The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 11:31am

Technical and throw-in spot

Team A is ready for throw-in under their own basket when the table blows the horn and informs us that B22 had gone in the game but his number was not in the book. So we give A two free throws and are getting ready to give the ball to A for the throw-in at the division line. I knew we were doing it right but the thought did cross my mind that A is losing the opportunity to throw it in under their basket. But what do you do? Right before the ball is given to his player Coach A points to the baseline and asks "Can't we throw it in down there?" I just have to shrug my shoulders and tell him no. He was fine but I think he felt like he lost the chance to do something he would have liked to do even though the technical foul was on the other team.

It seems like maybe that under some circumstances there could be an addition to the penalty for a technical foul that maybe the offended team could get the throw in from the spot of their choice.

I'm sure there's problems with doing something like that too but it's just a thought.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
Team A is ready for throw-in under their own basket when the table blows the horn and informs us that B22 had gone in the game but his number was not in the book. So we give A two free throws and are getting ready to give the ball to A for the throw-in at the division line. I knew we were doing it right but the thought did cross my mind that A is losing the opportunity to throw it in under their basket. But what do you do? Right before the ball is given to his player Coach A points to the baseline and asks "Can't we throw it in down there?" I just have to shrug my shoulders and tell him no. He was fine but I think he felt like he lost the chance to do something he would have liked to do even though the technical foul was on the other team.

It seems like maybe that under some circumstances there could be an addition to the penalty for a technical foul that maybe the offended team could get the throw in from the spot of their choice.

I'm sure there's problems with doing something like that too but it's just a thought.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why rules are the way they are, but I would guess this sort of thing is why NCAA restarts at POI for most technical fouls.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't we just go through this about a week ago?

The two FTS "makes up for" any loss of positioning for the throw-in. If enough people (coaches, primarily) support a change, it will be enacted.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 01:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
His team had an opportunity to score 2 uncontested points and then set up for another offensive possession.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I brought up this issue about seven years ago on the forum. Do a search to find the thread.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

My scenario was a situation in which Team A trails by 3 with only a second remaining and has a front court throw-in. It could be beneficial for Team B to take a technical foul and give up the two FTs to get the throw-in spot moved back to the division line.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 03:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
My scenario was a situation in which Team A trails by 3 with only a second remaining and has a front court throw-in. It could be beneficial for Team B to take a technical foul and give up the two FTs to get the throw-in spot moved back to the division line.
Not sure about that. This isn't like yardage, especially considering a team down three is likely not throwing the ball into the paint anyway. The thorw in pass is likely headed to the same area whether it's from the endline or the division line.

Maybe we could allow a team to decline a penalty, though. Want to keep your throw in spot? Ok, but you don't get the FTs.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 03:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Not sure about that. This isn't like yardage, especially considering a team down three is likely not throwing the ball into the paint anyway. The thorw in pass is likely headed to the same area whether it's from the endline or the division line.
Agreed...and personally, as a player who was an excellent passer, I would rather have a throw-in from the division line; eliminates the backboard as an obstacle.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Agreed...and personally, as a player who was an excellent passer, I would rather have a throw-in from the division line; eliminates the backboard as an obstacle.
What if the original throw-in spot was FT line extended?
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 12:54am
AremRed

Quote:

What bob said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Do a search to find the thread.
LOL