The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 12:22am
In Time Out

foul signal question

kind of a simple question, but what signal would you use. A player drives and the defender uses his body, kind of bellies the offensive player so a foul is called. Do you signal push or block? No hands involved by the defender.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 12:25am
Back from the DL

Blocking foul. You can get away with a push here, too, but it sounds like a block.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 12:27am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
kind of a simple question, but what signal would you use. A player drives and the defender uses his body, kind of bellies the offensive player so a foul is called. Do you signal push or block? No hands involved by the defender.
I know a referee who is super anal about using the "push" signal for a body foul, insisting you cannot use the push signal unless the player actually uses his hands/arms to push the opponent. He uses the blocking signal for anything involving the body. I prefer to use the college-style "chuck" signal, but for those by-the-book high school games I use the two-handed push signal and verbalize "body!" YMMV.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 12:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The push signal also applies to "charge." That works here.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

College style

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I know a referee who is super anal about using the "push" signal for a body foul, insisting you cannot use the push signal unless the player actually uses his hands/arms to push the opponent. He uses the blocking signal for anything involving the body. I prefer to use the college-style "chuck" signal, but for those by-the-book high school games I use the two-handed push signal and verbalize "body!" YMMV.
Just a heads up, that college-style "chuck" signal isn't an approved signal in the CCA book either.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 09:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

The one thing that amazes me is that the new rules received a lot of press this year and it was a great opportunity to put a few new signals in the book to emphasize them.

The extended forearm could've been given as....an extended forearm.

Two hands could've been given as....two hands.

Just a big whiff, if you ask me....which nobody has.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 10:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The one thing that amazes me is that the new rules received a lot of press this year and it was a great opportunity to put a few new signals in the book to emphasize them.

The extended forearm could've been given as....an extended forearm.

Two hands could've been given as....two hands.

Just a big whiff, if you ask me....which nobody has.
Opportunities are missed every year.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

instropective on our mechanics

Now this is an interesting thread as it offers us the chance to examine the origin of the "mechanics".

Like how does the mechanic for "traveling" come to resemble me doing a dancing motion like john travolata on sat nite fever--what with me twirling my hands to indicate a "travel". I'm almost tempted to point one finger up towards the sky after doing the hand twirl to complete my dance move.

Like how does the mechanic for "charge/pc" come to resemble me punching the air with my other hand behind head? what does this have to do with one player charging into another?

And finally, as Adam cited in the above post, the NF has a great opportunity to either clarify, modify, sharpen, or add mechanics each year with would help the profession--why they don't do it--who knows? but it causes us refs to use "marginally relevant" mechanics to indicate violations that are not really symbolized by the said mechanic.

What is the form and function origin of our mechanics?

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Tue Dec 23, 2014 at 10:27am.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 12:32pm
In Time Out

should we come up with our own mythology?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Ncaa vs fed

'Arm bar' is an NCAA-approved signal. So are tripping and hit to head. My guess is these will someday trickle down to NFHS. Too bad the idea of simply pointing on OOB and counting/chopping time in with the same hand haven't made it yet
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 07:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Now this is an interesting thread as it offers us the chance to examine the origin of the "mechanics".

Like how does the mechanic for "traveling" come to resemble me doing a dancing motion like john travolata on sat nite fever--what with me twirling my hands to indicate a "travel". I'm almost tempted to point one finger up towards the sky after doing the hand twirl to complete my dance move.

Like how does the mechanic for "charge/pc" come to resemble me punching the air with my other hand behind head? what does this have to do with one player charging into another?

And finally, as Adam cited in the above post, the NF has a great opportunity to either clarify, modify, sharpen, or add mechanics each year with would help the profession--why they don't do it--who knows? but it causes us refs to use "marginally relevant" mechanics to indicate violations that are not really symbolized by the said mechanic.

What is the form and function origin of our mechanics?
Honestly, until they can get some basic rules correct, I'm not all that concerned with mechanics. Anything unusual enough to not fit into the mechanics will be obvious to most, and can be explained if it's not.