The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 03:48pm
In Time Out

throw-in/goaltending

Inbounds throw-in. The ball is passed toward the rim. It clearly is going to hit the rim or B, offensive player catches the pass above the cylinder and dunks it in. (I'd love to see that!

Would goaltending apply to this situation?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Inbounds throw-in. The ball is passed toward the rim ... offensive player catches the pass above the cylinder and dunks it in. Would goaltending apply to this situation?
Absolutely not. Not even close. There has to be a try for goaltending to occur, and a throwin isn't a try. It's offensive basket interference.

A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. This is an example of basket interference.

Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, and has the possibility of entering the basket.

(Old timers, like me, consider it not to be goaltending if the ball is in the cylinder above the basket, but that's not the way the present rule reads.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 11, 2015 at 04:08pm.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:03pm
AremRed

Quote:
Inbounds throw-in. The ball is passed toward the rim. It clearly is going to hit the rim or B, offensive player catches the pass above the cylinder and dunks it in. (I'd love to see that!

No. Goaltending only applies to a field-goal try or tap. A throw-in pass is neither.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Read the definition of goaltending. If it's not a try, there is no violation
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Check It Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
No. Goaltending only applies to a field-goal try or tap.
Free throw?

4-22: Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap
while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the
possibility of entering the basket in flight, or an opponent of the free thrower
touches the ball outside the cylinder during a free-throw attempt.

9-12: A player shall not commit goaltending, as in 4-22 ... See 10-3-9 for additional penalty for goaltending
during a free throw.

10-3-9: A player shall not: Goaltend during a free throw (technical foul).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 11, 2015 at 08:12pm.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:10pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Absolutely not. Not even close. There has to be a try for goaltending to occur, and a throwin isn't a try. It's offensive basket interference.

A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference.

Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, and has the possibility of entering the basket.
While I agree this is technically basket interference I suggest we use some common sense here.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:19pm
AremRed

Quote:
Free throw?

4-22: Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight, or an opponent of the free thrower touches the ball outside the cylinder during a free-throw attempt.
That's exactly what I wrote. As the free-throw definition does not specify it being different from a field-goal try, I consider it a field-goal try even if stats people do not. Thus, GT applies during FT's.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not A Try ...

Quote:
While I agree this is technically basket interference I suggest we use some common sense here.
Common sense tells me that it's basket interference.

Goaltending has a series of very strict parameters:
- during a try, or tap
- while it is in its downward flight
- entirely above the basket ring level
- has the possibility of entering the basket

Old timers would try to add "outside of the cylinder, but in 2015, they would be dead wrong.

Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Only The Lonely (Roy Orbison, 1960) ...

Quote:
That's exactly what I wrote. As the free-throw definition does not specify it being different from a field-goal try, I consider it a field-goal try even if stats people do not. Thus, GT applies during FT's.
Sorry, the word "only" and "field-goal try" through me.

Quote:
Goaltending only applies to a field-goal try or tap.
Quote:
... the free-throw definition does not specify it being different from a field-goal try.
But it is different. On a free throw, the ball can be anywhere outside of the cylinder, it can be on it's upward flight, it doesn't have to be entirely above the basket ring, and it doesn't have to have a chance to go in.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 11, 2015 at 08:13pm.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:22pm
AremRed

Quote:
Common sense tells me that it's basket interference.

Goaltending has a series of very strict parameters:
- during a try, or tap
- while it is in its downward flight
- entirely above the basket ring level
- has the possibility of entering the basket

Old timers would try to add "outside of the cylinder, but in 2015, they would be dead wrong.
Billy, you can stop posting the goaltending rule. My first post said it was not goaltending and none of my posts since then have contradicted that. I don't agree it's basket inference though, that's not the intent of the rule.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:25pm
Administrator

Quote:

This is NOT ever a Goaltending; there can NOT ever be Goaltending on a Throw-in.

This is Basket Interference.

Only the Basketball Interference Rule applies during a Throw-in. The Goaltending Rule does NOT apply during a Throw-in.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is an example of basket interference.
Casebook: 9.11.2:

Since it is a violation for thrower A1 to throw the ball directly ito the basket from out of bounds, what happens if B1 touches the throw-in pass while the ball is in the cylinder above A's basket? RULING: B1 is charged with basket interference and a two-point goal is scored. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the end lines as after a scored goal except the official shall place the ball at the disposal of a player of Team B for a throw-in from any point outside the end line.

Ok, fine, I admit it, I did not realize that BI does not specify a try, I would've messed this one up. That said, why in the hell do the rules allow this to happen???? Is this simply an oversight that has never been changed/addressed, or is there a purpose for this ruling?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Ok, fine, I admit it, I did not realize that BI does not specify a try, I would've messed this one up. That said, why in the hell do the rules allow this to happen???? Is this simply an oversight that has never been changed/addressed, or is there a purpose for this ruling?

This is a good example of: You penalize them for their ignorance.

Teach your kids the rules, coaches. They should know better than to commit basket interference any time. (there is nothing I admire more than seeing a player who obviously pulls his hand(s) back and waits for the ball to clear the cylinder before grabbing it) They really should know better than to do it in this case.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Casebook: 9.11.2:

Since it is a violation for thrower A1 to throw the ball directly ito the basket from out of bounds, what happens if B1 touches the throw-in pass while the ball is in the cylinder above A's basket? RULING: B1 is charged with basket interference and a two-point goal is scored. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the end lines as after a scored goal except the official shall place the ball at the disposal of a player of Team B for a throw-in from any point outside the end line.

After reading your other posts in other threads I get the feeling that you are a young official who does not have a good grasp of Rule 4 nor do you have grasp how different rules interact with each other.

I don't understand why you have a problem with the definitions of Throw-in, Field Goal Attempt, Baske Interference, and Goaltending and how these rules interact?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
After reading your other posts in other threads I get the feeling that you are a young official who does not have a good grasp of Rule 4 nor do you have grasp how different rules interact with each other.

I don't understand why you have a problem with the definitions of Throw-in, Field Goal Attempt, Baske Interference, and Goaltending and how these rules interact?

MTD, Sr.
I don't think that I do have a problem with those definitions, though I admit I've never considered BI as a possibility on a throw in. I misspoke for the sake of avoiding a drawn out explanation earlier when I said "I did not realize that BI does not specify a try..." because I do know its possible on, say, a skip-pass scenario. Again, I hadn't considered it on a throw in, and even though it's clearly a case play which I quoted earlier, I must've just not processed that one while reading the book.

My complaint is not that I won't call or apply the rules as written, but my question is why that definition is worded the way it is. It seems to go against my intuition that points can be scored in this manner, and to go back to my initial question, is there a purpose for this ruling?