Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 04:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Heads I Win, Tails You Lose ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
And to FINALLY have a reason for all my partners who still insist on asking who the 'speaking captain' is.
Good point. We can't have all three tri-captains stating heads, or tails, at the same time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't mind going to a coin flip, if only to give some meaning to otherwise near-useless captain's meeting. And to FINALLY have a reason for all my partners who still insist on asking who the 'speaking captain' is.
Doesn't help. We have the coin toss in soccer and when you ask for who's calling it all you get are blank stares.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 09:34am
AremRed

Quote:
I wouldn't mind going to a coin flip, if only to give some meaning to otherwise near-useless captain's meeting. And to FINALLY have a reason for all my partners who still insist on asking who the 'speaking captain' is.
Near-useless captains meeting?? When else are you going to tell them to play the black lines all around, keep the hands off, listen cuz we are trying to talk you out of stuff, etc.???
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 12:37pm
Administrator

Going back to the OP.

The Game Clock starts when the Toss is touched by either jumper, and we do not reset the game clock if the ball is tossed and we then blow the ball dead for the bad toss.

I had a mulligan in the 1983-84 season (I remember because the "better half" and I only lived in LA from 1982 to 1984.) and we jumped all held balls (we only had two-person crews back then). I was going to toss the ball for a jump ball at Team A's free throw circle when I did not make a very good toss and I knew it. B1 tapped the ball toward her team's basket and because of my poor toss Team B was going to have a easy layup. I had trouble grabbing my whistle to blow the play dead and re-toss the ball and without thinking I yelled: "WAIT A MINUTE!!" My partner sensed I wanted to bring the ball back and whistled the ball dead. We all laughed: partner, players, and coaches. I re-tossed the ball and Team B got the ball off of the tip.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 03:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Legal Touch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The Game Clock starts when the Toss is touched by either jumper, and we do not reset the game clock if the ball is tossed and we then blow the ball dead for the bad toss.
Not quite. Almost only counts in horseshoes, and hand grenades.

5-9-2: If play is started or resumed by a jump, the clock shall be started when the tossed ball is legally touched.

If you're retossing for a bad toss, then you would be correct to not reset the game clock if the ball was legally touched.

If you call a violation because the ball was legally touched, and subsequently illegally caught by one of the jumpers, then you would be correct to not reset the game clock because the ball was legally touched.

However, if you call a violation because the ball was touched by a jumper on the way up, that's an illegal touch, and the game clock should be reset to 8:00 if the timekeeper had erroneously started the game clock.

Just flip a damn coin, or give the ball to the visitors. It'll save a lot of aggravation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 24, 2015 at 03:47pm.