The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
A is awarded an alternating-possession throw-in. Before the throw-in ends, B1 commits basket interference at A's basket.

This is no different from B kicking the ball before the end of the throw-in, right? A is awarded two points, keeps the arrow, and B will have a BCELTI.
No, this is the same as B1 catching the throw-in pass with a foot on a boundary line. The touch is legal and the player violates some other rule (out of bounds or BI), but not the prohibition on kicking or punching the ball with a closed fist.

Award two points and reverse the arrow as the throw-in ends with the touch that causes BI.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
There are other violations in the book that I don't agree with, but I will follow the rules as is the case with this scenario. For example, and another throw in situation, if the thrown ball lodges between the backboard and the rim, it's a violation. I've seen this a number of times and called it accordingly, even though I personally don't think it should be a violation, after all it's not like the kid did anything on purpose, or gave himself or his team an advantage. But the bottom line is this: Even when I do disagree with a rule or penalty, that DOES NOT prevent me from applying the rule as written. During a game, my opinion about how a rule is worded is completely irrelevant.
This actually makes perfect sense once you look at context. It just has nothing to do with whether the shooter did something "wrong." 90% of FTs are rebounded by the defense. This rule simply gives the ball to the defense (who was by far most likley to have it) instead of giving the shoooter who missed the shot a 50% chance of getting it back by going to the arrow.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
This actually makes perfect sense once you look at context. It just has nothing to do with whether the shooter did something "wrong." 90% of FTs are rebounded by the defense. This rule simply gives the ball to the defense (who was by far most likley to have it) instead of giving the shoooter who missed the shot a 50% chance of getting it back by going to the arrow.
I was actually referring to a throw in, not a free throw.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I was actually referring to a throw in, not a free throw.
I've never seen that happen on a TI, which is probably why I assumed you were writing about a FT. I guess I'm ambivalent about this one. (In the old days, I think it would have been a 5 second violation, as the rule used to require it to be touched in bounds within 5 seconds . . . .)
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 03:33pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No, this is the same as B1 catching the throw-in pass with a foot on a boundary line. The touch is legal and the player violates some other rule (out of bounds or BI), but not the prohibition on kicking or punching the ball with a closed fist.

Award two points and reverse the arrow as the throw-in ends with the touch that causes BI.
This is key. And I think this is what would likely get missed and screwed up if this were to happen.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 03:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I've never seen that happen on a TI, which is probably why I assumed you were writing about a FT. I guess I'm ambivalent about this one. (In the old days, I think it would have been a 5 second violation, as the rule used to require it to be touched in bounds within 5 seconds . . . .)
I don't think it's a problem. The thrower is required to throw it so that it touches a player on the court. If he throws it and it gets lodged in the rim, he has failed to meet that requirement just the same as if he threw it out of bounds.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 05:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pretend I'm From Missouri, Show Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Sounds good (especially the example of the out of bounds call, combined with your statement "The touch is legal and the player violates some other rule"). So the only illegal touches on a throwin are a kicked ball, and a punched ball? I believe you, but do you have a citation?

(We've had similar discussions on an illegal touch (catch) by one of the jumpers during a jump ball, and whether, or not, to reset the clock to zero if it started in error.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)