The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Solves A Lot Of Problems ...

Just flip a damn coin, or give the ball to the visitors.

(I can't wait until Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. wakes up from his pre-lunch nap, and reads this.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Every season I see more of my partners than I would expect not do so.
I've seen rookies do it, and always bring it up to them later.

Never seen anyone beyond his rookie year forget. Kinda like the back pedal.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Stuff Happens ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Never seen anyone beyond his rookie year forget.
Not necessarily after a jump ball, but I'd be lying to everybody if I said that I've never once forgotten to put a whistle in my mouth over the past thirty-four years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 12:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not necessarily after a jump ball, but I'd be lying to everybody if I said that I've never once forgotten to put a whistle in my mouth over the past thirty-four years.
Read the posts again, Billy.

Test question for you:
We're talking about officials who a) forget to put the whistle back in their mouth. or b) officials who don't take the whistle out of their mouth prior to administering a jump ball.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen the tossing official blow back a toss...or even get an obvious violation on a jump ball...several seconds after the fact.

I would say if it's egregious enough...I'm talking real egregious, then I get it. But 98/100 times, live with what the U1 and/or U2 have ruled.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 02:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Like Arnold Horshack ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
We're talking about officials who forget to put the whistle back in their mouth ...
Bingo.

Quote:
I'd be lying to everybody if I said that I've never once forgotten to put a whistle in my mouth over the past thirty-four years.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 02:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I occasionally get ready to start the second half without realizing my whistle is still in my pocket.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Whistle stays

I step in, toss it high, and take a half step backwards - all with a whistle in my mouth. I have never been bumped, hit, pushed or otherwise assaulted during this process in many years of reffing. The key is to keep room between the players, delay a bit after stepping in, toss it high from shoulder heighth, and pull back a little bit out of the way so they don't come down on top of you. It might not be how others would do it but this works for me!
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

You might the first person I've heard (save for rookies) advocate keeping the whistle while tossing the ball...

I like my teeth intact...all it takes is a flailing arm to get ya...step back or not. Plus, you're still in the pocket when you're actually tossing the ball...which means a player can still get you on the way up.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
I step in, toss it high, and take a half step backwards - all with a whistle in my mouth. I have never been bumped, hit, pushed or otherwise assaulted during this process in many years of reffing. The key is to keep room between the players, delay a bit after stepping in, toss it high from shoulder heighth, and pull back a little bit out of the way so they don't come down on top of you. It might not be how others would do it but this works for me!
It works well for you until you get the bill for getting your teeth fixed.

The Officials Manual also explicitly says to remove the whistle before tossing.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 02:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
You are literally the only person I've ever seen advocate for this. There is absolutely zero upside to keeping your whistle in here, and the downside is huge. If you're teaching new officials this, you're doing them a major disservice.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Not advoating it, just saying I have been doing it this way for a while. I do hear what you guys are saying and maybe I'll break that habit before I have a reason to bteak it.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just flip a damn coin, or give the ball to the visitors.

(I can't wait until Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. wakes up from his pre-lunch nap, and reads this.)
Yuck. Would it change the game? Not really. But it is, in my view, a nice traditional piece. (Of course, I think we should abolish the playground rule otherwise known as the AParrow . . . .) At the start of the game, I agree it really doesn't matter. In OT -- especially at younger levels with shorter OTs -- that tip can matter an awful lot and I'd really hate to see that go to a coin flip.

(And perhaps I'm also biased at the moment because my son is an effective jumper on jump balls, and an effective jump ball play has led to layups in about half their games.)
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 01:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Yuck. Would it change the game? Not really. But it is, in my view, a nice traditional piece. (Of course, I think we should abolish the playground rule otherwise known as the AParrow . . . .) At the start of the game, I agree it really doesn't matter. In OT -- especially at younger levels with shorter OTs -- that tip can matter an awful lot and I'd really hate to see that go to a coin flip.

(And perhaps I'm also biased at the moment because my son is an effective jumper on jump balls, and an effective jump ball play has led to layups in about half their games.)
So 80% of the time the ball goes to the team with the tallest center. Idiotic way to start a game.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't mind going to a coin flip, if only to give some meaning to otherwise near-useless captain's meeting. And to FINALLY have a reason for all my partners who still insist on asking who the 'speaking captain' is.