The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Question for Linesmen and Referees:

Linesmen - when you have a foul, do you signal your foul in to the referee when he looks your way, or do you run it in?

Referees - do you prefer your linesmen signal their fouls to you, or run them in?

Had a referee (not an extremely experienced guy, but one who seems to know what he's doing) jump on me for signaling a foul on defense at the snap. So I watched for this on both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday, it appeared 4 of 6 crews had their linesmen signaling the foul in most of the time. On Sunday, 2 of 5 were.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

In High School games, I prefer that my lines don't signal, bring them in...In college I think it is a conference by conference thing...
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

As the R, I ask my wing officials to NOT give any signal. They are to come in part way and tell me a color. No pointing, no other gestures.

My reason is that I do not want to set up controversy should one wing have one team jumping first and the other wing is signaling something different.

Some officials try to get "cute" by throwing the flag one way or the other, to show the penalty on the offense or defense. That's lazy to me. What if one wing had it on the defense and thought all was OK, only to see the distance get walked off the other way? Now he has a problem of having to come in an try to "overrule".

Good old fashioned talking works every time. If L and LJ tell me different colors, I have them continue into the middle of the field to discuss.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

No Signal

Just as rdfox said; it may create a hostile environment for the crew. The offended coach will only see the LJ who signaled against the other team.

And now you want to penalize me? Let me tell you one thing Mr. White Hat, yada, yada, yada...

Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Here is my rule.

Don't ever signal.

If you have a spot foul, stay at the spot and I will come to you.

Otherwise, you come to me.

High school coaches what to know everything and we don't have microphones. My preliminary is given toward the pressbox and my umpire. The umpire is responsible for making sure it gets communicated to the sidelines.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:22am
VaASAump

I'm guessing that your question is directed at snap infraction fouls (illegal procedure, off sides, etc).

As a linesman on my crew, I run in with the penalty vs signaling. I do this, even if I throw the flag on the side of the offending team. Not only am I ensuring that both me and linesjudge have the same penalty (if he also threw a flag), but then I can give the referee the number of the offender. This way, the linesjudge can tell the coach on his side who the offender was (if penalty was against him). But I do not signal from the sideline.

For spot fouls, another official will cover my flag while I go in and report my penalty to WH.

Serg

[Edited by VaASAump on Sep 13th, 2004 at 12:26 PM]
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Patsfan2431
RDFOX:

Although i agree that giving penalty and offender to the WH verbally and in the middle of the field is better, i disagree that throwing the flag to the side of the offender is "lazy". On my crews, we throw the flags in a manner that each official on the field knows which team is the offender on the play (in the officials view). The technique is not usually picked up by any coaches because its suttle and the flag is not thrown in any direction. Just dropped on a side. At that time, the WH, and all other officials know who feels what. If there is a discrepancy, all officials know it and and the linesman will speak with the WH about it. If all the same, we come together to agree on a number.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jrfath
I agree with Patsfan...a wing throwing the flag on either side of the LOS to indicate which team he/she sees the foul on is not cute or lazy. It is an effective method of crew communication. I believe the wing should still report it to the referee in the middle of the field.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 12:43pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I disagree with tossing the flag to the side of the offending team. What if you have movement on the line and end up having a pow-wow with WH and the other wing to determine if it was encroachment or false start?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

We tried the flag thing without success. The problem is that we can't be sure that the other wing remembered to throw it in the right direction. Thus, we now do the following on snap infractions. After the whistle-flag both wings subtley place a hand on the thigh of the side of the offending team. If they are both the same, then the WH will proceed. Any disagreement and we get together. Comments?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm the R, I can't tell from my angle what side of the NZ the flag is on unless he really heaved it to one side or the other. Better to just come in and tell me.

If I'm on the wing, I usually point with my hand held against my stomach which side I had across first. Not so much for the R but for the other wing if we both threw on a play where both teams were into the NZ fairly closely. Coaches can't see and the players rarely pick up on it.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Patsfan2431
Ref Ump Welsch:

A pow wow in the middle is fine. All that we are doing is recording our opinion on the foul. Once we meet in the middle and in the case the linesman have a difference of opinion, we know this right off the bat and discuss what each of us saw and approx when (to allow for us to penalize the correct team). Again, we are not haphazardly throwing a flag in one teams direction. Just a toss in either direction that, from someone other than an officials view, doesn't mean a thing.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

We do the conference and include the U because he seas Infractions as well
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

What happens if the U throws the flag and blows it dead while the LJ and HL don't call anything???? Had that happen before, kind of an "awkard" situation. (I was HL)

Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

An Unpire can see line twitches easier than the wings so it does not bother me as the WH.

I dont like my wings giving signals on wide guys in case they give the wrong signal.

For example they give the procedure signal when in reality it was illegal motion or vice versa. You get a coach who knows what is going on then you have to explain dead ball vs live ball and why the play was called dead or kept alive.

Just come in and tell me or I will run to you and we will get it right the first time.