The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pelicans-Spurs last second tip in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98946-pelicans-spurs-last-second-tip.html)

frezer11 Thu Jan 01, 2015 01:30am

Pelicans-Spurs last second tip in

Did anyone see the ending of regulation in this game? Lob to Duncan with 0.7 left. Lob is tipped in by defender, game goes to OT. Here's my question: the ball bounced around the rim for a bit before falling, such that the horn went off before the ball went through the hoop. Duncan never touched the ball. Seems to me the basket shouldn't have counted. A ball tipped in by a defender can obviously count for points, but it isn't technically a try, as it wasn't at their own teams basket. So shouldn't the basket be waved off? Thoughts?

Nevadaref Thu Jan 01, 2015 02:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 948306)
Did anyone see the ending of regulation in this game? Lob to Duncan with 0.7 left. Lob is tipped in by defender, game goes to OT. Here's my question: the ball bounced around the rim for a bit before falling, such that the horn went off before the ball went through the hoop. Duncan never touched the ball. Seems to me the basket shouldn't have counted. A ball tipped in by a defender can obviously count for points, but it isn't technically a try, as it wasn't at their own teams basket. So shouldn't the basket be waved off? Thoughts?

No goal is correct for NFHS and NCAA rules. I don't know much about the NBA rules. I've never bothered to read them.

AremRed Thu Jan 01, 2015 03:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 948306)

Asik tipped it up, Timmy tipped it forward. NBA replay center and official NBA play-by-play credit Duncan with the field goal.

AremRed Thu Jan 01, 2015 03:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 948308)
No goal is correct for NFHS and NCAA rules. I don't know much about the NBA rules. I've never bothered to read them.

NBA rule is same as other sets.

APG Thu Jan 01, 2015 05:45am

Under NBA rules it doesn't matter who tips it in...the only thing that would be reviewed would be whether that tip (either from A1 or B1) happened before the expiration of time.

Sharpshooternes Thu Jan 01, 2015 06:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 948311)
NBA rule is same as other sets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 948312)
Under NBA rules it doesn't matter who tips it in...the only thing that would be reviewed would be whether that tip (either from A1 or B1) happened before the expiration of time.

These two statements are contradictions. Who is right?

frezer11 Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 948310)
Asik tipped it up, Timmy tipped it forward. NBA replay center and official NBA play-by-play credit Duncan with the field goal.

You sure Duncan touched it at all? I only saw the replay once or twice, but it looked like he missed entirely. After the game when the reporters asked about it, he seemed to indicate that he knew he didn't touch it

AremRed Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 948314)

APG. It is a violation for a defender to attempt a field goal at an opponents basket so if Asik grabbed the ball and intentionally went up for a layup/dunk then the Spurs would get the ball, sideline at FTLE (NBA rule book page 21). However, "A field goal accidentally scored in an opponent’s basket shall be added to the opponent’s score, credited to the opposing player nearest the player whose actions caused the ball to enter the basket" (page 21), which makes this play legal. In the case of an accidental tip all that is required is to make sure the tip happened before the expiration of time (NBA case play 158).

Raymond Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:05am

Quote:

APG always has NBA rules down cold.

crosscountry55 Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:16pm

This is a great discussion and I love the learning aspects of it, especially with respect to the NBA rules interpretations.

Perhaps more importantly for the 99.9% of us who don't use NBA rules in our games, the OP brought up a great point of how this would be handled in our games. It wouldn't be a try, but if the ball passes through the net before the expiration of playing time, 2 points are awarded.

You're thinking what I'm thinking, right? If in the FL/FSU game the other day, time had expired before the ball cleared the net, FL would have been off the hook. Unfortunately for FL, the ball cleared with 0.4 remaining.

JetMetFan Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:52pm

Video Added

Here's the NO/SA play...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lIFm0cUXPEE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

APG Thu Jan 01, 2015 02:02pm

Quote:

Ye of little faith ;)

mutantducky Thu Jan 01, 2015 05:46pm

different question...and a 1 in 999,342 chance:rolleyes:

Player gets confused and shoots on wrong basket. Say a lay-up, ball is rolling around, on top of the rim and horn goes off. Then it rolls in. Would you count this basket? I'll say no but not sure.

I support the NBA rule on tip plays, rebounds like that. But for a non-tip like the one I suggested maybe there could be a different rule.

AremRed Thu Jan 01, 2015 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 948363)
different question...and a 1 in 999,342 chance:rolleyes:

Player gets confused and shoots on wrong basket. Say a lay-up, ball is rolling around, on top of the rim and horn goes off. Then it rolls in. Would you count this basket? I'll say no but not sure.

I support the NBA rule on tip plays, rebounds like that. But for a non-tip like the one I suggested maybe there could be a different rule.

Uh, there is. I posted the NBA rule, it's a violation to shoot at the opponents basket. The violation occurs upon the release of the field goal, ball is given to the opponents at the sideline FTLE.

mutantducky Thu Jan 01, 2015 06:22pm

sorry for NFHS