Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 08:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Carry Rule ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This case play, like this thread, had nothing to do with traveling.
From the caseplay wording, how does one determine if the carry described (remember, it's not a real rule violation) is actually an illegal dribble, or a travel?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 08:30pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Is this "carry violation" actually for an illegal dribble violation, or a travel violation? The casebook play doesn't differentiate. If it's a travel, you don't have to wait until the ball hits anything, the violation occurs right away.

I see a signal (carry/palming) in the rulebook, but I don't see a carry rule.
4-15-4b - Dribbling
"The dribbler palms/carries the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or both hands."

Since there is another definition (4-44) for traveling, I would say this violation falls under "illegal dribble"
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 08:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This case play, like this thread, had nothing to do with traveling.
This thread is about traveling because if you determined A1 to have started a dribble when dropping the ball, then by definition he lifted his pivot foot prior to releasing the ball for a dribble.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 10:53pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This thread is about traveling because if you determined A1 to have started a dribble when dropping the ball, then by definition he lifted his pivot foot prior to releasing the ball for a dribble.
You're right, of course. I should have said traveling is only a by-product on this thread.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

It should be a double dribble more than a travel. Travel if he didn't start & ended his 1st dribble prior.

Quote:
So, if a ball handler picks up his dribble, expecting a teammate to cut right, makes a bounce pass to the right, but the teammate cuts left instead of right, and the pass is bounced to nobody, under those conditions you can determine if it was a pass, or a dibble?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 01:34am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
It should be a double dribble more than a travel. Travel if he didn't start & ended his 1st dribble prior.
You want to explain what difference it makes?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You want to explain what difference it makes?
the outcome is the same however the ref has to signal the correct signal since traveling & double dribble has different hand sign.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 07:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Have I Been Misled ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Since there is another definition (4-44) for traveling, I would say this violation falls under "illegal dribble"
I was under the impression that if a stationary ball handler (no movement of feet, thus no pivot foot involved) carries the ball that it was actually an illegal (double) dribble violation, and if the ball handler carries the ball while in motion that it was probably a travel violation (called immediately, don't wait for the next dribble). Am I wrong?

Also, I have always wondered why we have a definition of carrying, and a signal, but we don't actually have a violation for carrying? Why didn't the NFHS just stick with a simple illegal (double) dribble, or a travel? In other words, could we officiate a game without a carry definition, and without a carry signal, and still interpret the act (carry) as illegal?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 21, 2015 at 07:37am.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 08:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
Whether A1 dribbled prior to jumping and dropping the ball is irrelevant to whether or not he committed a violation in this play.

We are discussing the philosophy of when the violation occurs, immediately or after A1 retouches the ball.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

I guess in my head I'm equating this to teams that run a lot of dribble hand offs. Imagine players constantly running at each other and then players taking off to dribble drive or bounce pass/hand off the ball. If A2 is running towards A1 and A1 releases the ball at the ground after lifting his back foot, I need to wait until either he touches it again or to see if A2 collects the dropped ball before I can determine if A1 traveled. If he's dribbling yes, if he's passing no.

So if a player jumps up and releases the ball I need to see what the next action is to consider whether or not its a dribble/pass/fumble/etc.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 10:23am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
I was under the impression that if a stationary ball handler (no movement of feet, thus no pivot foot involved) carries the ball that it was actually an illegal (double) dribble violation, and if the ball handler carries the ball while in motion that it was probably a travel violation (called immediately, don't wait for the next dribble). Am I wrong?

Also, I have always wondered why we have a definition of carrying, and a signal, but we don't actually have a violation for carrying? Why didn't the NFHS just stick with a simple illegal (double) dribble, or a travel? In other words, could we officiate a game without a carry definition, and without a carry signal, and still interpret the act (carry) as illegal?
I think the problem is having a "double dribble" and "carry" signal. Just one "illegal dribble" signal should suffice. I mean, a "double dribble" is not the same as a "carry", so having different signals makes sense. If you want to put them together under "illegal dribble", then I'd say there should be a different signal.

Or... you know... put the definition of "carry", along with including it under "violations", in the rule book.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think the problem is having a "double dribble" and "carry" signal. Just one "illegal dribble" signal should suffice. I mean, a "double dribble" is not the same as a "carry", so having different signals makes sense. If you want to put them together under "illegal dribble", then I'd say there should be a different signal.

Or... you know... put the definition of "carry", along with including it under "violations", in the rule book.
Or is it . . . the violation is that the carry terminated the dribble, and he then dribbled it a second time, right? Seems to me that while the "carry" signal may be technically unnecessary, it conveys useful information about the nature of the violation. (Of course, one could argue that all of the signals as to what the violation was aren't truly necessary as long as the referee signals that a violation occurred . . . they are just helpful to communicate.)
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 10:33am
We don't rent pigs

As I recall, the carrying signal was eliminated, then put back, in the late 80's or early 90's.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 10:34am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Or is it . . . the violation is that the carry terminated the dribble, and he then dribbled it a second time, right? Seems to me that while the "carry" signal may be technically unnecessary, it conveys useful information about the nature of the violation. (Of course, one could argue that all of the signals as to what the violation was aren't truly necessary as long as the referee signals that a violation occurred . . . they are just helpful to communicate.)
The problem comes when somebody, say a coach, wants a definition of a "carry" after you call it against his team. You don't have one, which leads you to get into the definition of ending a dribble, thus leading to the question of "why isn't it a double dribble violation, instead?"

That's not a likely scenario, and it's being nit-picky, but shouldn't a rule book be that technical? If you have a signal for a "carry", then why wouldn't you define a "carry"? Or why not just call it a "double dribble" or an "illegal dribble" (needing a new signal for that)?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I mean, a "double dribble" is not the same as a "carry", so having different signals makes sense. If you want to put them together under "illegal dribble", then I'd say there should be a different signal.
Actually, it is. All carries are "double" dribbles. Some might be travels too. In fact, the actual rule is "illegal dribble", so it is covered under that just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Or is it . . . the violation is that the carry terminated the dribble, and he then dribbled it a second time, right? Seems to me that while the "carry" signal may be technically unnecessary, it conveys useful information about the nature of the violation.
Exactly.

Quote:
As I recall, the carrying signal was eliminated, then put back, in the late 80's or early 90's.
Yes. It was added back, not to make something new illegal, but for communication purposes.