The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Number 3 on the ESPN countdown, and clearly over the backboard. Is that shot legal in the NBA? Or did they just miss one?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I saw that one. The ball definitely came from behind the board. Apparently, it counted - and I doubt that an NBA caliber official would kick that rule.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 12:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
I saw that one. The ball definitely came from behind the board. Apparently, it counted - and I doubt that an NBA caliber official would kick that rule.
...Or three of them for that matter.
mick
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

One of the shows I saw this morning showed a Larry Bird clip of a simialr shot in a preseason game (but it was more directly over the top), and they commented that it didn't o****. So did they change the rule, or does it have to be directly over the top not to count?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
One of the shows I saw this morning showed a Larry Bird clip of a simialr shot in a preseason game (but it was more directly over the top), and they commented that it didn't o****. So did they change the rule, or does it have to be directly over the top not to count?
from the NBA rules online:

Any ball that rebounds or passes directly behind the backboard, in either direction, from any point is considered out-of-bounds.

--Rich
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Any ball that rebounds or passes directly behind the backboard, in either direction, from any point is considered out-of-bounds.
The key here is the word "directly". I think the interpretation (I don't have my Q & A handy) is that the ball must pass squarely over the backboard, so that most officials will only call it if the ball goes right over the middle of the backboard. If it just passes over a corner of the board, as was the case on the shot in question, most officials will let it go, I believe.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Chuck, this is Bennie. I'm interested in going to officiating camp this summer. Can you help me out on where and when camps are in sesion? Also, where to sign-up? Thanks.