The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Best advice

A veteran ref who is both an assignor and NFHS rules interpretor once told my group "you can't go wrong if you enforce the rules as written".

There is a level of protection when we do what the book says to do. Yes, many of the fashion police rules are annoying. Yes, I would be lying if I said that I've never let something slide in a game. But if you do decide to let a player who is violating the uniform rule and the other coach complains to your board or there is an evaluator watching it may affect you down the road.

I have had several coaches (mostly at the behest of aggravated parents) complain when I have disallowed a leg sleeve or insisted players change mismatched under-shirts and have always been backed by my board because I was applying the rule written in the book. Its a lot easier than having to explain why you didn't do what it says in the book.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 06:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
A veteran ref who is both an assignor and NFHS rules interpretor once told my group "you can't go wrong if you enforce the rules as written".

There is a level of protection when we do what the book says to do. Yes, many of the fashion police rules are annoying. Yes, I would be lying if I said that I've never let something slide in a game. But if you do decide to let a player who is violating the uniform rule and the other coach complains to your board or there is an evaluator watching it may affect you down the road.

I have had several coaches (mostly at the behest of aggravated parents) complain when I have disallowed a leg sleeve or insisted players change mismatched under-shirts and have always been backed by my board because I was applying the rule written in the book. Its a lot easier than having to explain why you didn't do what it says in the book.
I have no problem enforcing the fashion rules. I'm just not going to go looking for things to enforce. The undershirt rule is pretty clear, with no room for interpretation.

This, however, is based on an interpretation of how the manufacturer intended the clothing to be worn. I'll follow the lead of my state, but I'm not going to go scuba diving on this one.

And your assigner/interpreter was wrong. Officials can get themselves into trouble by strictly interpreting a few of the rules. They may be backed by the rule and their board, on the surface, but they'll also be working JV in perpetuity.

Examples:
1. Coach is two inches outside the box.
2. 3 seconds.
3. 10 seconds on a FT.
4. throw-in plane violations

I could go on.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This, however, is based on an interpretation of how the manufacturer intended the clothing to be worn.
Even if I were to accept the premise that a rolled down waist band some how meets the "intended to be worn" clause of the rule, there is a very high probability that this would still violate the "shall have only 1visible logo" clause and therefore, unless the waistband had no logo on it (rare these days) it would be illegal to wear them that way. If I did accept this premise, then I guess to be consistent with how the manufacturer intended them to be worn I should have ALL of the players roll them down.

Now, am I lining the players up to inspect waistbands? No! Shoud I have a player unroll them if I notice it at some point in the game? Yes! That being said, I am apt to let it go if its not outrageous, offensive, or dangerous (such as the string being exposed).

Like you, I don't look for things to enforce. For instance, I have never actually measured a logo but if I ever saw one that was big enough to notice it was too large I would address it. And if I ever encounter a waistband that requires my attention I will address it as well.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

If the players have their shirt tail tucked in (mandated they must) and they have their shorts rolled over and they show all the UA logos ... as an official I am not looking for it ... they are showing me it. HUGE DIFFERENCE
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Being the fashion police is so dumb.....

If the VHSL wants to monitor it... let them monitor it and fine schools for players not conforming unless of making officials the bad guys and there are no repercussions other than ill-will.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
And your assigner/interpreter was wrong. Officials can get themselves into trouble by strictly interpreting a few of the rules. They may be backed by the rule and their board, on the surface, but they'll also be working JV in perpetuity.

Examples:
4. throw-in plane violations
I'm just curious where you're going with this one. Can you be more specific about what you're referring to?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I'm just curious where you're going with this one. Can you be more specific about what you're referring to?
I'm talking about the defender who barely breaks the plane, briefly, while waving his arms around. Most of the time, if it's a singular occurance that is immediately rectified (with or without a verbal warning from the administering official), we don't even think about the DOG warning.

The rule would back me if I did, but....