popped the ball up starting at my eye level. I simply could not perfect it. So I shifted to a hesitation toss where I dribble between the jumpers 1-3 times and then lift the toss starting at waist level. It's a lot more consistent, but probably not as safe from an injury prevention standpoint.

I digress. Despite my more consistent toss, I was working some youth games last weekend where I could not throw the ball within +/- 10° of vertical to save my life. It was all over the place. So my sympathies to the R in the OP; there are days like those.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 10:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

I threw a bad one up last week. Neither partner blew it back. I should've, probably, but didn't.

I told the offended coach he'd get the next 2 out of 3.

(No, I didn't do this. We did have a laugh over it, though.)

First one I would've liked back in a few years. It happens.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 10:38am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper68 View Post
I have certainly blow back my own bad toss. I would do it again in a heart beat.
I do not have the ability to call back my own toss if it is bad, I remove my whistle from my mouth before I toss the ball.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 10:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I do not have the ability to call back my own toss if it is bad, I remove my whistle from my mouth before I toss the ball.
And it would take such effort to put whistle back in mouth and blow.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So does (hopefully) every official.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:11am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And it would take such effort to put whistle back in mouth and blow.
It does, and by the time I done so, we are not stopping the game and starting over. Either one of my partners are going to call the toss back, or we are playing on.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:13am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post

Every season I see more of my partners than I would expect not do so.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Called The BillyMac Is Getting Older Mechanic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Not me. It's the best part of being the referee tosser. I let the umpire make all the calls for the rest of the first period. I also let the umpire (two person Connecticut) run from lead to lead while I stand back at the trail for the entire game. Switches? We ain't got no switches. We don't need no switches. I don't have to show you any stinkin' switches (with apologies to Gold Hat).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 22, 2015 at 11:16am.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It does, and by the time I done so, we are not stopping the game and starting over. Either one of my partners are going to call the toss back, or we are playing on.
I get this -- it's the main reason why I didn't blow mine back.

I could've, but it was good enough for U1/U2 and the ball was already in the front court in the possession of a team, and it's just not that big of a deal.