The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Maryland/Michigan State crazy finish (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98939-maryland-michigan-state-crazy-finish-video.html)

bballref3966 Tue Dec 30, 2014 07:31pm

Maryland/Michigan State crazy finish (Video)

Tough foul call at 2:07 in OT. Following the call, there was a delay as the official scorer had the Maryland player with five fouls, but everyone else had four. Crew stuck with the official scorer.

Technical foul on Mark Turgeon at 1:55 in OT after he went ballistic after a no-call foul or goaltend (?). It did not look like goaltending on replay.

Also in this game, there were three monitor reviews looking at two or three-point goals in question. Monitor reviews are out of control in college basketball.

bballref3966 Tue Dec 30, 2014 07:40pm

Potential hanging on rim by Maryland just under three minutes in the second OT.

Dickie V was adamant that it should've been a T. I'm not so sure.

SC Official Tue Dec 30, 2014 08:29pm

I'm not sure how it works in college, but this is exactly why the scorers should sit close enough to each other where they can easily check their records every time a foul is called.

mutantducky Tue Dec 30, 2014 08:59pm

I hate Monitor reviews when they take so long or especially on out of bounds plays. I don't want to see it over and over again! Just move on right away rather then these 2min+breaks.

crosscountry55 Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 948225)

Saw it on highlights. Completely agree: not a T, good no-call. The player hung a little, but he was turning around in the process to confirm no one was in his landing spot, and he didn't do a chin-up or any other garbage like that. Not sure what Dickie V saw there.

If you gave a marginal call like that to the home team while down three late in 2OT, you probably wouldn't deserve to be working that game.

BillyMac Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:18pm

Mr. Irrelevant ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 948235)
If you gave a marginal call like that to the home team while down three late in 2OT, you probably wouldn't deserve to be working that game.

There are several words in this statement that are totally irrelevant to me as an official. I'm always thinking about whether a marginal play should be whistled, or not. I never think about any of the words highlighted in red. One word, in particular, stands out. I absolutely, positively, never consider whether a team is the home team, or is a team on the road, in making any of my calls. It's just not the way that I roll.

AremRed Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 948237)
There are several words in this statement that are totally irrelevant to me as an official. I'm always thinking about whether a marginal play should be whistled, or not. I never think about any of the words highlighted in red. It's just not the way that I roll.

Eh, the only irrelevant part is the "home team" thing. Sometimes managing a game is like a mental calculus -- being consistent with your earlier calls, not blowing marginal stuff in close games, refereeing the PoE's, etc. I'm sure guys who work that level are thinking about that stuff.

AremRed Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 948224)
Tough foul call at 2:07 in OT. Following the call, there was a delay as the official scorer had the Maryland player with five fouls, but everyone else had four. Crew stuck with the official scorer.

Technical foul on Mark Turgeon at 1:55 in OT after he went ballistic after a no-call foul or goaltend (?). It did not look like goaltending on replay.

Also in this game, there were three monitor reviews looking at two or three-point goals in question. Monitor reviews are out of control in college basketball.

I think the foul at 2:07 in the 2nd overtime was marginal. The calling official did have a late whistle which looked bad.

Not goaltending. Good tech.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 948225)

Not a T, player didn't know if there was a defender behind him.

BillyMac Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:25am

Anticipation (Carly Simon, 1971) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 948238)
Sometimes managing a game is like a mental calculus.

Knowing who's up, or who's down, and by how much, helps me anticipate the plays (fouls to stop clock, three point shot needed, time out to stop clock, foul to give, etc.), not the calls.

Sharpshooternes Wed Dec 31, 2014 01:02am

I know its the holidays and am appreciative of the video gurus, but do you think we can see the plays?

SethPDX Wed Dec 31, 2014 02:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 948231)
I'm not sure how it works in college, but this is exactly why the scorers should sit close enough to each other where they can easily check their records every time a foul is called.

In college there's only one book. The NCAA version has spaces to record the times of every foul and basket, which would come in handy in this case.

I don't know if the officials would be allowed to check here, but there will also be someone at the table entering the play-by-play into the program that produces the official statistics.

Adam Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 948235)
Saw it on highlights. Completely agree: not a T, good no-call. The player hung a little, but he was turning around in the process to confirm no one was in his landing spot, and he didn't do a chin-up or any other garbage like that. Not sure what Dickie V saw there.

To either team.

Stat-Man Wed Dec 31, 2014 08:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 948248)
In college there's only one book. The NCAA version has spaces to record the times of every foul and basket, which would come in handy in this case.

Some scorers don't always fill in the time or the number of the player in those boxes, though. I always tried to do so when we were on the road and I was the unofficial scorer.

Quote:

I don't know if the officials would be allowed to check here, but there will also be someone at the table entering the play-by-play into the program that produces the official statistics.

When I was still a statistician, there were a couple of times where I offered the current time listed in my statistics software when the time was incorrect or the scoreboard reset itself. if I recall, the officials conferred with each other before going ahead with using that time, but I believe it can be used as definite knowledge, provided the software's clock is updated in real time.

JetMetFan Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 948248)

Yes, we can. I've done it on inadvertent shot-clock resets more than a few times. One of my supervisors advises us to use every method available - within the rules - to get a play/call/rule right.

SAJ Thu Jan 01, 2015 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 948224)

One of those reviews involved one of the officials coming across the court to ask the ESPN guys if they had any other views available. The whole encounter was on-air.