The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Wrong Starters in the book to start the game

We have been having many discussions lately on the beginning of the game and the book. The situation is this. To start the game each team has 5 starters on the floor and the ball is thrown for the tip. After a couple trips up and down the floor the horn sounds and the book shows us that the players that started the game are not the ones marked in the book. The NFHS rule book states that once the ball becomes live all players are now legal and there is no penalty. Others officials say that since the same 5 players that were in the book didn't start the game then there is a technical foul. I would love some help on this one. What is correct? Technical foul or play on?

Thanks
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Play on.

If it's discovered before the game starts, then the coach can (a) put the marked startes in the game, or (b) take a T for changing the starters.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Wrong Starters in book to start the game

I will say , take a moment before the toss and have the coaches and table to verify who the starters will be

This is not to hard to do , if you can avoid the Technical please do so
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:03pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Play on.

If it's discovered before the game starts, then the coach can (a) put the marked startes in the game, or (b) take a T for changing the starters.
+ 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitveer View Post
Technical foul or play on?
Play on, since the ball has become live to start the game. 10-1-2-a-Penalty
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 06:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Designated Starters ...

If a team changes a designated starter (with exceptions) after the ten minute time limit, then a team technical foul is charged. If a player starts, and that player was not designated to be a starter, the infraction has to be discovered, and penalized, before the ball becomes live to start the game. Once the ball becomes live, it is too late to penalize this specific infraction, and no penalty can be assessed. As a reminder, the ball becomes live when: on a jump ball, the tossed ball leaves the referee’s hand; on a throw-in, it is at the disposal of the thrower; and on a free throw, it is at the disposal of the free thrower.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 06:35pm
(Something hilarious)

And techincally, when starting the game, the ball can only become live either during a jump ball or when the ball is at the disposal of a free thrower.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Exactly-it has to be caught before the ball becomes live.I've had coaches come up to me and ask to change a starter after the deadline and here's what I always say:"Coach if you would like to change a starter at this point in the clock it is an administrative technical foul."and proceed to notify my floor officials that a starter has been changed after deadline .Once they hear the words "Administrative Technical Foul" come out of my mouth they always withdraw the request.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 08:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Administrative Infraction Technical Fouls ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
"Administrative Technical Foul"
Technically (no pun intended), no such beast in the rule book, but we all know what you mean, and it still scares the heck out of coaches.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)