The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   More Fashion Police- (Rolling Waistband on Shorts) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99132-more-fashion-police-rolling-waistband-shorts.html)

VaTerp Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:16pm

More Fashion Police- (Rolling Waistband on Shorts)

Several years ago I noticed that girls teams were rolling the waistbands on their shorts sometimes exposing multiple logos in violation of the logo rules. I always left it alone as I did not want to be the guy telling HS girls how to wear their shorts.

More recently I've noticed more and more boys players doing the same thing. And even noticed the freshman PG on my alma mater doing this to his shorts in a college game last night. I posed this question to our interpreter the other week and he said to enforce the logo requirement but otherwise leave it alone.

Then this week the following came out from the head of officiating for the governing body overseeing HS athletics in VA:

Uniform requirements - Basketball

Staff has received a number of calls regarding basketball players who are “rolling” the waistband of their shorts, presumably because the shorts are “too long.” Doing so exposes multiple manufacturer’s logos or marks. It is also in violation of NFHS Basketball rule 3-5-5 which requires that equipment and apparel be worn as intended by the manufacturer. Players in violation of this uniform rule may not participate until they have complied with 3-5-5.

I'm curious if other states/areas have addressed this situation. I hate being the fashion police but am glad that the VHSL has taken an official position and we can enforce accordingly.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:19pm

Yes.

Generally allowed unless it's a safety issue (strings) or violates logo issues.

Adam Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:21pm

Unless my state tells me to deal with it, I'm not going to look for this.

VaTerp Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 951803)
Yes.

Generally allowed unless it's a safety issue (strings) or violates logo issues.

That's basically what our local interpreter said and I was good with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 951807)

I felt the same way. I had a game earlier this year where one of my partners had girls unroll their pants and delayed subs coming in to have them unroll. At halftime I said that we should just leave it alone. But now the state has ruled otherwise.

Adam Fri Jan 23, 2015 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 951810)
That's basically what our local interpreter said and I was good with that.

I felt the same way. I had a game earlier this year where one of my partners had girls unroll their pants and delayed subs coming in to have them unroll. At halftime I said that we should just leave it alone. But now the state has ruled otherwise.

Because someone, somewhere, took it upon himself to ask the teacher for homework.

maroonx Fri Jan 23, 2015 04:39pm

Our association just sent an email out to everyone citing rule 3-5-5 which requires the equipment and apparel be worn an intended by the manufacturer.

so cal lurker Fri Jan 23, 2015 05:24pm

For some reason this was never an issue back in the 80s . . . :D

SNIPERBBB Fri Jan 23, 2015 06:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroonx (Post 951871)
Our association just sent an email out to everyone citing rule 3-5-5 which requires the equipment and apparel be worn an intended by the manufacturer.

I would prefer to lean on this rule vs the logo rule if this was ever an issue.

Valley Man Fri Jan 23, 2015 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroonx (Post 951871)

Under Armour is not stupid. When you roll down the waistband it reads Under Armour all the way around over and over and over. "Intended by the manufacturer" is poor wording IMHO.

BillyMac Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:07pm

With Apologies To Theodor "Dr. Seuss" Geisel ...

Quote:

Agree. I'm not touching this with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole.

Rob1968 Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:41pm

Our interpreter/assignor has stated that we must not allow the logos to show. So, the players either roll the shorts inward, or they roll the shorts a second turn. Thus, one rule is met, by ignoring another - fashion poicing at its finest!?!

BillyMac Sat Jan 24, 2015 01:10pm

I Didn’t Know That Göring, And Himmler, Were Basketball Officials …

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 951937)
Our interpreter/assignor has stated that we must not allow the logos to show. So, the players either roll the shorts inward, or they roll the shorts a second turn. Thus, one rule is met, by ignoring another - fashion policing at its finest!?!

These are not Fashion Police rules, these are Fashion Gestapo rules.

Rich Sat Jan 24, 2015 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 951834)
Because someone, somewhere, took it upon himself to ask the teacher for homework.

Bingo.

Blindolbat Sat Jan 24, 2015 05:19pm

Quote:

You don't have to look very hard because when they do it then it is blatantly obvious. And your rule book tells you to deal with it.

Adam Sat Jan 24, 2015 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 951965)
You don't have to look very hard because when they do it then it is blatantly obvious. And your rule book tells you to deal with it.

No, it doesn't. Some interpret the book so that they have to deal with it, but I don't. If my state tells me to deal with it, I will. I'm not going to be the kid in the back of the class asking for homework over Christmas break, though.