The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

UNC/Boston College backcourt violation (Video)

12:37 first half ACC Network.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

No control established inbounds. Great job by the lead to come in and get it right.

(If only the NFHS would copy the NCAA wording on backcourt violations.)
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Took some guts for the lead to come up and provide that info. Trail was contrite and realized pretty quickly that he made a mistake. A little embarrassing, but hey, we all have brain farts from time to time. Great crew help, inadvertent whistle, BC gets the ball, and we play on. Well done.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

It doesn't look like they inbounded it at the correct spot after the IW.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It doesn't look like they inbounded it at the correct spot after the IW.
I disagree. They started to do it table side, but then they threw it across the court and administered it on the sideline closest to where the ball was when the IW occurred.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Yes -- but at about :43 of the tape, the inbounder is adjacent to the FC of white -- when the IW was in the BC of white.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 11:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Oops. I feel a lot better now about doing what the lead does here in a freshman girls game a few years ago.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

I am perplexed as to how this was missed.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Momentary brain fart.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Not to justify it, but I think a lot of the times a player's reaction to something subconsciously influences the official. I'm certain the trail knows the rules, and they did get it right in the end, but seeing the kid pause like that, probably just clouded the judgment a little.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 01:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Not to justify it, but I think a lot of the times a player's reaction to something subconsciously influences the official. I'm certain the trail knows the rules, and they did get it right in the end, but seeing the kid pause like that, probably just clouded the judgment a little.
I am sorry, but this should not be missed. I get the brain fart could happen, but this is a very basic rule and interpretation. This is not even the NF interpretation which creates some confusion. This rule has not been any different in the entire 20 years of my career at any level including the NCAA level. How does someone not know this at that level? It is one thing if we have a judgment, but a rule to be missed like this is unacceptable. This tells me that guys at this level potentially are not in their rulebooks or never got the rule before they got to this level. But I would be so terrified to miss a rule I read them all the time to try to understand even unusual situations. This was so basic and can happen multiple times a game, this should never be missed unless you are just "getting by" in your rules knowledge. The kid's reaction should not have influenced anything. Kids try to save the ball in the BC after a rebound, why would I care what a kid thinks the rule is?

Peace
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
You'd be amazed at home many officials don't really know the rules. I've had to correct this on more than one occasion, even with college officials, where they just do not know the rule.

Luckily, those partners know to trust me when I tell them what the rule is.

Even had a question come of Friday night at the watering hole after games relating to backcourt violations. There were a few that didn't believe me. I offered to put $100 down to back up my point...even increased it to $1000. Unfortunately, no one would bite. I should have given some good odds. I could have made it a very profitable night.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Feb 08, 2015 at 01:32pm.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You'd be amazed at home many officials don't really know the rules. I've had to correct this on more than one occasion, even with college officials, where they just do not know the rule.

Luckily, those partners know to trust me when I tell them what the rule is.
Actually I am not surprised at all. I have dealt with many officials over the years that give explanations for their plays they call and it has nothing to do with the rules.

I had a college game this year where an official justified a call that I made by saying something that was not apart of the rule. And I might have missed the call but did not call the play for the reason my partner thought I called the play for. I just shook my head and went on about my way. It would have been too frustrating to even broach the subject any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Even had a question come of Friday night at the watering hole after games relating to backcourt violations. There were a few that didn't believe me. I offered to put $100 down to back up my point...even increased it to $1000. Unfortunately, no one would bite. I should have given some good odds. I could have made it a very profitable night.
I had an individual try to argue with me over a uniform rule. I even went to our head person with an email and he still claims I was not right based on the bet. So it is often very disappointing what people do not know.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Even After Thirty-Four Years ...

Quote:
So it is often very disappointing what people do not know.
Include me on your list. I don't make any claim to knowing all the rules, all of the time. I just keep on trying to learn.

We (not directed at JRutledge) should all take a lesson from John 8:7: When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

I'm probably not going to be throwing many stones. When I see guys screw up, I just think, "There but for the grace of God, go I", and then I just try to straighten them out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 08, 2015 at 02:18pm.