The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Tippy toes backcourt

Interesting play my crew had the other night. During a sideline inbound play A1 passed the ball to A2. A2 caught the ball and had both of the front of her shoes in the frontcourt just in front of the halfcourt line. She stayed on her tippy toes for a half-second and then placed her heels on the ground on the line.

What do you have???
My partner called a backcourt violation. My other partner disagreed with the call after the game. I am still not sure.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 10:44am
TODO: creative title here

If she wasn't touching the backcourt (or the division line) while standing on her tippy-toes, then she had frontcourt status, and team control of the ball in the frontcourt after a thrown-in.

When her heels touched the division line, she now had backcourt status.

Thus, violation.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

If the player was in the air when she caught the ball, and then landed with her toes in the FC, and then put the heels on the ground in the BC, it's legal, I think.

If she caught the ball while on the ground, then I agree it's a violation.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc3 View Post
Interesting play my crew had the other night. During a sideline inbound play A1 passed the ball to A2. A2 caught the ball and had both of the front of her shoes in the frontcourt just in front of the halfcourt line. She stayed on her tippy toes for a half-second and then placed her heels on the ground on the line.

What do you have???
My partner called a backcourt violation. My other partner disagreed with the call after the game. I am still not sure.
What was the reasoning for your other partner not thinking this was a violation?

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

If she's the first to touch the ball inbounds while airborne, she can make a normal landing anywhere regardless of FC/BC status. If she's on the ground when she catches the ball and no part of her is touching BC, then she and the ball have FC status. When she puts her heels on the line, she and the ball then have BC status and a violation occurs.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 11:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the player was in the air when she caught the ball, and then landed with her toes in the FC, and then put the heels on the ground in the BC, it's legal, I think...
You are correct. Player is given leeway for normal landing actions.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the player was in the air when she caught the ball, and then landed with her toes in the FC, and then put the heels on the ground in the BC, it's legal, I think.

i'm not going to require her to come down exactly flat footed etc…natural landing ok as others have said. but if, as in the play here, she hangs up on the toes in front court, (not natural) then puts heels down still a violation.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
i'm not going to require her to come down exactly flat footed etc…natural landing ok as others have said. but if, as in the play here, she hangs up on the toes in front court, (not natural) then puts heels down still a violation.
There is a case play (or interp) where the player lands on one foot, balances that way for a while, and then puts the second foot down in the BC. Ruling: Legal.

I think the same concept applies.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a case play (or interp) where the player lands on one foot, balances that way for a while, and then puts the second foot down in the BC. Ruling: Legal.

I think the same concept applies.
that has to be an interp. throw in back court exception in rule uses phrase "normal landing" . player who catches ball in air can make "normal landing" and doesn't matter which foot hits first where….

a normal landing can vary i suppose if another player is around but if player catches ball with one foot in front court and just lets one foot hang in air (because he is being abnormal)that is not normal landing. if he then puts the foot in the back court i am going to call the violation. same with the toes. i will give player every opportunity to make a normal landing but if he or she is on toes and stays there, as opposed to coming down normally, and then puts heels down, I'm going to call the violation.
because that's not normal...

Last edited by BigCat; Fri Dec 12, 2014 at 12:57pm.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

It's possible I am mis-remembering the interp.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

j51969,

My other partner disagreed with the call because he believed that she should be able to put her whole foot down due to the short length of time she was on her tippy toes.

Last edited by wjc3; Fri Dec 12, 2014 at 02:50pm.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

9.9.1 SITUATION A:

A1 catches the throw-in pass with one foot on the floor in A's frontcourt and the other foot not touching the floor. The non-pivot foot then comes down in A's backcourt.

RULING: Violation. Player and team control are established in A's frontcourt when A1 catches the throw-in pass. The violation occurs when A1 subsequently touches the backcourt with the non-pivot foot. (4-12-6; 9-9-3)
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 02:58pm
Administrator

Quote:

Bob:

Per NFHS R9-S9-A3 and NFHS Casebook Play 9.9.1 Situation B(a) the play in the OP is a violation.

R9-S9-A3: During a jump ball, throw-in or while on defense, a player may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

Casebook Play 9.9.1 Situation B: During a jump ball, A1 taps the ball. A2 takes off from Team A's frontcourt and catches the ball while in the air. A2 lands with: (a) both feet in frontcourt and then steps to backcourt with one foot; (b) one foot in backcourt and one in the frontcourt; or (c) both feet in the backcourt.

RULING: Team control is not established until A2 catches the ball. Violation in (a). Legal in (b) and (c). (4-12-6; 9-9-3)

A2's landed with both feet in Team A's Front Court. Per rule, landing with both feet in the Front Court does not meet the exception that the rule describes.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 04:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc3 View Post
j51969,

My other partner disagreed with the call because he believed that she should be able to put her whole foot down due to the short length of time she was on her tippy toes.
Then he should submit a rule change request to the Fed.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 04:25pm
We don't rent pigs

It is normal for a player to land on the toes followed by the heels. The question is how long are they allowed to complete the landing? I think if the player obviously made a conscious effort to stop on just the toes, and stayed there for a noticeable length of time, the landing is over.

Lonesome Dove