The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yikes...

Stumbled upon this while casually surfing the web. Thoughts? I'd be embarrassed to be the officials on the clip.

http://ohsaabasketball.com/video/poo...-of-the-coach/
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Stumbled upon this while casually surfing the web. Thoughts? I'd be embarrassed to be the officials on the clip.

http://ohsaabasketball.com/video/poo...-of-the-coach/
Nice biased headline. F you, OHSAA Basketball Officials website.

Poor mechanics resulting in an ejection of the coach ... my backside.

Does the coach have a gripe? Heck yeah. Do the refs need to stop ball hawking? Heck yeah.

But it was "Coach loses her $hi+ resulting in an ejection of the coach"

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I don't disagree with the OHSAA.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches are responsible for their own reactions. This headline basically says the coach is not expected to behave if an official screws up.

The referees absolutely screwed up. And I would hope they get reprimanded (heck, their failure is on the state refereeing website... so I suspect they did or will). But the referee screw up, even one as egregious as this, does not absolve the coaches of their actions. The referee failure did not CAUSE the ejection... the coach's reaction to it did.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

What exactly is the Lead doing? (Besides not watching two players wrestle in the paint and having a goofy technical foul signal)

I also love how when there is a player on the floor and a whistle finally blows, no one closes in on the play. They all just kind of wander around. Pretty bad situational awareness.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Coaches are responsible for their own reactions. This headline basically says the coach is not expected to behave if an official screws up.

The referees absolutely screwed up. And I would hope they get reprimanded (heck, their failure is on the state refereeing website... so I suspect they did or will). But the referee screw up, even one as egregious as this, does not absolve the coaches of their actions. The referee failure did not CAUSE the ejection... the coach's reaction to it did.
And the coach will pay for her reaction with a suspension. Knowing people that officiate in the OHSAA, ejections are not able to be appealed. This wasn't missing a judgment call. This was an utter disaster in mechanics. And I think you would agree that if not for the breakdown in mechanics, the coach's reaction never happens.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

I'm not sure I agree. One technical, fine. The coach had that coming. If I were her, I'd probably get one myself.

But why stay around to give a second one there THAT QUICKLY? It's unrealistic to think a coach is going to get a technical foul and go from 10 to 0 on the angry meter and sit right down. Get out of there, let the coach vent while the FTs are being shot, and if a non-calling official has to sit the coach down, it's a minute later.

I've seen some film the last few weeks. So important for these officials to call a technical and then go all the way over to the table to report it...why? So they can stay in the kitchen of the coach they just whacked?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I don't care about the headline...though if I was on the court, I PERSONALLY, would have felt the ejection was on us...even if the T's were absolutely warranted. I'd rather discuss the mechanics and positioning at play here.

This is a failure to work the 3-man system properly. This is an active match up in the lead's primarily. He has nothing else to be distracting him...but he ball watches as the ball goes out to the wing.

The slot also has a great opportunity to get this. It looks like the majority of the players are strong side and no active match ups in his are. Extend to your secondary and find an active match up...in this case, it would be the action in the post. He puts air in this whistle, and all the L can say after the game is thanks for saving my ass.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. Either the L or the C should have seen that. There was nothing going on that would even have caused either one of them to even peripherally notice anything near where the ball was at the time.

I wonder what she said to get the second T. I don't even think she was all that out of control given what happened. Maybe one T. I've had coaches go way more apesh!t over a lot less. And the dude who missed it tosses her. Thankfully it's on tape. Embarrassing video for that crew.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Was the C coming in with a late whistle for the foul? Can't tell if he's got a fist. Or if he's just stopping play b/c the player was down.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
Was the C coming in with a late whistle for the foul? Can't tell if he's got a fist. Or if he's just stopping play b/c the player was down.
Looks like an open hand - stopping play because she was hurt. They all look clueless.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post

I wonder what she said to get the second T.
I think it was the scream she directed right in his face that did it.

Back to the original play. What would you consider calling here? There seems to be intent on the defender's part and she did go high on her opponent...
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I think it was the scream she directed right in his face that did it.

Back to the original play. What would you consider calling here? There seems to be intent on the defender's part and she did go high on her opponent...
He T'd her right in the face, too. Who does that? Just a horrible sequence from beginning to end.

I don't think there was intent to do anything but clear the kid away. The result was more because the offensive player was so much shorter than the defender and she just happened to get whacked in the neck. I don't see anything but a common foul.

Nice of no one to even go check on the kid who's on the floor.

Last edited by Smitty; Thu Jan 29, 2015 at 04:50pm.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
He T'd her right in the face, too.
I wasn't defending it, just trying to explain it.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 05:03pm
Official & Member

Quote:
He T'd her right in the face, too. Who does that? Just a horrible sequence from beginning to end.

I don't think there was intent to do anything but clear the kid away. The result was more because the offensive player was so much shorter than the defender and she just happened to get whacked in the neck. I don't see anything but a common foul.

Nice of no one to even go check on the kid who's on the floor.
Nor does anyone acknowledge #24 white slamming the ball in disgust...a guaranteed T there as well. This just makes the entire crew look BAD all around. I'm kind of surprised the governing body even saw fit to post it.

And I disagree with the headline of the web post...Poor mechanics didn't cause the ejection...I'd say poor game management was more to blame.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Thu Jan 29, 2015 at 05:16pm.