View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 09:49pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
Boys varsity game last night--insert the didn't care who won disclaimer--tied after regulation. Jump ball to start overtime is tossed really poorly, way off center toward H jumper. I'm not certain V could have gotten a hand on it had he been in the circle by himself. U's really had no reason to blow it dead, as they had no angle, and no one violated. So it was a play on.

My question is, if you're the R, and you know it's a lousy toss to start ot--do you kill the play (and possession) with a late whistle (as it's not in your mouth on the toss) and reset clock and re-jump? Or play on?

There was no question how bad the toss was. V coach certainly addressed it immediately, and he and R discussed it (civilly) between the first and second ot. Toss to start second ot was bad also, but not as egregious. To start ot 3, R opted to sub out and let U1 do the honors. Good move.
I'm confused... why did the U1 (the one responsible for watching the tossed ball) not have a good enough angle on a jump ball?

If I had definite knowledge that the toss was bad, and my partners did nothing, then I'd blow it back.