The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical and throw-in spot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98812-technical-throw-spot.html)

sj Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:31am

Technical and throw-in spot

Team A is ready for throw-in under their own basket when the table blows the horn and informs us that B22 had gone in the game but his number was not in the book. So we give A two free throws and are getting ready to give the ball to A for the throw-in at the division line. I knew we were doing it right but the thought did cross my mind that A is losing the opportunity to throw it in under their basket. But what do you do? Right before the ball is given to his player Coach A points to the baseline and asks "Can't we throw it in down there?" I just have to shrug my shoulders and tell him no. He was fine but I think he felt like he lost the chance to do something he would have liked to do even though the technical foul was on the other team.

It seems like maybe that under some circumstances there could be an addition to the penalty for a technical foul that maybe the offended team could get the throw in from the spot of their choice.

I'm sure there's problems with doing something like that too but it's just a thought.

La Rikardo Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj (Post 946324)
Team A is ready for throw-in under their own basket when the table blows the horn and informs us that B22 had gone in the game but his number was not in the book. So we give A two free throws and are getting ready to give the ball to A for the throw-in at the division line. I knew we were doing it right but the thought did cross my mind that A is losing the opportunity to throw it in under their basket. But what do you do? Right before the ball is given to his player Coach A points to the baseline and asks "Can't we throw it in down there?" I just have to shrug my shoulders and tell him no. He was fine but I think he felt like he lost the chance to do something he would have liked to do even though the technical foul was on the other team.

It seems like maybe that under some circumstances there could be an addition to the penalty for a technical foul that maybe the offended team could get the throw in from the spot of their choice.

I'm sure there's problems with doing something like that too but it's just a thought.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why rules are the way they are, but I would guess this sort of thing is why NCAA restarts at POI for most technical fouls.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:41pm

Didn't we just go through this about a week ago?

The two FTS "makes up for" any loss of positioning for the throw-in. If enough people (coaches, primarily) support a change, it will be enacted.

Raymond Wed Dec 10, 2014 01:09pm

Quote:

His team had an opportunity to score 2 uncontested points and then set up for another offensive possession.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 10, 2014 03:01pm

I brought up this issue about seven years ago on the forum. Do a search to find the thread.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 10, 2014 03:04pm

My scenario was a situation in which Team A trails by 3 with only a second remaining and has a front court throw-in. It could be beneficial for Team B to take a technical foul and give up the two FTs to get the throw-in spot moved back to the division line.

Adam Wed Dec 10, 2014 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 946368)
My scenario was a situation in which Team A trails by 3 with only a second remaining and has a front court throw-in. It could be beneficial for Team B to take a technical foul and give up the two FTs to get the throw-in spot moved back to the division line.

Not sure about that. This isn't like yardage, especially considering a team down three is likely not throwing the ball into the paint anyway. The thorw in pass is likely headed to the same area whether it's from the endline or the division line.

Maybe we could allow a team to decline a penalty, though. Want to keep your throw in spot? Ok, but you don't get the FTs.

Raymond Wed Dec 10, 2014 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 946376)
Not sure about that. This isn't like yardage, especially considering a team down three is likely not throwing the ball into the paint anyway. The thorw in pass is likely headed to the same area whether it's from the endline or the division line.

Agreed...and personally, as a player who was an excellent passer, I would rather have a throw-in from the division line; eliminates the backboard as an obstacle.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 10, 2014 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 946378)
Agreed...and personally, as a player who was an excellent passer, I would rather have a throw-in from the division line; eliminates the backboard as an obstacle.

What if the original throw-in spot was FT line extended?

AremRed Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:54am

Quote:

What bob said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 946366)
Do a search to find the thread.

LOL