The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 03:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Violation or nuttin?

I was talking with a guy here at the assisted living center where I now reside and he asked me a question about something that happened in a men's wreck game he was in about 15 years ago. It was played in a MS gym. After a basket by team A, B1 went to take the ball OOB along the endline. B2 broke down the court and B1 attempted to throw him a long pass to try to get a breakaway layup. However, the inbound pass hit the rim of the faraway basket, bounced upward and then it came down, bounced onto the court inbounds where B2 grabbed it and put it into the basket.

He said he knew it was a violation an inbound pass hits the rim right above you, but he didn't know if the rule also applied to the inbound pass hitting the rim on the basket down court.

I asked him what the officials ruled and he said he didn't remember - not that unusual for those of us here.

What's your call? Rule reference please. Oh yeah - they use NF rules in that organization.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 03:04pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I was talking with a guy here at the assisted living center where I now reside and he asked me a question about something that happened in a men's wreck game he was in about 15 years ago. It was played in a MS gym. After a basket by team A, B1 went to take the ball OOB along the endline. B2 broke down the court and B1 attempted to throw him a long pass to try to get a breakaway layup. However, the inbound pass hit the rim of the faraway basket, bounced upward and then it came down, bounced onto the court inbounds where B2 grabbed it and put it into the basket.

He said he knew it was a violation an inbound pass hits the rim right above you, but he didn't know if the rule also applied to the inbound pass hitting the rim on the basket down court.

I asked him what the officials ruled and he said he didn't remember - not that unusual for those of us here.

What's your call? Rule reference please. Oh yeah - they use NF rules in that organization.
Nothing.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

what is the violation for the inbounds ball hitting the rim?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

It's not a violation no matter which rim it hits.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's not a violation no matter which rim it hits.
(I know you know this, but someone else out there may not)

As long it is one of the two that should be used for the game. Other rims that may be hanging over the court, as is the case in many small middle school gyms, are OOB.