Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 08:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
sorry for NFHS

Player gets confused and shoots on wrong basket. Say a lay-up, ball is rolling around, on top of the rim and horn goes off. Then it rolls in. Would you count this basket? I'll say no but not sure.
Rule is clear. A goal is only scored when a live ball passes through the basket.
When the horn goes, the ball is dead with some exceptions. Primarily, the exceptions involve a try, which is defined as an attempt at one's own basket. Since this is not an attempt at one's own basket, the exceptions do not apply, thus no basket in your scenario.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
sorry for NFHS

Player gets confused and shoots on wrong basket. Say a lay-up, ball is rolling around, on top of the rim and horn goes off. Then it rolls in. Would you count this basket? I'll say no but not sure.
No basket. Not a try, simply a live ball rolling around on a basket. So the quarter or extra period ends when time expires. In your example, the ball that falls through is dead. Simple as that.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 09:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

I see Duncan touching the ball. I would consider this a try and count the basket.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 11:08pm
beware big brother

Quote:
different question...and a 1 in 999,342 chance

I support the NBA rule on tip plays, rebounds like that. But for a non-tip like the one I suggested maybe there could be a different rule.

Some of your recent posts make me wonder if you have ever read any basketball rules or case book!
Old Fri Jan 02, 2015, 01:17am
In Time Out

so that one was obvious? I bet most refs wouldn't know the answer to that and many would assume that the basket should be counted. I had someone shoot the wrong way in a game and my partner got it wrong when there was a foul during the shot. Thought the basket should have counted despite the foul occurring before it went in.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2015, 01:36am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
so that one was obvious? I bet most refs wouldn't know the answer to that and many would assume that the basket should be counted. I had someone shoot the wrong way in a game and my partner got it wrong when there was a foul during the shot. Thought the basket should have counted despite the foul occurring before it went in.
You knew the answer to that but didn't know that the same concept applies at the end of a quarter?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 02, 2015, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
so that one was obvious?
Yes. (since you asked)

And, I would say that most officials, in their second year or later, who work primarily at the HS level or higher, would know the rules regarding this.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2015, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I see Duncan touching the ball. I would consider this a try and count the basket.

Peace
My son was at this game. He said from the replay on the big screen that it also looked to him that Duncan touched the ball.

He also said that the first three quarters weren't much of a game for either team.......