The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 02:42am
Administrator

I would like to add one other observation before going back to bed. Notice which foot W-54 is her pivot foot. It is her left foot. Her pivot has her opening or pivoting away from her teammate who is being guarded by the screenee. W-54, during her pivot, has not left her original spot on the court.

I would also like to add that I hope W-54 sent her check to Bill Lambeer for teaching her how to set a pick, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 03:43am
We don't rent pigs

The footwork was not the illegal part. Yes, her right foot went back. But, from where I'm sitting, her left shoulder went forward.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 04:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I've heard some suggest that the L doesn't need to come over until the ball gets lower (below the FT line) if there is no post action on that side.

Either way, the right call was made by the right person from approximately the right location regardless of whether they were T or C.
There's a halfcourt trap developing. The L should get across so the C can officiate this as the T.

Frankly, it looks bad, but the quality of video is lacking.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
The L isn't in the shot when the call gets made... it's possible that either the L had rotated but the C hadn't had a chance to recognize that fact and move to T yet (plausible... there's a lot of action happening in C's area when as soon as the ball gets to the frontcourt)
OR
(and I hope this isn't the case) the T was slow getting to the frontcourt from the backcourt, so the L couldn't rotate yet.
You can tell the L hadn't rotated by the where the L eventually enters the frame....from an angle not on the same side as the foul.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 04:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You can tell the L hadn't rotated by the where the L eventually enters the frame....from an angle not on the same side as the foul.
It just tells me the L isn't actively looking to rotate to get the crew in the best possible configuration. Why work 3-person if you're going to have only one official ballside?
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 09:17am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There's a halfcourt trap developing. The L should get across so the C can officiate this as the T.
Wouldn't matter. Even if the Lead is coming across I don't see a good Center official bailing out from FTLE before this play develops. The Lead should probably be going across when he sees the play come down C's side, but C should be able to referee a 1 on 1 matchup with a screener pretty easily.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 09:44am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The footwork was not the illegal part. Yes, her right foot went back. But, from where I'm sitting, her left shoulder went forward.

I am not trying to sound snarky but of course her entire body rotated around her left foot.

On the other hand, I think the better argument for a possible foul on W-54, is that by stepping toward the basket as she pivoted she changed direction and did not give the defender Time and Distance, but I personally think that is a stretch because the contact is simultaneous with W-54 starting her pivot.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Turned and got burned...

Everything about the screen was legal (insert dramatic pause hear) until she turned and moved to the basket before contact was made (ok, maybe at exactly the same time but too close to call). Essentially it looks as if she gave up her LGP and hit the defender with her shoulder instead of waiting for the defender to come all the way into her with the contact.

I could be convinced this was a 50/50 call and understand 100% why the ref called.the way he did.

On a side note, I am seeing a lot more players bailing early on charges/screens as if there afraid to take the contact. This results in either a baby flop with minimal contact or a foul on that player. Perhaps kids just aren't tough enough any more to stand in there and take one for the team.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 01:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Wouldn't matter. Even if the Lead is coming across I don't see a good Center official bailing out from FTLE before this play develops. The Lead should probably be going across when he sees the play come down C's side, but C should be able to referee a 1 on 1 matchup with a screener pretty easily.
I disagree. As C, I'm moving up a bit higher to get a better look at this. I think he got the right call, but he seems to be straight lined on the play.

Yes, I'm picking nits, but that's what we do.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Everything about the screen was legal (insert dramatic pause hear) until she turned and moved to the basket before contact was made (ok, maybe at exactly the same time but too close to call). Essentially it looks as if she gave up her LGP and hit the defender with her shoulder instead of waiting for the defender to come all the way into her with the contact.

I could be convinced this was a 50/50 call and understand 100% why the ref called.the way he did.
Sounds good to me.

But I'm still listening for that dramatic pause.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent call. She just about decapitates the defender as she turns the shoulder into her.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 05:01pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
Excellent call. She just about decapitates the defender as she turns the shoulder into her.

I am the King of Hyperbole and I wouldn't go that far.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

I've got a foul on W54.

She was not stationary at the time of contact, and while the video quality is poor, looking carefully you can see her left shoulder moving towards the defender immediately prior to contact. Further, even though she initially pivoted on her left foot, almost immediately with the contact she stepped forward with her left foot into the defender and you can see her using her left arm to push the defender to the floor. If the initial contact wasn't a foul, what immediately followed certainly was.

Good call IMHO.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Good call.

Last edited by constable; Sun Dec 07, 2014 at 07:21am.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 11:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Why hadn't lead rotated over on this one? No reason to have that call made as C.

Good call.

Coach might get stuck for that little antic, depending....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
The L isn't in the shot when the call gets made... it's possible that either the L had rotated but the C hadn't had a chance to recognize that fact and move to T yet (plausible... there's a lot of action happening in C's area when as soon as the ball gets to the frontcourt)
OR
(and I hope this isn't the case) the T was slow getting to the frontcourt from the backcourt, so the L couldn't rotate yet.
The Trail is extremely slow getting across the division line. The Lead was probably enjoying the view and forgot the he needs to rotate.