The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Pelicans-Spurs last second tip in

Did anyone see the ending of regulation in this game? Lob to Duncan with 0.7 left. Lob is tipped in by defender, game goes to OT. Here's my question: the ball bounced around the rim for a bit before falling, such that the horn went off before the ball went through the hoop. Duncan never touched the ball. Seems to me the basket shouldn't have counted. A ball tipped in by a defender can obviously count for points, but it isn't technically a try, as it wasn't at their own teams basket. So shouldn't the basket be waved off? Thoughts?
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Did anyone see the ending of regulation in this game? Lob to Duncan with 0.7 left. Lob is tipped in by defender, game goes to OT. Here's my question: the ball bounced around the rim for a bit before falling, such that the horn went off before the ball went through the hoop. Duncan never touched the ball. Seems to me the basket shouldn't have counted. A ball tipped in by a defender can obviously count for points, but it isn't technically a try, as it wasn't at their own teams basket. So shouldn't the basket be waved off? Thoughts?
No goal is correct for NFHS and NCAA rules. I don't know much about the NBA rules. I've never bothered to read them.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 03:34am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Asik tipped it up, Timmy tipped it forward. NBA replay center and official NBA play-by-play credit Duncan with the field goal.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 03:36am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No goal is correct for NFHS and NCAA rules. I don't know much about the NBA rules. I've never bothered to read them.
NBA rule is same as other sets.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Under NBA rules it doesn't matter who tips it in...the only thing that would be reviewed would be whether that tip (either from A1 or B1) happened before the expiration of time.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 06:55am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
NBA rule is same as other sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Under NBA rules it doesn't matter who tips it in...the only thing that would be reviewed would be whether that tip (either from A1 or B1) happened before the expiration of time.
These two statements are contradictions. Who is right?
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Asik tipped it up, Timmy tipped it forward. NBA replay center and official NBA play-by-play credit Duncan with the field goal.
You sure Duncan touched it at all? I only saw the replay once or twice, but it looked like he missed entirely. After the game when the reporters asked about it, he seemed to indicate that he knew he didn't touch it
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 11:03am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
APG. It is a violation for a defender to attempt a field goal at an opponents basket so if Asik grabbed the ball and intentionally went up for a layup/dunk then the Spurs would get the ball, sideline at FTLE (NBA rule book page 21). However, "A field goal accidentally scored in an opponent’s basket shall be added to the opponent’s score, credited to the opposing player nearest the player whose actions caused the ball to enter the basket" (page 21), which makes this play legal. In the case of an accidental tip all that is required is to make sure the tip happened before the expiration of time (NBA case play 158).
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 11:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
APG always has NBA rules down cold.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

This is a great discussion and I love the learning aspects of it, especially with respect to the NBA rules interpretations.

Perhaps more importantly for the 99.9% of us who don't use NBA rules in our games, the OP brought up a great point of how this would be handled in our games. It wouldn't be a try, but if the ball passes through the net before the expiration of playing time, 2 points are awarded.

You're thinking what I'm thinking, right? If in the FL/FSU game the other day, time had expired before the ball cleared the net, FL would have been off the hook. Unfortunately for FL, the ball cleared with 0.4 remaining.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Video Added

Here's the NO/SA play...

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ye of little faith
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 05:46pm
In Time Out

different question...and a 1 in 999,342 chance

Player gets confused and shoots on wrong basket. Say a lay-up, ball is rolling around, on top of the rim and horn goes off. Then it rolls in. Would you count this basket? I'll say no but not sure.

I support the NBA rule on tip plays, rebounds like that. But for a non-tip like the one I suggested maybe there could be a different rule.

Last edited by mutantducky; Thu Jan 01, 2015 at 05:48pm.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 06:19pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
different question...and a 1 in 999,342 chance

Player gets confused and shoots on wrong basket. Say a lay-up, ball is rolling around, on top of the rim and horn goes off. Then it rolls in. Would you count this basket? I'll say no but not sure.

I support the NBA rule on tip plays, rebounds like that. But for a non-tip like the one I suggested maybe there could be a different rule.
Uh, there is. I posted the NBA rule, it's a violation to shoot at the opponents basket. The violation occurs upon the release of the field goal, ball is given to the opponents at the sideline FTLE.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 06:22pm
In Time Out

sorry for NFHS