The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

I still think his call was incorrect. It looks to me as though the player had started his dribble before his feet moved. Even if it is his primary, he was in no position to see the dribble being started, and probably based his decision only on the feet moving.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I still think his call was incorrect. It looks to me as though the player had started his dribble before his feet moved. Even if it is his primary, he was in no position to see the dribble being started, and probably based his decision only on the feet moving.
To be more precise, did the dribble begin before the pivot foot was lifted and could Pat Adams see that from his position. My belief is that he doesn't have x-ray vision.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

I've not yet seen a very good replay angle but it did not look like a travel to me.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 05:09am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Let's talk a little 3-person theory. What is the strong side? Which officials are on that side? Why does the Trail look for post travels?
Whatever side the ball is on. Trail and Lead. Because he typically doesn't have any competitive matchups in his area and helps out the Lead who is reffing waist up and watching for contact. What do I win??
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anyone else catch the four second count on the inbounds at 18:28 in the first half? One camera angle shows the official bouncing the ball and beginning his count, and you can see his arm clearly count to four before he whistles it dead.

Quote:
Also 6:50 left in the second half, travel? Maybe they missed it due to the transition?

Quote:
Pat Adams just came from a thousand feet away and whistled a travel under the basket with 52 seconds left saying it was prior to the foul the other two officials were calling. Replay shows he was wrong and that the FL player had begun a dribble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Someone please post this one so we can judge for ourselves.

Quote:

I agree that Bilas was sanctimonious and unduly negative. His disdain for what I believed was a fully correct PC against Kentucky with about 2 minutes left was absurd.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

It was a travel

Thanks for posting APG.

The final clip frame convinces me it was a travel.

#21 catches the ball with his left hand and establishes his left foot as the pivot simultaneously. He lifts the pivot up and brings it down before releasing the ball to the floor. I don't love that the T didn't close down immediately after his call but I believe it was a CC.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 10:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

It's the replay from under the basket that sold me on the travel last night. Both feet move on the pump fake, well before the dribble. The left foot's the pivot, it's lifted well before the dribble. It's also replanted, which isn't necessary for a travel call since the player dribbled, but it sure makes it an even easier call.

No problem with the player control foul -- that dip of the shoulder and subsequent use of it is enough for me.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 10:58am
Courageous When Prudent

1) appears quick but do we have the whole play?

2) definitely traveled

3) It's a travel, but the Slot should have had that. Trail did come from a long way to get it because he works so far from the basket.

4) Easy PC...and again Trail is a long way from the play

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Feb 08, 2015 at 01:30pm.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Thanks APG, you the man! The first play the ball is bounced to the inbounder while the camera is at a different angle, a sideline view showing Coach Donovan, but you can see the inbound play at the other end of the court. The view then changes to the one you see in the video posted, and there are only three more counts before a five second call is made.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 11:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

2) definitely traveled

3) It's a travel, but the slot should have had that. Trail did come from a long way to get it because he works so far from the basket.

Waiting for someone to come in and ask, "What is a slot?" LOL.

Quote:
Thanks APG, you the man! The first play the ball is bounced to the inbounder while the camera is at a different angle, a sideline view showing Coach Donovan, but you can see the inbound play at the other end of the court. The view then changes to the one you see in the video posted, and there are only three more counts before a five second call is made.
Is it possible he didn't swing the arm for the 5th count? There's a 1-second-ish delay between what appears to be the fourth swing and the calling of the violation.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Waiting for someone to come in and ask, "What is a slot?" LOL.
Apparently a bunch of NBA referees post in here

Quote:

2) definitely traveled

3) It's a travel, but the slot should have had that. Trail did come from a long way to get it because he works so far from the basket.

I completely agree on all four points.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it possible he didn't swing the arm for the 5th count? There's a 1-second-ish delay between what appears to be the fourth swing and the calling of the violation.
I actually think you're probably right, I just don't know why anyone would do that. When I watched it live, I actually rewound and pulled out the old stopwatch and timed it: 5.04 is what I had. Legitimate 5 seconds yes, but very odd to not actually count the full 5.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
Apparently a bunch of NBA referees post in here
Nah, I'm just poking fun.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Bilas: "I don't know how you can do that. That's a foul, not a walk."
Me: "I don't know how you have a job."

It's really a shame. So many people look up to Bilas as one of the smartest sports commentators on television, and yet he blatantly misleads viewers with his lack of rules knowledge, constant second-guessing of the officials' judgment, and making it his mission to let everyone know that no one knows more than he does.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2) definitely traveled

Now that I've seen a better view of 3, I now agree on all.