The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Officials clear FT lane incorrectly

Boys Varsity...3 Whistle crew...

Last second FG attempt by A1. (Team A was down by 2) A1 was fouled, then buzzer sounded. (Shot did not go in)

U2 had definite knowledge that there was .6 seconds left in game.

U2 was at table instructing clock operator to put .6 seconds on clock.

During this time, the R (thinking there was no time left) had told the players to "Clear the Lane" for A1's FT attempts.

A1 made his first FT, with no players on the lane.

U2 blew whistle and informed the R that there was indeed .6 seconds left in game.

NOTE: We all know that the Officials should have slowed down and got together BEFORE the FT action...but, they did not.

Sooooo, how are you going to administer this without one of the Teams protesting that a rule was miss-applied? (This game went into 3 OTs)
Richland, WA
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 02:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Shoot the 2nd free throw with 0.6 on the clock, and players along the lane line. There is no correctable error to address in this situation.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Let me try without the book handy...

Rebounding is not an issue with the first of multiple FTs so all we have is a violation on B for not having someone in the lowest lane space. Since the FT attempt was successful I am counting it. Get the time back on the clock, get the shooter back on the line with the lane spaces occupied and shoot the second.

I think I could sell this to the coaches as the violation on the first ignored since it was successful and we are picking up with play as required.

But that's just me...I have been known to be wrong before.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well I am not sure I would give a violation to a team that I told to not be on the lane. I think that is on "us" as officials.

This is why you slow down so you do not have to contemplate the consequences of the screw up.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Second free throw was good and with the lane full. Team B inbounds and does not score. (tie game)
So team B is upset that free throw no. 1 with out the lane filled let team A gain an advantage,right? My experience has been that a cleared lane and all eyes on the shooter tends to make them more nervous anyway. Since Team A won the final over-time,Team B Coach is grabing for straws.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Let me try without the book handy...

Rebounding is not an issue with the first of multiple FTs so all we have is a violation on B for not having someone in the lowest lane space. Since the FT attempt was successful I am counting it. Get the time back on the clock, get the shooter back on the line with the lane spaces occupied and shoot the second.

I think I could sell this to the coaches as the violation on the first ignored since it was successful and we are picking up with play as required.

But that's just me...I have been known to be wrong before.
see BadNews response. that is how you handle it. the free throw was merited. it isn't a violation because the R told them to clear the lane. officials error.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 02:27pm
Stubborn Member

We made a mistake coach, sorry.

You can't re-shoot the first FT attempt, as there is no rule allowing you to do so (meaning it's not a correctable error). So you fix things and shoot the second like normal and move on.

And how can you call a violation on a team when it's your fault they violated in the first place?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 02:48pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
And how can you call a violation on a team when it's your fault they violated in the first place?
I feel the same way in this situation, and I wouldn't call a violation on Team B either...

but...

Let's say you administer a throw-in while one team has 6 players on the court. Are you going to not call a T because of an "officiating mistake"?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 02:53pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I feel the same way in this situation, and I wouldn't call a violation on Team B either...

but...

Let's say you administer a throw-in while one team has 6 players on the court. Are you going to not call a T because of an "officiating mistake"?
I'd still call the tech, but the two situations are not the same.

In the first case an official told the players to clear the lane, thus creating the violation on Team B.

In your case, the official(s) didn't create the tech situation, they merely didn't do anything to avoid it.

Note: Even though it's not our responsibility, I still count players and would avoid the "too many players" tech.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Shoot the 2nd free throw with 0.6 on the clock, and players along the lane line. There is no correctable error to address in this situation.
Let us play "Devil's advocate"...and "what if" this scenario....

What if A1 MISSED the first FT?

Team A Coach: "Hey, Team B VIOLATED by not being in the lower blocks! The rules say they should be there...I want another FT!"

R: "We screwed up."

Coach: "Give me a rule reference...or I protest....and don't give me that 2-3 BS"

Our state will recongnize a protest if a rule is miss-applied.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Wed Dec 17, 2014 at 03:48pm.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 03:46pm
TODO: creative title here

NFHS doesn't recognize protests in basketball (5-4-2).

If he wants a rules reference, I'd probably have to go to the "points not covered in the rules" clause.

Either way, expect the sh_tstorm to ensue, and call your assigner as soon as you possibly can.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 03:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post

Team A Coach: "Hey, Team B VIOLATED by not being in the lower blocks! The rules say they should be there...I want another FT!"

Coach: "Give me a rule reference...or I protest."
Easy, we don't accept protests here.

I'd tell him to go ahead and protest.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I am lining it up for second shot with players. Since he made the FT there is no harm done.

Anytime an official is "leaving the game" which means going to the table to resolve a scoring/timing issue, he needs to get to the nearest partner to let him know - especially during free throw administration. There is a reason all but one correctable error involves Free Throw Shooting.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 03:51pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post

Coach: "Give me a rule reference...or I protest."
R: "Coach, by telling Team B they had to clear the lane for the free throw, we caused them to violate. Therefore we can't call a violation on them. Furthermore, it's not a correctable error."

There are many instances where officials make mistakes, and the game is picked up where you left off. Think of inadvertent whistles.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

"Protest noted." (thought: now sit down and shut up)

And, if it's not ROP (and this wasn't so indicated), it's a T if B is not in the lower spaces after being directed, not a violation.

See 10.1.5C