The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Over and back scenarios

Over and back or not?s

While bringing the ball up the court A1 has the ball in the front court, passes to A2 who is airborne and has not made contact yet with the front court floor?

Same scenario as above, but the ball does not leave the front court, but A2 has still not contacted the floor in the frontcourt prior to catching the pass?

3rd scenario, A1 passes to A2; however, this time airborne A2 is in physical contact with B1 who is in the front court?

My understanding is in the first 2 scenarios there would be a violation, because A2 has not established themselves in the frontcourt until actually touching the front court floor. However, in the 3rd scenario since A1 is touching B2 who is considered in the front court there is no violation.

Thoughts. I couldnt seem to find what I was looking for in the rules book.

Thanks
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 01:45pm
In Time Out

there are a lot of threads on backcourt if you do the advanced search you can find them. They are quite helpful.

I assume you mean the other player had jumped from the BC, after FC has been established so that would be a violation for the first.

Last edited by mutantducky; Sat Jan 03, 2015 at 01:49pm.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNE View Post
Over and back or not?s

While bringing the ball up the court A1 has the ball in the front court, passes to A2 who is airborne and has not made contact yet with the front court floor?

Same scenario as above, but the ball does not leave the front court, but A2 has still not contacted the floor in the frontcourt prior to catching the pass?

3rd scenario, A1 passes to A2; however, this time airborne A2 is in physical contact with B1 who is in the front court?

My understanding is in the first 2 scenarios there would be a violation, because A2 has not established themselves in the frontcourt until actually touching the front court floor. However, in the 3rd scenario since A1 is touching B2 who is considered in the front court there is no violation.

Thoughts. I couldnt seem to find what I was looking for in the rules book.

Thanks
Even the 3rd is a violation. Touching another player doesn't affect a player's status. Only the last point on the floor that they touched is relevant. A2 is in the backcourt, having last touched the court in the backcourt. Touching B2 doesn't matter.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 02:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Teachable Moment ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Touching another player doesn't affect a player's status.
Good time to remind young officials that if a ball handler touches a person (player, substitute, coach, trainer, cheerleader, police officer in the corner, etc.) out of bounds, the ball handler is not out of bounds.

(Note: The police officer's K-9 is probably not considered a person for the interpretation of this rule. And, yes, here in my little corner of Connecticut, we do have this situation in some of our state technical high schools.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 03, 2015 at 02:40pm.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Even the 3rd is a violation. Touching another player doesn't affect a player's status. Only the last point on the floor that they touched is relevant. A2 is in the backcourt, having last touched the court in the backcourt. Touching B2 doesn't matter.
I agree. 1st and 2nd cases are violations. 3rd case is, too, unless the touching you referred to resulted in a personal foul before the ball touched A2.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 03:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNE View Post
Over and back or not?s

Camron answered your questions, but I have one now.

How are these two scenarios different?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I think the difference he implied was where airborne A2 was with respect to the plane of the division line at the time he caught the pass from A1. In the first case, he was over the backcourt side, and in the second case he was over the frontcourt side.

This difference is, of course, irrelevant. The location of A2 is the same as when he was last in contact with the court, i.e. he is located in the backcourt in both cases. Therefore, backcourt violation in both cases.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good time to remind young officials that if a ball handler touches a person (player, substitute, coach, trainer, cheerleader, police officer in the corner, etc.) out of bounds, the ball handler is not out of bounds.

(Note: The police officer's K-9 is probably not considered a person for the interpretation of this rule. And, yes, here in my little corner of Connecticut, we do have this situation in some of our state technical high schools.)
Yet another ruling which was modified due to a screw up by Mary.
Do you remember the discussion when this was published?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 06:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yet another ruling which was modified due to a screw up by Mary.
Do you remember the discussion when this was published?
Was that an MS mistake that got fixed?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 09:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Personhood ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yet another ruling which was modified due to a screw up by Mary. Do you remember the discussion when this was published?
No I don't. Can you elaborate?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input everyone. A call in a highschool game I was watching last night had me a little confused on the third scenario.