View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 06:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
A veteran ref who is both an assignor and NFHS rules interpretor once told my group "you can't go wrong if you enforce the rules as written".

There is a level of protection when we do what the book says to do. Yes, many of the fashion police rules are annoying. Yes, I would be lying if I said that I've never let something slide in a game. But if you do decide to let a player who is violating the uniform rule and the other coach complains to your board or there is an evaluator watching it may affect you down the road.

I have had several coaches (mostly at the behest of aggravated parents) complain when I have disallowed a leg sleeve or insisted players change mismatched under-shirts and have always been backed by my board because I was applying the rule written in the book. Its a lot easier than having to explain why you didn't do what it says in the book.
I have no problem enforcing the fashion rules. I'm just not going to go looking for things to enforce. The undershirt rule is pretty clear, with no room for interpretation.

This, however, is based on an interpretation of how the manufacturer intended the clothing to be worn. I'll follow the lead of my state, but I'm not going to go scuba diving on this one.

And your assigner/interpreter was wrong. Officials can get themselves into trouble by strictly interpreting a few of the rules. They may be backed by the rule and their board, on the surface, but they'll also be working JV in perpetuity.

Examples:
1. Coach is two inches outside the box.
2. 3 seconds.
3. 10 seconds on a FT.
4. throw-in plane violations

I could go on.