The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Maryland/Michigan State crazy finish (Video)

Tough foul call at 2:07 in OT. Following the call, there was a delay as the official scorer had the Maryland player with five fouls, but everyone else had four. Crew stuck with the official scorer.

Technical foul on Mark Turgeon at 1:55 in OT after he went ballistic after a no-call foul or goaltend (?). It did not look like goaltending on replay.

Also in this game, there were three monitor reviews looking at two or three-point goals in question. Monitor reviews are out of control in college basketball.

Last edited by bballref3966; Tue Dec 30, 2014 at 08:01pm.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Potential hanging on rim by Maryland just under three minutes in the second OT.

Dickie V was adamant that it should've been a T. I'm not so sure.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure how it works in college, but this is exactly why the scorers should sit close enough to each other where they can easily check their records every time a foul is called.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 08:59pm
In Time Out

I hate Monitor reviews when they take so long or especially on out of bounds plays. I don't want to see it over and over again! Just move on right away rather then these 2min+breaks.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post

Saw it on highlights. Completely agree: not a T, good no-call. The player hung a little, but he was turning around in the process to confirm no one was in his landing spot, and he didn't do a chin-up or any other garbage like that. Not sure what Dickie V saw there.

If you gave a marginal call like that to the home team while down three late in 2OT, you probably wouldn't deserve to be working that game.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 11:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mr. Irrelevant ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
If you gave a marginal call like that to the home team while down three late in 2OT, you probably wouldn't deserve to be working that game.
There are several words in this statement that are totally irrelevant to me as an official. I'm always thinking about whether a marginal play should be whistled, or not. I never think about any of the words highlighted in red. One word, in particular, stands out. I absolutely, positively, never consider whether a team is the home team, or is a team on the road, in making any of my calls. It's just not the way that I roll.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 30, 2014 at 11:25pm.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 11:34pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There are several words in this statement that are totally irrelevant to me as an official. I'm always thinking about whether a marginal play should be whistled, or not. I never think about any of the words highlighted in red. It's just not the way that I roll.
Eh, the only irrelevant part is the "home team" thing. Sometimes managing a game is like a mental calculus -- being consistent with your earlier calls, not blowing marginal stuff in close games, refereeing the PoE's, etc. I'm sure guys who work that level are thinking about that stuff.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2014, 12:08am
AremRed

Quote:
Tough foul call at 2:07 in OT. Following the call, there was a delay as the official scorer had the Maryland player with five fouls, but everyone else had four. Crew stuck with the official scorer.

Technical foul on Mark Turgeon at 1:55 in OT after he went ballistic after a no-call foul or goaltend (?). It did not look like goaltending on replay.

Also in this game, there were three monitor reviews looking at two or three-point goals in question. Monitor reviews are out of control in college basketball.
I think the foul at 2:07 in the 2nd overtime was marginal. The calling official did have a late whistle which looked bad.

Not goaltending. Good tech.

Quote:

Not a T, player didn't know if there was a defender behind him.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2014, 12:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Anticipation (Carly Simon, 1971) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Sometimes managing a game is like a mental calculus.
Knowing who's up, or who's down, and by how much, helps me anticipate the plays (fouls to stop clock, three point shot needed, time out to stop clock, foul to give, etc.), not the calls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 31, 2014, 01:02am
C'mon man!!

I know its the holidays and am appreciative of the video gurus, but do you think we can see the plays?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2014, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I'm not sure how it works in college, but this is exactly why the scorers should sit close enough to each other where they can easily check their records every time a foul is called.
In college there's only one book. The NCAA version has spaces to record the times of every foul and basket, which would come in handy in this case.

I don't know if the officials would be allowed to check here, but there will also be someone at the table entering the play-by-play into the program that produces the official statistics.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2014, 12:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Saw it on highlights. Completely agree: not a T, good no-call. The player hung a little, but he was turning around in the process to confirm no one was in his landing spot, and he didn't do a chin-up or any other garbage like that. Not sure what Dickie V saw there.

To either team.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2014, 08:54pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
In college there's only one book. The NCAA version has spaces to record the times of every foul and basket, which would come in handy in this case.
Some scorers don't always fill in the time or the number of the player in those boxes, though. I always tried to do so when we were on the road and I was the unofficial scorer.

Quote:
I don't know if the officials would be allowed to check here, but there will also be someone at the table entering the play-by-play into the program that produces the official statistics.

When I was still a statistician, there were a couple of times where I offered the current time listed in my statistics software when the time was incorrect or the scoreboard reset itself. if I recall, the officials conferred with each other before going ahead with using that time, but I believe it can be used as definite knowledge, provided the software's clock is updated in real time.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Thu Jan 01, 2015 at 03:07pm.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Yes, we can. I've done it on inadvertent shot-clock resets more than a few times. One of my supervisors advises us to use every method available - within the rules - to get a play/call/rule right.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

One of those reviews involved one of the officials coming across the court to ask the ESPN guys if they had any other views available. The whole encounter was on-air.