The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 08:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I understand, just saying the JV games are often some of the more laid back games. Usually these games are Saturday morning and they piece together players for the games. I even had a team on time show up late (bus did not pick up team in at a proper time. We sat for about 40 minutes and when the game started, we did two running clock halves. This is not always the case, but often not a huge deal with if we do what we can to allow the kids to play.

Peace
That sounds like the sophomore games around here. Not even all the 4A and 5A schools field sophomore teams.

The JV games, however, are normally treated like mini-varsity games.

If I recall, the JV games I worked in Iowa were like you describe, because the sophomore games were essentially treated like the mini-varsity games. Just a switch in terminology.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'd T the team that did NOT bring the white uniforms, and NOT T the team that changed uniforms, even if that resulted in a number change.

See 3.4.1A
I read the case play. I can see what you mean.

Penalize the team who was supposed to bring the whites, no matter which one actually ends up putting the whites on. Would you still penalize them if they changed before the game?

I'm pretty sure the team that ended up going to get their whites is the team that was supposed to wear them to begin with.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I read the case play. I can see what you mean.

Penalize the team who was supposed to bring the whites, no matter which one actually ends up putting the whites on. Would you still penalize them if they changed before the game?

I'm pretty sure the team that ended up going to get their whites is the team that was supposed to wear them to begin with.
Play 1) H shows up in blue. Changes to White. Ruling 1) Penalize any scorebook changes. No penalty just for changing uniforms.

Play 2) H shows up in blue. V changes to white. Ruling 2) Penalize H for illegal uniforms. Let V change, including numbers in book, with no penalty
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Play 1) H shows up in blue. Changes to White. Ruling 1) Penalize any scorebook changes. No penalty just for changing uniforms.

Play 2) H shows up in blue. V changes to white. Ruling 2) Penalize H for illegal uniforms. Let V change, including numbers in book, with no penalty
Got it. I'm fairly sure #1 is what happened, but I'm not positive. I just (maybe wrongly) assumed that the team that changed to white was supposed to wear white to start with. I'll make sure to ask next time. That was the first time in eight years I've had someone not show up in white uniforms.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 10:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
In most areas JV games are the equivalent of IL (at least Chicagoland) Soph games -- that is, the game that's played before the varsity game. In IL, the administrative procedures for Soph games are "more by the book" than for the JV games.
Outside of the Chicago area, they call the JV team what we call the Sophomore team and especially the smaller schools. Schools that are small usually do not have an A or B team at a level also.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 05:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Constitution State ...

I figured that I would add my two cents. Public, and Catholic, high schools here in Connecticut field three teams for each gender: varsity, junior varsity, and freshman. Officials are expected to go by the book (pregame conference, jackets, observe warmups, pregame coaches and captains, check the book, etc.) for all three teams, with the possible exception of taping up a few numbers to make them legal, or non-duplicates, for subvarsity games.

Private prep schools pretty much follow suit with the exception of having A and B teams on the subvarsity level. If parents are paying thousands of dollars to send their kids to a private school and the kids want to play basketball, the school makes sure that there are teams available.

I've never heard of sophomore basketball teams before I joined the Forum. Football, yes, Basketball, no.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 05, 2014 at 06:05pm.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2014, 06:01pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I figured that I would add my two cents. Public, and Catholic, high schools here in Connecticut field three teams for each gender: varsity, junior varsity, and freshman. Officials are expected to go by the book for all three teams, with the possible exception of taping up a few numbers to make them legal, or non-duplicates, for subvarsity games.

Private prep schools pretty much follow suit with the exception of having A and B teams on the subvarsity level. If parents are paying thousands of dollars to send their kids to a private school and the kids want to play basketball, the school makes sure that there are teams available.

I've never heard of sophomore basketball teams before I joined the Forum. Football, yes, Basketball, no.

I am going to piggy back onto Billy's post here. Over the course of my many years of officiating H.S. basketball I have officiated freshmen, jr. varsity, varsity in four states (Ohio, Florida, California, and that state up north which is Michigan for non-fans of The Ohio State University). And in each of those states the games were officiated by the NFHS (or NBCUSC when I was in Florida and my Ancient Days in Ohio) and we check the Book. I have only officiated JrHS games in Ohio and Michigan and we also check the Book in those games because it is required by the Rules.

With regards to CYO, youth tournaments, I cannot ever remember checking the Book per se. But in AAU and YBOA national tournaments my partners and I most certainly checked the Book.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I handle any JV games I might work as the scorer the same as a varsity contest.Starters marked and everything else I might do for a varsity contest.The kids and coaches deserve that much because it is the most important game on the court at that point.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sat Dec 06, 2014, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I understand, just saying the JV games are often some of the more laid back games. Usually these games are Saturday morning and they piece together players for the games. I even had a team on time show up late (bus did not pick up team in at a proper time. We sat for about 40 minutes and when the game started, we did two running clock halves. This is not always the case, but often not a huge deal with if we do what we can to allow the kids to play.

Peace
We called those Varsity Reserves.

I would have picked his starters and told the coach at te intro meeting, "I hope you like the starters I picked for you" He could change with a T or play as marked.