The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   throw-in/goaltending (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99029-throw-goaltending.html)

mutantducky Sun Jan 11, 2015 03:48pm

throw-in/goaltending

Inbounds throw-in. The ball is passed toward the rim. It clearly is going to hit the rim or B, offensive player catches the pass above the cylinder and dunks it in. (I'd love to see that!:)

Would goaltending apply to this situation?

BillyMac Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:03pm

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 949726)
Inbounds throw-in. The ball is passed toward the rim ... offensive player catches the pass above the cylinder and dunks it in. Would goaltending apply to this situation?

Absolutely not. Not even close. There has to be a try for goaltending to occur, and a throwin isn't a try. It's offensive basket interference.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6230/6...473e048e_m.jpg

A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. This is an example of basket interference.

Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, and has the possibility of entering the basket.

(Old timers, like me, consider it not to be goaltending if the ball is in the cylinder above the basket, but that's not the way the present rule reads.)

AremRed Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:03pm

Quote:

Inbounds throw-in. The ball is passed toward the rim. It clearly is going to hit the rim or B, offensive player catches the pass above the cylinder and dunks it in. (I'd love to see that!:)

No. Goaltending only applies to a field-goal try or tap. A throw-in pass is neither.

frezer11 Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:04pm

Read the definition of goaltending. If it's not a try, there is no violation

BillyMac Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:10pm

Check It Out ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 949730)
No. Goaltending only applies to a field-goal try or tap.

Free throw?

4-22: Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap
while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the
possibility of entering the basket in flight, or an opponent of the free thrower
touches the ball outside the cylinder during a free-throw attempt.

9-12: A player shall not commit goaltending, as in 4-22 ... See 10-3-9 for additional penalty for goaltending
during a free throw.

10-3-9: A player shall not: Goaltend during a free throw (technical foul).

AremRed Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 949729)
Absolutely not. Not even close. There has to be a try for goaltending to occur, and a throwin isn't a try. It's offensive basket interference.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6230/6...473e048e_m.jpg

A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference.

Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, and has the possibility of entering the basket.

While I agree this is technically basket interference I suggest we use some common sense here.

AremRed Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 949732)
Free throw?

4-22: Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight, or an opponent of the free thrower touches the ball outside the cylinder during a free-throw attempt.

That's exactly what I wrote. As the free-throw definition does not specify it being different from a field-goal try, I consider it a field-goal try even if stats people do not. Thus, GT applies during FT's.

BillyMac Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:19pm

It's Not A Try ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 949733)
While I agree this is technically basket interference I suggest we use some common sense here.

Common sense tells me that it's basket interference.

Goaltending has a series of very strict parameters:
- during a try, or tap
- while it is in its downward flight
- entirely above the basket ring level
- has the possibility of entering the basket

Old timers would try to add "outside of the cylinder, but in 2015, they would be dead wrong.

BillyMac Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:21pm

Only The Lonely (Roy Orbison, 1960) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 949735)
That's exactly what I wrote. As the free-throw definition does not specify it being different from a field-goal try, I consider it a field-goal try even if stats people do not. Thus, GT applies during FT's.

Sorry, the word "only" and "field-goal try" through me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 949730)
Goaltending only applies to a field-goal try or tap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 949735)
... the free-throw definition does not specify it being different from a field-goal try.

But it is different. On a free throw, the ball can be anywhere outside of the cylinder, it can be on it's upward flight, it doesn't have to be entirely above the basket ring, and it doesn't have to have a chance to go in.

AremRed Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 949736)
Common sense tells me that it's basket interference.

Goaltending has a series of very strict parameters:
- during a try, or tap
- while it is in its downward flight
- entirely above the basket ring level
- has the possibility of entering the basket

Old timers would try to add "outside of the cylinder, but in 2015, they would be dead wrong.

Billy, you can stop posting the goaltending rule. My first post said it was not goaltending and none of my posts since then have contradicted that. I don't agree it's basket inference though, that's not the intent of the rule.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:25pm

Quote:

This is NOT ever a Goaltending; there can NOT ever be Goaltending on a Throw-in.

This is Basket Interference.

Only the Basketball Interference Rule applies during a Throw-in. The Goaltending Rule does NOT apply during a Throw-in.

MTD, Sr.

frezer11 Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 949729)
This is an example of basket interference.

Casebook: 9.11.2:

Since it is a violation for thrower A1 to throw the ball directly ito the basket from out of bounds, what happens if B1 touches the throw-in pass while the ball is in the cylinder above A's basket? RULING: B1 is charged with basket interference and a two-point goal is scored. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the end lines as after a scored goal except the official shall place the ball at the disposal of a player of Team B for a throw-in from any point outside the end line.

Ok, fine, I admit it, I did not realize that BI does not specify a try, I would've messed this one up. That said, why in the hell do the rules allow this to happen???? Is this simply an oversight that has never been changed/addressed, or is there a purpose for this ruling?

just another ref Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 949741)
Ok, fine, I admit it, I did not realize that BI does not specify a try, I would've messed this one up. That said, why in the hell do the rules allow this to happen???? Is this simply an oversight that has never been changed/addressed, or is there a purpose for this ruling?

This is a good example of: You penalize them for their ignorance.

Teach your kids the rules, coaches. They should know better than to commit basket interference any time. (there is nothing I admire more than seeing a player who obviously pulls his hand(s) back and waits for the ball to clear the cylinder before grabbing it) They really should know better than to do it in this case.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 949741)
Casebook: 9.11.2:

Since it is a violation for thrower A1 to throw the ball directly ito the basket from out of bounds, what happens if B1 touches the throw-in pass while the ball is in the cylinder above A's basket? RULING: B1 is charged with basket interference and a two-point goal is scored. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the end lines as after a scored goal except the official shall place the ball at the disposal of a player of Team B for a throw-in from any point outside the end line.

After reading your other posts in other threads I get the feeling that you are a young official who does not have a good grasp of Rule 4 nor do you have grasp how different rules interact with each other.

I don't understand why you have a problem with the definitions of Throw-in, Field Goal Attempt, Baske Interference, and Goaltending and how these rules interact?

MTD, Sr.

frezer11 Sun Jan 11, 2015 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 949746)
After reading your other posts in other threads I get the feeling that you are a young official who does not have a good grasp of Rule 4 nor do you have grasp how different rules interact with each other.

I don't understand why you have a problem with the definitions of Throw-in, Field Goal Attempt, Baske Interference, and Goaltending and how these rules interact?

MTD, Sr.

I don't think that I do have a problem with those definitions, though I admit I've never considered BI as a possibility on a throw in. I misspoke for the sake of avoiding a drawn out explanation earlier when I said "I did not realize that BI does not specify a try..." because I do know its possible on, say, a skip-pass scenario. Again, I hadn't considered it on a throw in, and even though it's clearly a case play which I quoted earlier, I must've just not processed that one while reading the book.

My complaint is not that I won't call or apply the rules as written, but my question is why that definition is worded the way it is. It seems to go against my intuition that points can be scored in this manner, and to go back to my initial question, is there a purpose for this ruling?